BellaOnline
Posted By: Jilly Living in Cars Book Review - 04/10/11 10:54 PM

Curious about the extraordinary savings you can set aside if you live in your car and forsake paying rent, utilities and mortgages completely? This ebook has every detail covered. It's an amazing look at extreme frugality.

Living in Cars Book Review

Have you ever had to live in your car? Would you do it?
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/11/11 05:20 PM
Hey Jilly, the sad part of all this, is that there are folks in this recession that do not have a choice. Due to losing their homes, they have to live in their cars. Thank goodness they have one to live in and hopefully stay safer versus living on the streets.

Originally Posted By: Jilly

Curious about the extraordinary savings you can set aside if you live in your car and forsake paying rent, utilities and mortgages completely? This ebook has every detail covered. It's an amazing look at extreme frugality.

Living in Cars Book Review

Have you ever had to live in your car? Would you do it?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/11/11 07:49 PM
I do admit to a certain non sympathy for people forced to live in their cars, since I have done it quite often and even enjoy it. Like you, I think it's far safer and warmer and more dignified than living in the streets. A car can totally be a home, and I think living in a shelter seems a little more desperate.

What is hard is the attitude cops have towards people living in their cars. The economy has become so difficult to survive that I don't see why car living is not more accepted. It's a shame people have go be hassled if they are staying quiet and not making a mess.

Some communities actually have car lots set aside now for car dwellers. Some are even women-only for safety reasons. I think that is a kinder answer than just making people have to hide and move along and be treated like a criminal. smile
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/15/11 08:35 PM
Wow Jilly, I didnot know all this. So what about restrooms? That would be my only concern as a lot of places now post signs that say "No Public Restrooms"... Now the fast foods have to let you in (lol) - but one cannot always guarantee you will be homeless near one!

I do admit to a certain non sympathy for people forced to live in their cars, since I have done it quite often and even enjoy it. Like you, I think it's far safer and warmer and more dignified than living in the streets. A car can totally be a home, and I think living in a shelter seems a little more desperate.

What is hard is the attitude cops have towards people living in their cars. The economy has become so difficult to survive that I don't see why car living is not more accepted. It's a shame people have go be hassled if they are staying quiet and not making a mess.

Some communities actually have car lots set aside now for car dwellers. Some are even women-only for safety reasons. I think that is a kinder answer than just making people have to hide and move along and be treated like a criminal. smile
Posted By: Tina - Living Simply Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/15/11 09:27 PM
There is a movie called "It was a wonderful life" with Jodie Foster, it is about homeless women who live in their cars. I found it very informative.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/17/11 05:39 AM
Tina, I will have to see that movie - thank you for the tip.

I did see a movie about a girl who lived in a WalMart for a few months. I do think that is a cool idea in theory. smile

Angela, one can actually use what is known as a 'pickle jar' - a word for any wide mouthed sealable containers - in a car living situation. I've had to use that technique while camping quite often. Sometimes you just don't want to get out of the tent, for whatever reason. smile

If you travel with baby wipes, you can be as clean and sanitary as you like.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/20/11 05:03 PM
LOL Jilly, I can just see me missing the opening of the jar. YES, I swear by those wipes and keep them on hand. I know WalMart use to allow overnight camping, not sure if all of them do. I guess they are concerned about folks making it permanent smile

Tina, I will have to see that movie - thank you for the tip.

I did see a movie about a girl who lived in a WalMart for a few months. I do think that is a cool idea in theory. smile

Angela, one can actually use what is known as a 'pickle jar' - a word for any wide mouthed sealable containers - in a car living situation. I've had to use that technique while camping quite often. Sometimes you just don't want to get out of the tent, for whatever reason. smile

If you travel with baby wipes, you can be as clean and sanitary as you like.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/23/11 02:09 AM
Angela...from personal experience, you only miss the jar's opening ONCE...I say no more. :P
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/23/11 02:10 AM
OH, and I have a lot to say on the subject of wal mart overnighting...will write that up soon!
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/25/11 04:29 PM
LOL Jill, looking forward to reading your info smile
Posted By: RV Editor Erin Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/30/11 10:33 PM
Plenty of Walmarts still allow overnighting. I've personally stayed in at least 50--if not more--different Walmart parking lots (in my RV, not in my car) and I love it! Looking forward to your Walmart write-up Jill. smile
Posted By: RV Editor Erin Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 04/30/11 10:35 PM
Nice book review, by the way! Makes me want to read it, it's got a nice price. Now, if I just had a Kindle... smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 05/01/11 01:37 AM
Thanks, Erin. Do you have a walmart write up? We should both do that and link to each other. smile

