Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I started by looking at the chapters listing at the ASA website - [url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Here's some more for the list, Bonnie--

Craigslist [url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Thanks Deb. I have been reading posts on all these boards and trying to decide if I will post. We can take in a single parent and a child, and I would prefer to help out those who have a disabled child.

I noticed many from CA posting offering help.

I forgot when watching CNN earlier that they mentioned a section of their site putting people in touch with each other:

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/animal_environ/hurricanes/?source=CNN&cmpgn=CRS

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/30/katrina.advice.alabama/index.html

AUTISM site
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
There is more information on donating to the 'first responders,' as well as the people affected by the hurricane and flooding, linked from an article at Special Needs Children. I would like to link to the additional resources listed here - they would be very helpful to families who want to help as well as those who need help.

Pam W
SE of Seattle
Hurricane Katrina
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art35205.asp

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Hey Pam - just read your article. We think alike since I have a note here written out about the sesame workshops site too. I saw that on CNN Headline News last nite and noted that they said they will be re-airing the hurricane segments with Big Bird the week of September 12th.

They also mentioned that the Friend's Rescue is now available on DVD and VHS.

I saw at their site one of the recommended readings was the Alexander and the Terrible Horrible Day. I wrote a review on that movie - we taped it off of HBO a few years ago and it has been very helpful to my older son on the Autism Spectrum over the years. My non verbal son likes watching it and the accompanying music.

http://www.epinions.com/content_83711659652

It looked to me like Salvation Army got in the region quickly and was handing out toiletries. Another organization worth noting is the one that is run by Franklin Graham - Samaritan's Purse

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
feed the children

Last nite on the MSNBC show - Scarborough Country - Joe was saying how his wife drove up from Pensacola Florida - two hours and brought items and posted an address for people to send items and suggested other people do the same thing. Pack your car with diapers, formula, water and other related items, drive up to Biloxi, Mississipi and drop it off and then turn around and go home.

He said how others from the areas affected now from Hurricane Katrina helped out his area for weeks in Pensacola and how much that helped.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/

Watching last nite the local Los Angeles news at 11 pm I saw several reporters live on the scene of the disaster. It is amazing how they can all get there but not the help. The same thing was happening with the Tsunami last winter. The organizations need to take a lesson from the reporters and move quickly.

Last edited by BellaAutismHost; 09/01/05 10:40 AM.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I took my son to school and went to the grocery store with my older son - then home and clicked on MSNBC and they were reading some of the posts from the www.nola.com site.

That is good to see the sites are getting mentioned on the news so that those in need can access them. I would imagine that those going to the Houston Astrodome might be able to access internet by the end of the week?

On ABC they said that school starts today in Houston - so those misplaced children might have the option of attending school there. They said they cleared the schedule of the Dome until December.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
The U.S. Coast Guard Rescue Line is - 1-800-323-7233.

AUTISM site
Zebra
Zebra
Tennessee Hotel & Lodging Association has links to major cities coordinating relief efforts, and those cities have a great listing already of shelters, medical help, clothing, where to donate items, etc.

http://www.thla.net

http://www.memphistravel.com/katrina.html#hotels

A
A
You all are great for wanting to step in and help the families of disabled children in New Orleans. I think that such empathy and ability to care for others is one of the definite gifts of having an autistic child. Is anyone else like me that sees a tragedy and immediately thinks of the Autistic children, of how they are struggling and coping, and of their mothers who are handling so much with their special child? I remember a while back, when NYC was having blackouts after 9/11...remember? The only thing I could think of was of some mom out there struggling with no electricity when her Autistic child, like mine, wants to watch videos in his free time and screams when he can't.

I applaud you all for looking into helping, and for sharing what you can with others.

Bye

B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Here is another one to post housing offers and then to search for them:

http://www.hurricanehousing.org

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
United Cerebral Palsy has set-up an emergency hotline for United Cerebral Palsy of New Orleans. Concerned consumers and their families, employees and volunteers can call (800) 872-5827 to receive information, as well as leave messages about their personal status.

