Originally Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH
Burt,
I have researched this term further.
I believe you already know this...but for me and for those following the thread.....

Spiritual Emergency is a crises when an individual may question their sense of identity, their values and may embrace mystical and spiritual experiences at this time. This usually results in fear and confusion. They may feel tremendous anxiety, have difficulty coping with their daily lives, jobs, and relationships, and may even fear for their own sanity.

This type of emergency seems to be treated and researched by a branch of psychology called Transpersonal Psychology. This branch of psychology integrates psychological concepts, theories, and methods with subject matter and practices of the spiritual disciplines.

I found a book that others (I know I am) may be interested in reading to get more detailed information. It is called Spiritual Emergency: When Personal Transformation Becomes a Crisis (New Consciousness Readers) Stanislav Grof, Christina Grof

Thank You Doctor.

This happened to me in 1983.

The unraveling and deconstruction your ego and identity is a very shattering and problematic experience.

Everything that you thought you were is shattered in a million pieces and lying on the floor.

Last edited by Burt B.; 02/24/13 08:32 AM.