Hello Everyone,

I am part of a living history group and I am researching authentic Raqs Sharqi (bellydance) attire for the period of approximately 900-1200 CE in middle eastern countries (arabia, turkey, etc).

Thus far I am disappointed with the many many websites I have examined as people seem to trend towards modern "showgirl" costumes or modern tribal costumes that are merely influenced by athentic styles and do not truly represent actual historical costume.

Thus far I have come to the conclusion that an authentic costume would consist of "harem" pants, a split skirt and a tassle belt. A long sleeved shirt in the style of harem pants, a tight vest over top (both showing the belly) and a long "jacket" with the bottom split to the waist and done up the middle to cover the belly.

My sources are a number of photos taking parts from various existing costumes and research into each piece. For example, I can not wear a choli as it is said to be underwear worn under clothing such as a sari and is hence inappropriate for an authentic medieval costume.

I am still researching my sources - especially with things such as tassle belt designs so diverse - in order to ensure as close to authentic as possible. To show how authentic I want to go - I will be constructing my costumes out of linen and making all my own tassles and embroidery with pure wool and glass beads. Only materials that would have been available in the period specified.

If anyone has some sources they could direct me to in order to further my research, I would greatly appreciate a reply to this thread!