People can also visit the UCP of Greater New Orleans Web site at http://www.ucpgno.org to leave messages for consumers and employees. National and regional staff will monitor both message systems.

United Cerebral Palsy has set-up a Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief Fund to provide services to people with disabilities affected by hurricane Katrina and assist UCP affiliates throughout the region restore their operations as quickly as possible. If you are able to help, we you encourage you to make an online donation at
http://www.ucp.org/donate

AUTISM site
Gecko
Gecko
Having been here in Pensacola for the past 42 years, we appreciate the help from everyone after Hurricane Ivan. However, in the first little while after the storm, getting in and out is not the easiest thing to do. Yesterday my husband, his sister and brother drove two cars to Ocean Springs to deliver generator, gas, ice, water and food to his sister. It took four hours to get to Mobile (60 miles). The traffic is bumper to bumper and there is a gas crunch going on here. Joe's thoughts are in the right place but rather than everyone doing this, collections need to be made here and a truck sent over with needed items. When Ivan came we all stood in the ice, water and MRE lines, and not for the first time. There has been no phone communication west of Mobile except for two brief spots somewhere in Mississippi, and I do not think anything is open. Please do not think I am discounting the idea, but only emergency and other necessary people should be going into these areas at first. Perhaps Joe's wife can organize a donation site and we can fill the truck with a lot of things and send it there. And, we are not finished with hurricane season yet.

B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I still find it amazing that all these reporters from all over the country can get into these areas, but not the aide. Are the reporters and their crews bringing some supplies and then they take time away from all the workers to be interviewed, I don't really think that is worth while, their break should be resting and drinking water and not being on every single newscast on network tv and cable news.

I liked seeing how the Houston Astrodome has a large board for people to post and then Greta showed on Fox News a form they are handing out for people to list an email address and note they want to get sent. American Red Cross is doing that for them.

I also heard the Astrodome is not accepting anymore. I wonder if my Governor - AKA Terminator is going to step up to the plate. I am in walking disatance of Dodger Stadium. The local news collected a million plus yesterday at Dodger Stadium and Arrowhead Pond. Today they were at the Rose Bowl.

I saw the lines for gas. Here in Los Angeles on Monday gas was 2.89, Tuesday 2.99 and Wed 3.19 and still the same today. This is one down the street and then a few blocks away it is 2.82 - I bought mine on Monday for 2.73 -near the LA Zoo there are a few places cheaper and they are off the 5 freeway. They always say the ones near fwys are more expensive - but not necessarily so.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Graceview Baptist Church in Tomball, on the north side of
Houston, is a designated Red Cross Shelter and they have a
special needs ministry: 25510 Tomball Parkway, Tomball, TX 77375
===========

The ARC of Greater Houston is Coordinating Housing for Families with Special Needs. The ARC will be the clearing house for those in the Houston area who ar willing to open
their homes to families with children who have cognitive, intelectual or developmental disabilities and are in the
Houston area, having fled the hurricane damage. If you are
willing to be on that contact list, or know of people who
need assistance, please call our office. We will try to provide information: 713-957-1600. Judith A. Kantorczyk,
Executive Director, The Arc of Greater Houston, phone:
713-957-1600, fax: 713-957-1699,
http://www.thearcofgreaterhouston.com

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
In view of the tremendous needs of families with children on the autism spectrum in the Gulf area hit by the hurricane, Unlocking Autism has set up their website to accept to accept donations for these specific needs.
Shelley Reynolds, UA President, lives in Baton Rouge as
well as several other UA volunteers. UA also has a State
Representative who lives just outside of New Orleans. These contacts will enable them to find needs and distribute funds to those with children with autism. If you would like to specifically help these fmailies you may do so by going to http://www.unlockingautism.org and click on Gulf Disaster Relieft. Unlocking Autism is a non profit (501 c 3) organization.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Camp Yocona, Toccopola, MS (near Oxford) is willing to house up to 350 temporarily (4-5 weeks before we start having space conflicts with groups the facility has committed to). They have cabins which house 8 and each group of cabins (4 to 5)has a bathhouse. Centralized commercial kitchen and dining hall. We have a great gfcf
cook willing to fly over from Hawaii to help get set up etc. if we have a group going there. I also live locally and will help with logistics, etc.

