I'm heavily involved with the 'Honor Society of Boy Scouting', called Order of the Arrow (in short: OA). The Order's purpose is to mainly promote outdooring experiences (camping) and to cheerfully provide service to others. All this is tied into Native American culture & traditions that fosters a mystique of the ceremonies.

With that said: I do get out on weekend overnights at least monthly. At least once a quarter I spend a weekend as the local Camp Master, where duties involve checking-in & supporting units that use the local summer resident camp for an off-season weekend. Do spend nights under nylon when staffing camporees or induction weekends for the OA. Then there are those weekends of camp service in preparing for the summer activities or closing up shop in the fall. So camping & service go hand-in-hand on those weekends.

Have been selected to coordinate the DC-metro contingent to an experience in NC called Indian Summer. The last one was held 8 years ago and the popularity makes this one seem to not come fast enough. A week-long exposure to customs, ceremonies, traditions, & Pow Wows every day. <I can hear Phyllis asking how she can sign up>. This is the first week of August.

Three weeks prior, I've been accepted/invited to staff a concerted effort with the OA & US National Park near New River WV. Here OA Scouts will come together to construct and rehabilitate trails between the new BSA high adventure/Jamboree site and the New River Gorge National River. This will permit access between the reservation and the activities the gorge provides.

My storage area in a partially finished basement is loaded with outdoor equipment. It's kinda like walking into the department store to 'shop' for the weekend. <Is it backpacking? Is it plop-n-drop car camping {easily accessed by a parkng lot}? Is it OA related & I need to pack out my regalia & ceremony equipment that's in the garage? Converservation or service weekend needs gloves, eye protection, chainsaw, etc etc.

I'd rather be in the outdoors with the youth than cooped up in some church basement giving adult leader training on a Saturday.

I could go on & on, but I think all will yet be revealed...

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."