Next Thread
Print Thread
#422627 05/31/08 04:50 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I'm curious how we "perceive" men who talk slowly. We make fun of Kirk for his slow, deliberate pace.

Horatio on CSI: Miami has a slow pace, and I find it comforting, although sometimes a little much.

We just saw Man in the Iron Mask with John Malkovich as Athos. I really do NOT like John's voice or pacing. Bob is thinking it's because of the "tone" (woodenness to me) and not necessarily the pacing. It sounds almost metronomic to me.

When I think of Aragorn's voice in Lord of the Rings, I don't "think" of it as as slow. I think of it as steady. Thoughtful. Reasonable.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
S
I think an accent makes a difference. In Sweet Home Alabama, Reese Witherspoons real husbands says, "I may talk slow, but I ain't stupid." And I believe him.

I think for the most part it is more to do with what comes out of their mouths, rather than how fast

Sarah Meadmore, Biology Editor
Biology Website
Biology Forum
B
B
ha ha ha Sarah too good of an answer :P

J
J
Is this true... i didnt know.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
According to my (female) friend from hypnotherapy training although I'm male I can listen at female speaking speeds which are supposedly faster than male ones. Also in the US as a visitor to my hearing Easterners speak faster than Westerners, Northerners faster than Southerners and you get graduations of that as you go 'round the compass.
Also according to NLP Visual speakers are the fastest, then hearing, and the slowest speakers are feeling based.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
I talk fast and am frustrated with how slow DH talks. But as I am from NY and he is from the South, we come by these things honestly.

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I do agree that regionality has a lot to do with the speed at which a person talks here in the US. I lived for many years in the South and boy oh boy can a true Southerner draw out a word! smile

C
C
I have seen some females talking loudly, it is the matter of habit, by talking slowly some males think they are polite, who cares i have a loud and attractive voice.

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Well, I'm all in favor of anybody with an attractive voice! smile

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My sister once asked me why I speak so slowly and pronounce every word correctly lol, it is because I have spent most of my life living with people who do not use English as their first language. You do not need to shout as some people do, just slow down your speech and pronounce every word correctly !

Linda Heywood

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.