BellaOnline
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Salad Time - 11/26/11 06:28 PM
Enjoying a delicious salad with lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cheese, carrots, cukes, ranch dressing. What are you having this fine afternoon?
Posted By: Joan541 Re: Salad Time - 11/26/11 06:40 PM
We're having salad too, with some chopped turkey on top! I'm sick of rich food right now, even though I tried not to overeat the past few days.
Posted By: Nancy6 Re: Salad Time - 11/29/11 10:22 PM
tuna salad - yum!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/01/11 09:48 PM
I adore tuna salad. Usually I just have tuna on its own, and I often forget to add fresh salady things to it. I'll have to remember to do that more often!

Right now my remaining greens in the fridge are slimy. Hmph. Time for some fresh ones!
Posted By: Roselinda Re: Salad Time - 12/09/11 10:35 AM
I like to take fruit salad mostly in my diet plan.Fruit salad is a dish consisting of various kinds of fruit, served in a liquid, either in their own juices or a syrup.When served as an appetizer or as a dessert. In different forms fruit salad can be served as an appetizer, a side-salad, or a dessert.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/13/11 07:00 PM
Roselinda -

It's a good idea to look at the syrup that's in the salad. In many cases that syrup is all high fructose corn syrup, which would be good to not ingest!
Posted By: joanj Re: Salad Time - 12/13/11 07:14 PM
I love salad with some olive oil and raw apple cider vinegar or olive oil and lemon juice and some Greek seasonings. Better than commercial salad dressing!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/13/11 08:49 PM
Apple cider vinegar is great for you for a number of reasons!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/15/11 10:55 PM
I'm enjoying a delicious salad with olives, cheddar cheese, pine nuts, and ranch dressing. What are you having tonight for dinner?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/08/12 01:46 AM
Enjoying a fresh salad with homemade ginger dressing on it. I adore ginger dressing smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/08/12 11:51 PM
I'm just so fond of this ginger dressing for salads. Why didn't I figure out this recipe sooner? What are you enjoying tonight?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/13/12 03:58 AM
Today I tried the Japanese Cucumber Salad from the Biggest Loser Flavors of the World cookbook. I had made it yesterday and it marinated overnight.

It was so vinegary I couldn't eat it without modification. I had to add in soy sauce, ginger, and white pepper before it began to taste OK.

Not a good sign about this cookbook ...
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/18/12 02:07 AM
I'm finishing off the Biggest Loser cucumber recipe I made back on the 11th, and reminded again of how strange these cookbooks are. This thing is SWIMMING in agave nectar, i.e. sugar. Blech.

What are you eating tonight?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/21/12 06:39 AM
I'm enjoying a simple tomato, basil, mozzarella and balsamic vinegar salad. What tasty things have you had lately?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/23/12 06:41 AM
Enjoying a salad of tomato basil and mozzarella. Tasty! What are you guys having today? Anything good?
Posted By: Astera Re: Salad Time - 02/24/12 01:28 AM
* A lamb leg chop (baked in a flavorwave turbo oven)
* Orange mash (potato. pumpkin, sweet potato & a little bit of skim milk and butter)
* Steamed vegetables (peas and sliced carrot)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/25/12 04:41 AM
That sounds delicious, Astera! Steamed veggies are definitely good for you smile

Can you guess what I'm having? Could it be a tomato basil and mozzarella salad? I think I'm addicted to them smile
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 02/29/12 02:20 PM
What's a quick recipe for ginger dressing? I also adore fresh ginger. It's one of the things that I love about Indian cooking...ginger and garlic---mmmmm!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/01/12 06:11 PM
Dear Connie in fact I'm having that dressing right now on top of spinach. I love the dressing, and the spinach is full of nutrients.

It takes about 10 minutes to make, and you make it in bulk so then it's ready in the fridge for you.

Ginger Salad Dressing Recipe
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/02/12 03:47 PM
I've finished off all of my ginger dressing, on one last salad. This stuff is tasty! are you guys having anything delightful today?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 03/05/12 10:02 PM
I have some lettuce. I need to remember to have some with my eggs and veggies tonite.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/05/12 11:09 PM
Lettuce is good! That sounds like a great salad.

I just had bag-lettuce (with carrot slivers and such) with some cucumbers in soy sauce. It was a quite nice afternoon salad.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/06/12 08:23 PM
Today's salad is a lovely tomato basil and mozzarella salad with balsamic vinegar. What are you guys enjoying?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/11/12 04:36 AM
Had a delicious cobb salad at a restaurant tonight. You can definitely eat healthy when eating out. What have you had recently?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 03/20/12 10:16 PM
I don't plan to eat healthy at the chinese buffet tonite, but i suppose I can make sure i at least get some salad in. This is a good reminder.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/21/12 05:33 PM
Yup start every meal with a salad! That's a tasty way to prepare your stomach, and give it something healthy to fill part of it with.

I ate out for lunch yesterday and began with a lovely salad. I then had salmon with broccoli and only ate half of that, so I took the other half home. So the salad helped me to be comfortably full, and meant I had a delicious snack for later.

I try to have a salad before lunch and dinner. Especially with salad-in-a-bag, it is incredibly easy to do.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 03/22/12 02:35 AM
Collard Salad

Collards, tri-color bell peppers, brazilian nuts, lemon juice, and raw honey.

Yum, yum, and more yum!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/23/12 04:14 AM
That sounds delicious Yvonnie! I'll have to try that sometime.

