Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
No problem!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
J
I know this is an old post but would like to share some info. There is some good speech to text software available now, to help anyone with writing issues. My son never learned cursive. Even with printing, the letters don't always come automatically to him. Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 is wonderful, with little training required.

Also, he cannot listen and write at the same time. He is an auditory learner. But trying to remember how to write the letter, spell the word and listen is overload. He ends up with unreadable notes and missed much of the lecture. There is a carbon type paper another student can use to he has a good copy of notes. Or the teacher should supply them.

Another note - Making letters backwards is only a small part of Dyslexia. It really is more that they have a difficult time with the sounds that go with the letters and how they blend together.
j

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Juliegee, thank you for sharing. I'd like to hear other readers input on help for dyslexia, also.

Koala
Koala
I would think that the Dragon speak software would be more of a cruch. you would not have to learn to read or write because the software does it for you. it would be ok for those of us that already read and write but for those that are learning...it would not help them. it would be more of a block to learning. not everything that you have to read or write is on the computer....

On the other hand, for people like me that get head aches from reading for a long time and cant spell worth a [censored] it would be a Godsend!!

J
J
Many people use "crutches" while they heal, others may use them for life. My son rarely finished a book he started until we began using books on tape. It took the frustration and distraction away so he could enjoy a book and learn to love reading rather than hating a chore. He now reads on his own for pleasure.

As long as someone has remediation to take them as far as they can go, why deny them tools to allow them success? Or allow them to see what success feels like while they are learning?

Screen readers can allow someone success and some independence while remediation is taking place. It should never be used in place of that.

Dyslexia never goes away, just like many other disabilities. You would never consider denying someone a wheelchair because physical therapy to help them walk is ongoing.

BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Juliegee, well-made points! Are you a teacher?

J
J
Just a parent who has literally fought the school district to help my son. Wished I'd learned my child's rights many years ago to avoid major failure and depression later.

He now reads wonderfully thanks to private remediation. Writing is another issue.

Advocacy and rights have become a passion. Schools can't and/or won't know all. It ultimately falls on the parents to push, pull and kick their way to successful programs for their children. All while maintaining some semblance of "team" with teachers and admin. Tough balancing act. Mama Bear sometimes rears her ugly head :-)

j

Koala
Koala
Oh I understand were you are comming from completely and I didnt mean that people should not use it at all I just ment that it can become a handicap to learning if used wrong. But if you have teachers who know how to teach then it is a great advantage!
but more often then not the teachers would see this as a easy way out the child can learn to use the computer program and they pass the classes so they dont have to really teach the child to read or write. In college I had books on type and they were so great because I didnt have the migranes and the frusturation that came with reading. but I CAN read if I need too.

I would hate for a child to become use to the software that will read and write for them and they never learn to write things for themselvies or to read on there own....

lets say you have a 2nd grades that starts useing this software and she still has a problem reconizing letters and she cant write them. If the teacher is ok with her useing the software for everything she does she can probly go through highschool and not learn her letters or write very well. this is a disservice to the child!
but if you take a child in 6th grade and they can write and read words but it is very difficult and frustrating for them then by all means use the software!! by this time the child has learn to cope with dyslexia and can function in the world.

if you go all the way through school and cant cope with your disablity then just the simple act of cooking, paying bills, reading maps and road signs becomes a great big challange for this child.

Does that explain better?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Celestine - Learning Dis 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.