logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Crisfra Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
This week begins an ongoing series of magazine reviews on the Jewelry Making site.

The first takes a look at Lapidary Journal:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Chris Franchetti Michaels, BeadJewelry.net
Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
Bead and Button has been my favorite for many years. I went to their first Bead and Button convention in Austin, TX years ago.

They have really built up their magazine over the years. The articles are great and they also have a great website.

N
N
I subscribe to Lapidary Journal, and I too find myself skipping over articles in gem cutting and lamp work. When they do have an article on fabrication, which is where my interests lie, I enjoy it. I also subscribe to Art Jewelry, which comes less often, but has more on what I'm interested in. They also cover polymer clay, wire wrapping, and PMC which I may decide to play with in the future. I sometimes pick up Metalsmith Magazine, but their concentration seems to be more on Art pieces (with a capital A) and silverware. There are also a whole slew of beading magazines, that I sometimes pick up for fun, like Bead and Button. I often find myself looking for more in a magazine. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know!

-Nina Gibson
www.ninadesigns.etsy.com

Crisfra Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I also like Bead & Button, and I subscribe to it too - even though I'm mainly doing fabrication these days myself.

I also get Art Jewelry, even though I don't work much with polymer clay or metal clay, and it does seem to have a lot of that. Of course, I'm still interested in those things so I can write about them here - so that's helpful!

I'll be writing reviews of both of those and some others that are out there.

I suspect it's a challenge for publishers to keep specialty magazines going while trying to keep all the readers happy. It's got to be expensive to print and mail all those issues, plus pay a lot of staff to get things done properly. I think that's probably why they tend to target broader audiences; so that they can achieve a larger subscription base. The downside is that no one is interested in every topic in a given issue.

Anyway, I'll be working on those other reviews over the next few months.

Thanks for posting, you guys!

Chris

Chris Franchetti Michaels, BeadJewelry.net
O
O
Art Jewelry Magazine is my favorite because they often showcase PMC but Lapidary Journal is a close second. Just ordered a trial subscr. of Ornament. It looks to be very artsy and less technical. I happen to have a background in art rather than jewelry making so I struggle sometimes in transferring my designs to jewelry. Living 3 hrs. from a large city, classes are not readily available so I really appreciate the information offered in these magazines. I also subscribe to Accessories to keep an eye on the marketing end.

Patsy Oxley
www.oxalisjewelart.com

J
Koala
Koala
J
I love Lapidary Journal's yearly bead issue. It's terrific!

Ornament has some great inspirational photos and articles. I used to take it.

When I lived in San Diego I took classes at a place called The Shephardess and the owner was in Ornament a couple of times for her work with beaded pine needle baskets.

Does anyone here like Joyce Scott and her freeform peyote? She inspired me to do lots of free form stuff. I don't care for patterns that much-too strenuous. I do bead work for relaxation so like to just go with it.

Moderated by  Susan - Jewelry Making 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.