The Ranger at Camp Yocona has asked me to coordinate for them (He's recovering from surgery) please contact me with information.

mitsmom@yahoo.com or 662-488-9619 Peg Pickering
==========

Also, Camp Lake Stephens, Oxford, MS has opened its facilities to anyone who needs them. They have air-conditioned cabins with 8 beds and private baths each. 662.234.3350 Don't have lots of particulars, but these are good Methodist people wanting to help if they can.

They have offered their facilities to several groups and have heard back from none so far. The director of the camp has an autistic son.
======

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Operation Share your Home:

[url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
On CNN they just mentioned someting about a zipcode for the Houston Astrodome so that the refugees can get mail there. I caught the tail end and did not see any address on the screen. They moved on to another story.

If anyone sees that address posted - please mention it here as well.

Thanks

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA, SEPTEMBER 2, 2005 - TheArcLink has created a central online clearinghouse so that family members, case managers, service coordinators or advocates can list people or families who need support.

In addition, people from anywhere in the country can use the site at [url=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Pyramid Parent Training Center, which Ursula and DJ Markey direct, serve over 300 families who have children with disabilities. Some of the Pyramid families escaped from New Orleans. But not all. Those who could not leave have no services now. Nor will they for a long time to come, wherever they are or will be. They desperately need Pyramid's help.

On their behalf, we are establishing the Pyramid Parent Recovery Trust Fund. We are funding it ourselves, personally. But not alone. Beach Center staff members are already contributing to it.

Will you?

Please contact us off line and we will be happy to send you an essay that Ursula and DJ wrote about Pyramid Parent and their work along with their picture.

Then try to walk in their shoes. Their offices and records are flooded; their staff is dispersed; the families they serve are in distress.

Yet Ursula and DJ are determined to carry on, responding in every way possible to the families' needs.

We are determined to help them and the families. Please join us by making a contribution to the Pyramid Parents Trust Fund. Please send your tax-deductible check to us, as trustees. We will administer the Fund according to Ursula and DJ's direction on behalf of the parents and children.

There are but few words left to say. Gratitude is the memory of the heart. You can manifest yours by your action.

With faith and love,

Rud and Ann Turnbull, Trustees
Beach Center on Disability
3111 Haworth Hall, The University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Drive, Lawrence, KS 66045-7534

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Independent Living

As you may know, the Centers for Independent Living in Biloxi, Mississippi and New Orleans have been gravely affected by the hurricane. In fact the Biloxi, MS center was totally destroyed. Many of you are asking how you can help. Here is what we have learned from colleagues in those states.

Sending money is the first priority. Sending supplies to those centers is helpful too but NOT RIGHT NOW, because they can't get through the water. Here are the suggested options for right now:

1) Send a check or credit card payment to the Red Cross and designate it for Hurricane Relief, or designate it for people with disabilities in the Biloxi/Hattiesburg or New Orleans areas.

2) If you want to send money for the CILs that are dealing with this disaster directly, here are your options:

For the Biloxi Center, mail the check (payable to LIFE of Central MS and designated for the Biloxi Center) to:
LIFE of Central Mississippi
754 North President Street, Suite 1
Jackson, MS 39202

For the centers in Louisiana (make checks payable to Resources for Independent Living - this is a branch of the N.O. center - and designate for the New Orleans center) and mail to:

Resources for IL
11931 Industriplex Blvd. Suite 200
Baton Rouge, LA 70809

We have also learned from Mack Marsh of the Shreveport Center that centers in Shreveport, Baton Rouge, and Lake Charles are assisting evacuees. Mack says they would also appreciate supplies if there is any way to get those supplies to the centers. His list includes: manual wheelchairs, hospital beds, adult diapers, bed pads, catheters and other supplies. The address for the Baton Rouge center is shown above, addresses for the Shreveport and Lake Charles centers follow.

