BellaOnline
Posted By: M o e Lesbians are Fat - 04/30/07 09:01 PM
Ok, Jase (and everyone), I came across this one today. It actually made me laugh. This one is by the Daily Telegraph but doesn't have an author which makes me suspect.

Quote:
LESBIANS are twice as likely as heterosexual women to be overweight or obese, which puts them at greater risk for obesity-related health problems and death, US researchers said.

Read article.

What are your thoughts?

Posted By: M o e Re: Lesbians are Fat - 04/30/07 09:04 PM
I feel a poll coming on. smile Look at it from a medical stand point and not from a body image stand point. Meaning, if you're a size 8 you're probably not considered fat by medical standards. grin
Posted By: Preschool Education Re: Lesbians are Fat - 04/30/07 09:26 PM
Odd, all the lesbians I know are very skinny!
Posted By: Julie - Computer Careers Re: Lesbians are Fat - 04/30/07 10:00 PM
Well, it looks like they used self-reporting to determine both that women were lesbians and that they were overweight. What do you think the odds are that women who are willing to admit to falling into one less-than-optimally-socially-rewarded category will admit to falling into two? Versus not admitting to either?

Julie
Posted By: Lady J Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/01/07 01:37 AM
LOL Most of the lesbians I know aren't fat either ;0)

Thats like saying all lesbians are granola dykes, love nature, hate to shave or use body care products, and abhor men!
Posted By: Mindy - Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/01/07 03:30 AM
*blinks* erm - yup all of my les friends are perfectly porportional ...but that quote is laughable
Posted By: Chelle - Marriage Editor Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/01/07 12:56 PM
Whoa! Whoever says that obviously never watches "Workout" on Bravo or has seen Jackie Warner. I know men who would like to have a body as hard as hers. And it frequently shows the women she dates - and they aren't pudgy either.

- Jackie Warner

(I'd kill for those Abs - or maybe that would be die trying crazy )
Posted By: Alexandra Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/01/07 01:03 PM
No no no...all lesbians ARE fat, just as all frenchmen stink of onions and garlic, all italians survive on pasta, all australians are drunken lagerlouts, all englishmen are football hooligans and all chinese people eat with chopsticks. Of course.

(Hang on, I'm just re-checking the Australian one....)
Posted By: Jeanette - Editor Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/01/07 02:02 PM
The researchers must have been short on money that month...had to research something to get some grant money? Pick on the lesbians!!! Yea they won't mind us calling them fat! lol
Posted By: pondlady Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/01/07 03:29 PM
Hell, we get called everything else. Might as well throw 'fat' in the mix.
Posted By: Mindy - Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/02/07 03:08 PM
research can be defined as polling a group of homophobic old men and coaxing the correct information...never trust research unless you know how it was conducted by who and WHEN
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/04/07 03:11 PM
lol my being over weight has nothing to do with me being a lesbian, it has to do with my lack of self control i'll still be a lesbian if i ever get skinny
Posted By: Mindy - Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/05/07 03:17 PM
if anything I'd say being a lesbian helps to burn calories *wink wink*
Posted By: das Re: Lesbians are Fat - 05/07/07 12:47 PM
I do not agree with these findings.
Posted By: jaydee Re: Lesbians are Fat - 02/09/08 05:53 PM
Well, when I was sporting the hetro-lifestyle...I was a fatty! I mean fat, fat, fat. Somewhere in my early thirties, I realized that inside that fat, fat, woman was a much thinner, beautiful, energetic lesbian just dying to "come out"! I thank God everyday that I found that little lesbian inside because she is a much braver, more intelligent, more attractive, healthier woman.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lesbians are Fat - 02/20/08 12:55 AM
I actually wonder if that is part of what is going on here. Several other studies show that women who feel "excluded from social groups" are heavier than women who feel a part of a social group. In essence they tend to comfort themselves with food if they don't have a social network to support them.

So lesbians like you guys who are out and proud and happy tend to be a healthy weight because you have that self assurance. But lesbians who are NOT out and who do not have a social support group - maybe who have parents who disapprove of them and such - turn to food for comfort. And that ends up affecting their weight.

I actually find this study very believable given the people I know. The ones who are more secure generally are more healthy weighted.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Lesbians are Fat - 02/20/08 10:22 AM
I guess that goes both ways, heterosexuals whom are heavy may feel excluded from social groups, and also find comfort in food. its hard to say cuz 2 of my gay friends are thin, 2 of my straight friends are over weight.
just woke up so if i'm off on the wrong foot i'm sorry.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lesbians are Fat - 02/20/08 10:39 AM
Oh definitely I don't think anybody is saying "all gays are heavy" or "all straight people are thin" smile I think it's more that they're saying "people who feel they have social acceptance tend to be thinner - on average - than people who feel less socially accepted".

