BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Men who Talk Slowly - 05/31/08 08:50 AM
I'm curious how we "perceive" men who talk slowly. We make fun of Kirk for his slow, deliberate pace.

Horatio on CSI: Miami has a slow pace, and I find it comforting, although sometimes a little much.

We just saw Man in the Iron Mask with John Malkovich as Athos. I really do NOT like John's voice or pacing. Bob is thinking it's because of the "tone" (woodenness to me) and not necessarily the pacing. It sounds almost metronomic to me.

When I think of Aragorn's voice in Lord of the Rings, I don't "think" of it as as slow. I think of it as steady. Thoughtful. Reasonable.
Posted By: Sarah - Biology Ed Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 06/25/08 03:28 PM
I think an accent makes a difference. In Sweet Home Alabama, Reese Witherspoons real husbands says, "I may talk slow, but I ain't stupid." And I believe him.

I think for the most part it is more to do with what comes out of their mouths, rather than how fast
Posted By: Bsherrin Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 10/26/10 04:59 PM
ha ha ha Sarah too good of an answer :P
Posted By: jerryhill Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 12/31/10 06:11 AM
Is this true... i didnt know.
Posted By: Ninjahedgewych Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 12/31/10 07:59 AM
According to my (female) friend from hypnotherapy training although I'm male I can listen at female speaking speeds which are supposedly faster than male ones. Also in the US as a visitor to my hearing Easterners speak faster than Westerners, Northerners faster than Southerners and you get graduations of that as you go 'round the compass.
Also according to NLP Visual speakers are the fastest, then hearing, and the slowest speakers are feeling based.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 02/14/11 01:40 AM
I talk fast and am frustrated with how slow DH talks. But as I am from NY and he is from the South, we come by these things honestly.
Posted By: Deborah - Biology Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 02/14/11 03:45 AM
I do agree that regionality has a lot to do with the speed at which a person talks here in the US. I lived for many years in the South and boy oh boy can a true Southerner draw out a word! smile
Posted By: Clenbut Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 03/05/11 04:55 AM
I have seen some females talking loudly, it is the matter of habit, by talking slowly some males think they are polite, who cares i have a loud and attractive voice.
Posted By: Deborah - Biology Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 03/05/11 07:11 AM
Well, I'm all in favor of anybody with an attractive voice! smile
Posted By: Linda19 Re: Men who Talk Slowly - 03/05/11 08:51 AM
My sister once asked me why I speak so slowly and pronounce every word correctly lol, it is because I have spent most of my life living with people who do not use English as their first language. You do not need to shout as some people do, just slow down your speech and pronounce every word correctly !
© BellaOnline Forums