Southwest LA Independence Center, Inc.
Mitch Granger
1202 Kirkman, Suite C
Lake Charles, LA 70601

New Horizons, Inc.
Jerry Kidwell
9300 Mansfield Road, Suite 204
Shreveport, LA 71118

We will keep you informed of any additional ways that you can help. Feel free to forward this information to other people interested in the needs of people with disabilities affected by this disaster.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
TASH - Equal, Opportunity and Inclusion for People with Disabilities:

http://www.tash.org/katrinainfo.htm

There is a listing of the closed social security offices in the affected region.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/emergency/

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Easter Seals Gulf Coast Disaster Fund

http://www.easterseals.com/site/PageServer

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Mosaic - Providing Supports and Advocating for People with Disabilities

Several locations in Texas:

http://www.mosaicinfo.org/texas/index.asp

In Bryan, Texas - they are receiving some people and are requesting supports -- specifically clothing, personal hygiene items and also diapers and formula. They can be sent to:

Mosaic
302 Post Office St
Bryan, Texas, 77581

Here is the number - 979.823.7622

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Family Voices - A national nonprofit organization that
advocates for and supports families that have children and youth with special health care needs.

Families Helping Families Hurricane Relief Fund

One hundred percent of the donated funds will be funneled to volunteer family leaders "on the ground" in the affected states, leaders who are already assisting some of the most
vulnerable victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The Centers for Disease Control has estimated that there are at least 99,000 children with special health care needs in Mississippi, 193,000 in Louisiana, 488,000 in Florida, and 152,000 in Alabama. Those children affected by the hurricane face unique and difficult challenges, often needing specialized assistance to keep them healthy and alive. Survival often depends on breathing equipment, special diets, clean surroundings, frequent medications, and even 24-hour nursing care.

The Families Helping Families Hurricane Relief Fund is intended to help these needy families get the specialized assistance they need through the efforts of local family leaders. The Family Voices network of state leaders, all of them parents or family members of children and youth with special health care needs, are part of the Family Voices national grassroots network. These leaders are working with state and local organizations in the communites where hurricane refugees are now being sent. Family Voices leaders in states like Florida and Alabama, who have recently lived through hurricanes, have the tools and experience to provide technical assistance to agencies like the Red Cross and Salvation Army and direct help to hurting families.

Donations to the Families Helping Families fund will pay for items and
services our family leaders have learned are needed - things such as
anti-bacterial wipes, diapers, phone cards, medical care, cash for
medications, gas and food, rent, toys, and clothing.

Donations are being taken via the Family Voices website
http://www.familyvoices.org and via postal mail:

2340 Alamo SE, Suite 102, Albuquerque, NM 87106). For more information, contact Rachel Tallman, 1.888.835.5669.

Family Voices, a national nonprofit organization, advocates for family-centered health care for all children and youth with special health care needs, promotes inclusion of families as decision makers, and supports partnerships between families and professionals.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
The Houston craigslist has a section for Hurricane Katrina:

http://houston.craigslist.org/

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Katrina Disaster Relief Information for People with Disabilities and people who want to help them:

http://www.katrinadisability.info/

Includes shelter information, housing, animals and employment as well as volunteerism.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Here is a list of shelters and food pantries in Houston:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Relief_in_Houston

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
From the Council of Chief State School Officers:

http://www.ccsso.org/whats_new/6907.cfm

Has information for various States on enrolling displaced kids.

http://www.ccsso.org/content/pdfs/KatrinaMemo090205.doc

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I just heard an interview on Fox News channel with the Labor Secretary and she mentioned a grant to get people jobs and also that they can apply for income assistance programs.