PS - You can download the kindle app for free on your desktop or laptop computer. i use my iphone as a kindle with the free app. No one ever has to actually buy a kindle to read ebooks. smile

Also, the dude is selling the book in paper form as well. I guess I should make a note of that in the article.
The movie about the girl living in the Wal-Mart - are you thinking of "Where The Heart Is"? It starred Natalie Portman and she gave birth in the Wal-Mart where she was camping out?
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 05/03/11 05:34 PM
How safe is it to stay overnight in a Walmart parking lot?

Not to be funny at all, but I used to work as a cashier for one in Orlando, Florida and the cameras in their parking lot was NEVER on (lol).
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 05/17/11 08:19 PM
Angela, Walmart is safe enough for overnighting if you are smart about it. There is a level of patrolling done usually by both security details and the police. Ones that are open 24 hours have in and out traffic with less potential for crime. You will want to park with your door (if in an RV)facing the store front, for more visibility. Lock your windows and doors (or just crack the windows). And if something feels "off" follow your instincts and get out. smile

Not all Wallies allow for overnighting - there are websites that track which ones are legal and which ones will give you trouble.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 05/17/11 08:21 PM
Jeanne, yes, that is the movie. I like how she used it as a home - sleeping bags, tents, clothes, workout machines, food. smile It's a neat idea to think about.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 06/05/11 08:14 PM
I guess I am skeptical because I worked as a cashier for them years ago and saw too much. I tell folks not to look for them to be safe. So many women have gotten raped right there in the parking lot, broad daylight and when the cops ask for the security tape - there was none. I worked for them 2 years and would always check out the parking lot before stepping out. Just be aware of the fact that alot of Walmarts do not have real security. Oh, you will find this funny. One night the security guard's personal car got broken into and they took his expensive stereo system. And guess where his very expensive car was parked? Yep, right in front of a security camera(lol) which was not being monitored. Anyway, thanks for the tips Jilly wink

Angela, Walmart is safe enough for overnighting if you are smart about it. There is a level of patrolling done usually by both security details and the police. Ones that are open 24 hours have in and out traffic with less potential for crime. You will want to park with your door (if in an RV)facing the store front, for more visibility. Lock your windows and doors (or just crack the windows). And if something feels "off" follow your instincts and get out. smile

Not all Wallies allow for overnighting - there are websites that track which ones are legal and which ones will give you trouble.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 06/05/11 10:30 PM
jeez Angela! it sounds like it's very unsafe at that Walmart. frown

I've used Walmart with ease in many places. I also use a lot of truck stops. I actually feel safer with all those trucks around me, even though it can be loud.
Posted By: Angela J. Shirley Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 06/06/11 01:02 AM
LOL, the truck stop sounds like an excellent option for me = I never worked at one smile

jeez Angela! it sounds like it's very unsafe at that Walmart. frown

I've used Walmart with ease in many places. I also use a lot of truck stops. I actually feel safer with all those trucks around me, even though it can be loud.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 05/12/12 04:03 AM
At one of my classes in the next town over, one person who attends lives in his van. He can park for free right on Main Street. The cops know him and look out for him. As long as he moves the van every few days no one bothers him. He's safe and cozy in his van and with that much space, it's basically a home. More like a small RV than actually being homeless. I've been talking to him and trying to let him know he actually has a good situation. He makes a big deal out of being 'homeless' but he's actually pretty well off, compared to a lot of people with exactly nothing.

I've lived in my covered pickups and small SUVs over the years, i've lived in a tent in a few national parks, and I've also lived in a few different RVs.

It's not much different than a small studio, really. You just have to be much more conscious about space.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Living in Cars Book Review - 06/09/12 09:22 AM
I am getting very excited for the summer when the monsoons start - i will be camping for july and august in the higher elevation pine forested mountains. It will be fun to live in my jeep and small trailer. This year I even have a small solar panel and deep cycle battery to go along with it!
© BellaOnline Forums