So I know many gay people who are quite loud and proud, and who are in great shape. So if anything, they help to reinforce the theory smile I also know many straight people who are comfort food fiends and who turn to food - not friends - when they have an issue.
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Lesbians are Fat - 02/20/08 10:47 AM
I hear u Lisa, thats so true
Posted By: Lady J Re: Lesbians are Fat - 02/20/08 06:48 PM
I have been there myself. When I was down and depressed, I tended to seek comfort in food. Now I seek comfort in food for the benefit of liking food. I eat now WITH friends not INSTEAD of friends. It is no longer my crutch. A lot of it had to do with being happy in my own skin and finally learning that others opinions of me didn't matter
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Lesbians are Fat - 02/20/08 06:56 PM
Jase you've come a long way, lots of luck n good things in your life will come. keep up your positive thinking.
Posted By: Lady J Re: Lesbians are Fat - 02/20/08 06:59 PM
I love the loud and proud comment. I have many a friend who out loud and proud.. even my bigger ones ;0)
Posted By: CharisseV-Freebies Re: Lesbians are Fat - 03/06/08 05:04 AM
Of course lesbians are fat..lol..
They don't feel the pressure of spending thousands upon thousands of dollars for implants, but lifts, tummy tucks, and liposuction, to try to keep the attention of middle aged men with wandering eyes.
(jk)
Anyway, I really believe that when people are comfortable in their relationships, they gain weight with their partner and don't feel threatened. Insecure people are always trying to fix their insides by surgically altering the outside.

When my husband and I got together, (my second marriage) we put on about 20 pounds. Twenty pounds of pure love that comes from living and enjoying life without fearing that if we don't "look" a certain way one of us is going to run off with someone else.

I mean, yes, it's good to be healthy, but I think when two people are truly in love, they feel more comfortable putting on weight around each other, and knowing that they are accepted for who they are, no matter what they look like at the moment.
Beauty is fleeting and weight, well, can be here today and gone tomorrow...it's what's on the inside that makes a relationship last...

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Lesbians are Fat - 03/15/08 09:57 PM
That's a fascinating way to look at it. I'm sure we could find examples to support any point of view in this debate since we're talking about general trends and individuals are always doing their own unique thing.

In my circle, for example, the couples who are really happy are the ones who are fit together. Not because they "need to prove the love" or anything but because they actually really like doing things together - going for walks, going biking, going skiing, etc. They like to have fun together. They are in shape not because of some strange magazine fetish but because they really enjoy life.

The couples I know who are overweight are the ones who tend not to do anything - who sit watching TV which isn't really an "interactive activity". They also tend to be less engaged as a couple compared with the ones who are out "having fun together".

To make an analogy to your comment, the women who are out having fun aren't putting on makeup or doing up their hair. So they aren't 'worried about looks" which is what you are saying. But they do have an interest in doing active fun things with their partner because they truly enjoy his company. So that's a different motivation.

So that's the experience I have.
Posted By: silva Re: Lesbians are Fat - 10/20/08 12:24 PM
well theres one thing for sure, im a lesbian and im no where near fat!
Posted By: "Rosie" Re: Lesbians are Fat - 10/20/08 12:50 PM
Hi silva, welcome to the forum, hope that you enjoy your stay!
Rosie
Posted By: saga61 Re: Lesbians are Fat - 11/17/08 05:41 PM
Huh. I'm thin, and I'm a lesbian. I have to admit, though, most of the lesbians I know are overweight. I never thought it was a gay thing, just more of a Wisconsin thing. One thing I think is true is that women don't hold other women to the same sort of standards that many (not all) men hold women to in the looks/weight department. I'm gonna think on this one some more.
Posted By: Barbara, GayLesbianEditor Re: Lesbians are Fat - 11/20/08 04:17 AM
Sigh. Hello, forum. I'm Barbara, I'm a lesbian, and I'm pretty sure that I'd be considered "fat." I'm 5'8" and about 225 pounds. I'm also completely hot, so there you are. smile
Posted By: Lady J Re: Lesbians are Fat - 11/20/08 04:35 AM
Its all about being comfortable in your skin
Posted By: smileykey Re: Lesbians are Fat - 12/22/08 12:49 PM
I know with my friends my straight girlfriends are always dieting or if they're not dieting they're always saying they should be and are, overall, very weight conscious. My lesbian friends aren't at all. Weight seems to be so much less of an issue for them. Maybe thats because I'm on a small Irish scene where everyone knows everyone else so appearance is less of an issue, I dono. But either way, most of my two groups of friends would be "somewhere in between" and neither skinny or fat. Maybe because we're less concerned with staying skinny, and therefore we're more happy to report being fat?

© BellaOnline Forums