Those that cannot work due to floods, etc can apply. They have people going around with laptops to help file claims. She said there was a toll-free number but they never asked and it was not posted.

I did a search and found this website:

Louisiana dept of Labor

Here is a press release with phone numbers:

http://www.ldol.state.la.us/qm_pressrelease_details.asp?PRseqno=307&PRcurrent=Y

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
There is an agency which is collecting monetary donations for families that have taken in family and friends, refugees from the storm. Their goal is to help with the extra food and housing expenses etc. They have a web site:

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/relief/

They said on CNN that they intend to start giving out money on Tuesday.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
MCI has just launched a free service to reunite people without Internet access, but with access to a phone.

The service allows displaced people and those trying to locate them to connect by calling a free phone number.

To register as a displaced person call: 1-877-HELP-KAT (1-877-435-7528)

To locate someone who is missing call:1-866-601-FIND (1-866-601-3463).

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
There is gluten free food available in the Houston area for victims donated by manfacturers.

Those with celiac disease can go to this site for info:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/KatrinaHurricane.php

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
United States Department of Health & Human Services - Health Care Professionals and Relief Personnel Volunteer Page:

https://volunteer.hhs.gov/

This has a listing of the professionals they need now including:

Pharmacists
Dieticians
Dentists
Psychologists
Epidemiologists
Physician's Assistants or Nurse Practitioners
Environmental Health
Physician Chiefs of Staff
Epidemiologists
Respiratory Therapists
Facility Managers
RNs
Housekeepers
Safety Officers

Those who do not fit into their list can go here:

http://usafreedomcorps.gov/

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Project Noah helps homeschoolers of all religious persuasions who have lost everything due to catastrophes such as Hurricane Katrina.

To send donations please ship to: PROJECT NOAH, 15807 Brickman Ct., Houston, TX 77084. Fax number: 281-225-4562 http://www.projectnoah.org/

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Carnival Cruise Lines has chartered the Sensation, Holiday, and Ecstasy* to the Military Sealift Command (MSC) on behalf of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) as part of Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

All Sensation departures from September 5, 2005 through and including March 2, 2006 have been cancelled.

All Holiday departures from September 8, 2005 through March 4, 2006 have been cancelled.

All Elation departures from September 11, 2005 through February 26, 2006 have been cancelled; Elation's 7 day itinerary departing on September 4, 2005 has changed to a 6 day sailing returning on Saturday, September 10, 2005.

Elation will be taking over Ecstasy's sailings.

The Press Release

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Pet ID Microchip companies:

Many animals were found with microchips in all the states hit by Hurricane Katrina. There are several hundred already safely placed; owners should call:
Avid Microchip ID (they also own pet net microchip company): 800 336-2843. Home Again Microchip Recovery: 866-738-4324. Vet-link.com Microchip: 800-838-8563

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Air America Public Voicemail - 1-866-217-6255

Air America Radio's Public Voicemail is a way for disconnected people to communicate in the wake of Katrina.

Call the toll-free number and enter your everyday phone number, and then record a message. Other people who know your everyday phone number (even if it doesn't work anymore) can call Emergency Voicemail, enter the phone number they associate with you, and hear your message. You can also search for messages left by people whose phone numbers you know.

Air America Radio will leave Public Voicemail in service for as long as this crisis continues. You can call it whenever you are trying to locate someone, or if you are trying to be found.

1-866-217-6255

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund

http://www.bushclintonkatrinafund.org

Please make checks payable to the "Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund".

