Print Thread
#175601 11/15/04 12:14 AM
S
SRS Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
S
The U.S. Department of Justice has released a report on the death penalty in the U.S.

USA Today | NY Times | Yahoo News | Washington Post

Click on the above links and they will take you directly to the appropriate article on each website.

Please post your thoughts on the death penalty.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
#175602 11/15/04 12:48 AM
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Sarah, I just saw on the news that California leads the U.S. in number of people on death row.

My feelings on the death penalty is that certain crimes merit it. I personally do not like the idea of killing another human being, but I was raised to believe that you had to pay for your sins or crimes and also, "an eye for an eye". My husband has spent his entire adult life in law enforcement.

I have seen and heard a multitude of heinous crimes that deserve the death penalty. I could give horrible examples but I won't because I'm afraid that some people would be sickened or terrified by the details.

For people who commit those crimes, I think it is unjust that we, the people, have to support the criminal for the rest of his (or her) life. And for what purpose? They will never be free and there is no chance for a future outside prison. The cost per inmate, for food, clothing, medical, educational expensives is attrociously high.

I think the money can be better spent on preventative programs for youngsters who begin a life of crime as juveniles. Our prisons would not be overcrowded. We would not be wasting resources on hopeless, incorrigible criminals who commit those heinous crimes.

For anyone who thinks some crimes are not heinous to warrant the death penalty, they obviously have never been part of a family who was been torn apart by a horrible crime. I would much rather see programs that would help prevent people from going so far as rape, torture, murder.

We should try to rehabilitate character and personality defects, drug addicts, saddists, thieves and others when they first become part of the legal system rather than wait for them to become a statistic.

Trish

Moderated by  Vance - Crime Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.