Quote:
Many people taking Astronomy classes expect it to be about star gazing. There is a lot of physics and math involved in Astronomy. Star gazing is fun. The winter skies offer fewer celestial bodies to observe, but the skies are clearer. I am the librarian in our local astronomy club. See if there is a planetarium in your city, contact your local college or university to see if they teach classes and if there are any clubs affiliated. Astronomy is awesome, good clean fun. There are some great web sites, and anyone on AOL can sign up for celestial alerts. Light pollution does wash out the night sky! So, go outside, shield the top of your lights, look up and enjoy the awesome wonders of the universe.

You're correct firefly, there is a lot of math involved with astronomy and I have to brush up on the math I know and apply it to astronomy. My wife and friends are amazed at the large numbers that are envolved with 1 Light Year and then I tell them that some stars are located at more than 1,000 light years away. Gasps of amazement are heard from everyone. If you go any further into the different types measurement it becomes a lost cause with these people.

Robert F. Stachurski