Please mail checks or money orders to:

Office of President Clinton
Re: Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund
55 W125th Street
New York, NY 10027

or:

Office of President George H. W. Bush
Re: Bush-Clinton Katrina Fund
10000 Memorial Drive, Suite 900
Houston, TX 77024

AUTISM site
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Catholic Relief Services is an excellent organization.

http://www.catholicrelief.org/

Wine Host, Italian Food, Library Sciences Host
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
iGive.com:

http://www.igive.com/katrina/

Help us send $15,000 to aid in Katrina disaster relief.
We want to take our September marketing budget and instead of spending it on advertising to get new members, we'll donate it.

To do that, we need to reach our September goal of 5,000 new
members early in the month.

We'll turn our $10,000 into $15,000 by sending it to the Chicago
Tribune's McCormick Tribune Foundation, which is matching donations
fifty cents on the dollar. They're sending all of the money raised
to disaster relief agencies they trust.

It's up to you to make that possible. We need your help to get 5,000 new members by September 9. New members will get our e-mailed newsletter (but only if they want) and they get a chance to shop at one of the 600+ great brand name stores at iGive. Each purchase means an additional donation for a worthy cause. That cause can be Katrina relief, or that cause can be ASCEND Group, Inc..

But no purchase is necessary, just the free registration to become an iGive member.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
talk Autism - How the Autism Community Shares Knowledge, Information and Assistance:

http://www.talkautism.com/

If you can host a family:

http://66.148.5.47/CrystalPages/default2.html

AUTISM site
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
This seems like the most comprehensive site so far -

Federal Government main site for links for
People with Disabilities and those who
want to help them

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Coming up after a commercial break is a segment on Fox News Channel. I saw an hour or so ago where this 71 year old lady called into Fox and was at her home during this whole week and they said someone would come and get her.

She has an elderly dog, well they just showed that Geraldo is with her and it is a wonderful story and making me cry. They jokingly said this lady looked better than Geraldo and she has been in her home the whole time, her house did not get flooded and she had food and some water.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Texas Education Agency has opened a hotline to answer education questions arising from Hurricane Katrina.

The toll-free number (800-957-5109) will be staffed throughout the holiday weekend. Staff members from the Texas Education Agency will be answering calls from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.

Additionally, a special TEA Web site has been set up to collect hurricane-related information in one location. The site is available as a link off the main agency Web site,

http://www.tea.state.tx.us

Among the items on the site are frequently asked questions and documents that will be helpful to both parents and educators.

As of mid-morning Friday, incomplete results from around the state indicated that at least 6,100 students displaced by Hurricane Katrina had enrolled in Texas public schools. That number is expected to grow this week.

Agency staff do not know how many students from Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi may ultimately enroll in Texas schools.

Anyone who wants to donate school supplies to the evacuees may email information to

schoolsupplies@tea.state.tx.us

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
I saw links mentioned on Fox News

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
NATIONAL HOTLINE TO LOCATE MISSING HURRICANE VICTIMS ESTABLISHED

Katrina Missing Persons Hotline, 1-888-544-5475, Will Go Live at 12:00 Noon (Eastern) on Monday, September 5

ALEXANDRIA, VA - September 4, 2005 - The U.S. Department of Justice has asked the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) to set up a coordinated missing persons process to locate and reunite Hurricane Katrina victims in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama. NCMEC staff is working through the weekend and will have the Katrina Missing Persons Hotline

1-888-544-5475

operational at 12:00 Noon Eastern time on Monday, September 5, 2005. Photographs, names, and physical descriptions of missing adults, missing children, and found children from hurricane-stricken areas will be posted to NCMEC's web site at

website

Last edited by BellaAutismHost; 09/05/05 07:13 PM.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
For those in the Los Angeles area The Dream Center is getting 300 victims by this Thursday. They had arrivals last nite and the nite before.

The Dream Center got a call from a pastor in the disaster area and then got some corporations to donate private planes to pick up the people and bring them to Burbank airport. The Dream Center has buses and they brought them to Los Angeles - actually Echo Park area of LA where I live.

They have a website - http://www.dreamcenter.org

That lists what they need in donations and then money. I called last nite to see if they would need the six cases of Huggies Goodnites we have. Someone called back today and we went down there to donate them.

