Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
mandyjones, Nicola x, Pure Bliss Handbags, LegacyPoetry, Emily Roxin
57152 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57152 Members
417 Forums
112894 Topics
799133 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 752
Beetlemess 516
Nancy Roussy 232
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 118
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 104
Mystic - Romance Movies 100
Dianne W - Editor 66
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 64
Tracy - Philosophy 59
Karm - SW USA Editor 56
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#288840 - 01/22/07 05:51 PM Jewelry making and beading magazines
Crisfra Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Davis, California
This week begins an ongoing series of magazine reviews on the Jewelry Making site.

The first takes a look at Lapidary Journal:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Add Jewelry making and beading magazines to Twitter Add Jewelry making and beading magazines to Facebook Add Jewelry making and beading magazines to MySpace Add Jewelry making and beading magazines to Del.icio.us Digg Jewelry making and beading magazines Add Jewelry making and beading magazines to Yahoo My Web Add Jewelry making and beading magazines to Google Bookmarks Add Jewelry making and beading magazines to Stumbleupon Add Jewelry making and beading magazines to Reddit
#288877 - 01/22/07 08:57 PM Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines [Re: Crisfra]
joanj Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas
Bead and Button has been my favorite for many years. I went to their first Bead and Button convention in Austin, TX years ago.

They have really built up their magazine over the years. The articles are great and they also have a great website.

Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Twitter Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Facebook Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to MySpace Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Stumbleupon Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Reddit
#288911 - 01/23/07 12:20 AM Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines [Re: joanj]
ninadesigns Offline

I subscribe to Lapidary Journal, and I too find myself skipping over articles in gem cutting and lamp work. When they do have an article on fabrication, which is where my interests lie, I enjoy it. I also subscribe to Art Jewelry, which comes less often, but has more on what I'm interested in. They also cover polymer clay, wire wrapping, and PMC which I may decide to play with in the future. I sometimes pick up Metalsmith Magazine, but their concentration seems to be more on Art pieces (with a capital A) and silverware. There are also a whole slew of beading magazines, that I sometimes pick up for fun, like Bead and Button. I often find myself looking for more in a magazine. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know!

-Nina Gibson
www.ninadesigns.etsy.com

Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Twitter Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Facebook Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to MySpace Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Stumbleupon Add Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines to Reddit
#289064 - 01/23/07 07:33 PM Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines [Re: ninadesigns]
Crisfra Offline
Parakeet

Loc: Davis, California
I also like Bead & Button, and I subscribe to it too - even though I'm mainly doing fabrication these days myself.

I also get Art Jewelry, even though I don't work much with polymer clay or metal clay, and it does seem to have a lot of that. Of course, I'm still interested in those things so I can write about them here - so that's helpful!

I'll be writing reviews of both of those and some others that are out there.

I suspect it's a challenge for publishers to keep specialty magazines going while trying to keep all the readers happy. It's got to be expensive to print and mail all those issues, plus pay a lot of staff to get things done properly. I think that's probably why they tend to target broader audiences; so that they can achieve a larger subscription base. The downside is that no one is interested in every topic in a given issue.

Anyway, I'll be working on those other reviews over the next few months.

Thanks for posting, you guys!

Chris

#289115 - 01/24/07 12:29 AM Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines [Re: Crisfra]
oxalis Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Art Jewelry Magazine is my favorite because they often showcase PMC but Lapidary Journal is a close second. Just ordered a trial subscr. of Ornament. It looks to be very artsy and less technical. I happen to have a background in art rather than jewelry making so I struggle sometimes in transferring my designs to jewelry. Living 3 hrs. from a large city, classes are not readily available so I really appreciate the information offered in these magazines. I also subscribe to Accessories to keep an eye on the marketing end.

Patsy Oxley
www.oxalisjewelart.com

#289200 - 01/24/07 02:13 PM Re: Jewelry making and beading magazines [Re: oxalis]
joanj Offline
Koala

Loc: Texas
I love Lapidary Journal's yearly bead issue. It's terrific!

Ornament has some great inspirational photos and articles. I used to take it.

When I lived in San Diego I took classes at a place called The Shephardess and the owner was in Ornament a couple of times for her work with beaded pine needle baskets.

Does anyone here like Joyce Scott and her freeform peyote? She inspired me to do lots of free form stuff. I don't care for patterns that much-too strenuous. I do bead work for relaxation so like to just go with it.

Moderator:  Susan - Jewelry Making 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Home Finance Quizzes
by Sandra Investing/HFinance
Home Finance
0 seconds ago
What Did You Write Today?
by RoseEnglish
Fiction Writing
23 minutes 37 seconds ago
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
28 minutes 23 seconds ago
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
29 minutes 43 seconds ago
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
31 minutes 27 seconds ago
What did you dream about last night?
by Nancy Roussy
Dreams
35 minutes 8 seconds ago
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 01:11 PM
How Do You Explain Life
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
Today at 12:10 PM
100 days of gratitude
by Lynne - ChristianLiving
Christian Living
Today at 12:00 PM
Green Smoothie Recipes
by Teresa - Holistic Health
Holistic Health
Today at 11:48 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 96 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.