Very organized, signs all over showing where to go and the parking lot had dozens of cars being emptied. The car next to us had two bags of stuffed animals.

News crews were there interviewing and volunteers had pizza and were all in good spirits wanting to help.

Then we parked on the street and walked to a volunteer section to give my business card and state what I could do. I said I could take people to SSI and the various social services offices since I have experience with all these agencies, someone could come over for the afternoon and hang out, etc. If they wanted to go to the mall to walk around, etc.

I will be gathering more stuff this week to take over there. It was very organized. Compared to what I saw on the news yesterday in Santa Monica donations all over the place being stacked on a street to be loaded into trucks and leaving today at 3 pm to go to the area.

From what I saw on the LA news this morning the Dream Center is now a Red Cross shelter and they can stay for six months.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
new resource -

http://www.safekatrina.com

They need people with Camera Phones to go to shelters, take pictures, use the codes on the home page to designate the shelter and the persons name - then email them to

safe.123@tamw.com

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
The Coast Guard and the American Red Cross are enabling people to post on the Internet information about loved ones missing or stranded because of Hurricane Katrina.

The US Coast Guard 1-800-323-7233 is accepting requests on its Web page:
http://homeport.uscg.mil

The Family Links Registry of the Red Cross are at
http://www.familylinks.icrc.org/katrina

The Red Cross also has established a hotline,

1-877-LOVED-1S (1-877-568-3317)

that can be used to search or add information to the registry.

Last edited by BellaAutismHost; 09/05/05 07:10 PM.

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Yahoo! Group for Katrina Volunteers

An e-list for Katrina volunteers to communicate with each other to coordinate efforts, disseminate information, provide support for each other, as well as to pass on valuable information and ideas.

While we are here to help all Katrina survivors, our focus is on those with disabilities and special needs.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/katrinavolunteers/

email owner/moderators:

katrinavolunteers-owner@yahoogroups.com

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Katrina Information Channel

DirecTV has designated channel 100 as the Hurricane Katrina Information Channel.

The channel has information 24/7 about shelters, counseling, and insurance claims (plus LOTS more info) nationwide.

It has also set up a message system for volunteers and survivors trying to locate and reunite with family members.

Text Message: 48433

Post a message: katrina@directv.com

Message Board: http://www.directv.com/hurricane

AUTISM site
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
An update on the Cruise Ship Housing for Evacuees:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050907/ap_on_re_us/katrina_texas_evacuees

Cruise Ship Housing for Evacuees on Hold
By PAM EASTON, Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON - A plan to move thousands of Hurricane Katrina evacuees from the Astrodome to cruise ships was put on hold Tuesday after many of them objected, some because they were terrified by the thought of living on the water.

"I can't live over water. I can't swim," said Donna Smith, 24. "I wouldn't want to see no more water. I saw enough already."

Others said they wanted to stay at the Astrodome so that they could concentrate on finding lost loved ones, according to the Coast Guard. And some simply wanted a little stability after so much turmoil.

Carnival Cruise Lines had provided three ships to the federal government � the Ecstasy, Sensation and Holiday � for six months to be used as shelters for up to 7,000 hurricane refugees.

Coast Guard Lt. Joseph Leonard, directing the emergency response in Houston, said workers would try to persuade some of the evacuees to try out the ship.

"The bed on a cruise ship is a little bit better than a cot out here," he said. "It is not a perfect solution. It is a better solution than we have right now."

Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesman Ed Conley said the evacuees need time to think through their options.

Meanwhile, an airlift to take some Katrina refugees from overburdened Texas to other states was at a standstill Tuesday.

FEMA spokeswoman Mary Margaret Walker said that two American Airlines flights to carry refugees from Corpus Christi to Nashville, Tenn., were canceled late Tuesday because the people in the shelters didn't want to pack up and go someplace else.

AUTISM site
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.