Today's lunch was a nice tomato mozzarella and basil salad with balsamic vinegar. I'm getting quite fond of them.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 03/25/12 11:47 PM
I am putting together some greens from the garden along with food pantry produce for a salad tonite:

garden lettuce
wild mustard greens
tomatoes
garlic
cabbage
garden thyme
wild pecans
raisins
garden viola heads

with some balsamic and olive oil. smile

I am not hungry yet but i figure if i start making it now i will eat it tonite.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/28/12 07:03 PM
That sounds delicious, Jilly - well done!

Yesterday I got a foot long Subway while out doing some mall walking / pedometer testing so I ate half for lunch after the tests and then half for dinner. So really that was all I ate all day besides my morning shake.

Hopefully I can have a salad today, I'm not sure what shape our salad mix is in.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/03/12 10:05 PM
Enjoying some egg salad with dill, garlic powder, paprika, and olives. What are you guys having this fine afternoon? Anything tasty?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 04/03/12 10:28 PM
I am having some Three Sisters Corn Bean Salad. It is lovely to look at--a study in contrasting colors.

Black beans
Sweet corn
Cilantro
Tomatoes
Jalapeno peppers
Red onion
olive oil and lime juice with sea salt and pepper for a dressing

Tasty and beautiful!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/04/12 01:12 AM
That sounds delicious Connie! Cilantro is SO good for you, I need to get more in my diet.

I was growing a pot of it in my window but suddenly it all died for some reason. I need to plant more.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 04/06/12 09:15 PM
I bought some planted cilantro last night, actually. I had some of that in my chicken sammy, along with some herbs and fresh romaine I plucked out of the garden. YUM. With some mayo and garlic and nutritional yeast.

I really love the yeast. I put it on practically everything these days.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/11/12 09:41 PM
That's great, Jilly - everyone should have cilantro in their garden!

Enjoying a salad mix with radish, carrots, and pea pods in it, with a raspberry pomegranate dressing. What are you having today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/19/12 09:38 PM
Ran out of my veggie mix salad blend. Stealing Bob's romaine blend for my salad this afternoon. Shhhh. What are you enjoying?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/24/12 10:47 PM
Enjoying a nice veggie salad while overseeing the launch of my sixth medieval novel, Badge of Honor. What are you guys up to?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 04/24/12 10:56 PM
My greens are growing great in my garden, but all i have been eating lately is whole wheat bagel thins with butter and marmite. And cold beans or cold soup. I am feeling happy, though. Which is odd, considering what else is going on. I think it's the research projects that are keeping me buoyed up.

I need to remember to walk outside and pick some darn greens with my bagels!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/30/12 09:06 PM
It's great that you're finding things to focus on that you enjoy!

I'm enjoying a veggie salad mix with cheese and tomatoes. Plus drinking Mio-flavored water.

What are you guys enjoying this fine afternoon?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 04/30/12 10:42 PM
Still doing super poorly with greens. It's been over a week now. frown

I did have oatmeal, yogurt, fruit and spices today, though. That's got to count for something.
Posted By: Debbie-SpiritualityEditor Re: Salad Time - 05/01/12 02:36 AM
I didn't have a salad today, but I did have chicken salad on wheat bread with lettuce and tomato.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/01/12 04:25 AM
Dear Jilly -

Absolutely oatmeal and yogurt are both very good for you! Well done!

Greens will come in their own time. Cherish the progress you're making!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/01/12 04:26 AM
Dear Debbie -

Chicken salad sounds great, and the lettuce and tomatoes are delightful veggies too. I don't eat enough chicken salad; I should try to find a store around here that carries it in their deli area.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/01/12 05:23 AM
I had a free dinner at a new class tonite, and there was salad greens, carrots and tomatoes with balsmic vinaigrette. Also I had two little french bread type rolls with two little chicken legs. Unfortunately the legs were encrusted with breading. But i feel good abut getting in some meat and salad.

I'd like to stay home and have some of my produce tomorrow. We will see what happens.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/02/12 12:01 AM
Dear Jilly -

Right now it's great that you're eating fairly balanced meals with protein and greens in them - don't sweat the small stuff like breading!

I had my traditional veggie salad for lunch today. I'm now pondering dinner.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/02/12 12:32 AM
I'd like to open up a lettuce bag that I got from the food pantry and cook up some of the kielbasa that came in with it. I might also cook up some peppers they gave me.

I think the key will be actually cooking this before i get hungry.
Posted By: Deanna - New Age Re: Salad Time - 05/02/12 12:40 AM
Yum!! I'm having chicken salad for dinner tonight!

I'm going to make home-made ranch dressing - we got some ranch dressing at the store - but it had MSG in it? MSG in salad dressing? Oy!!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/02/12 12:59 AM
That sounds delish, Deanna.

BTW the rich dark colors in your hair look outstanding.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/02/12 03:42 AM
This thread inspired me to do better tonite. I actually sort of made something. I ate a big lettuce bowl with some heated up kielbasa. Mustard on top with some sesame dressing. Then olive loaf bread with brie.

I ate too much bread and brie, but the big bowl of lettuce was a good step.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/04/12 09:06 PM
That is awesome Jilly - one step at a time! Definitely a key is to start planning the meal before you become starving smile

I'm out of salad mix - annoying! That Bob better get out shopping smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/04/12 11:58 PM
Last night at class there was salad and pizza. So at least I got in some salad.

The other night I had two avocados with salsa, parmesan cheese and mayo on thin whole wheat bread, and some salad with balsamic dressing.

It's really hard for me to work on my nutrition right now. frown There is so much to do here.

baby steps, I know.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/05/12 01:58 AM
You are doing fantastically Jilly - those are some great meals! Think of some of the things you used to eat, and be amazed at the improvements!

I'm enjoying a very veggie salad for dinner with olives and tomatoes. Bob did get me salad mix after all smile

What are you all enjoying tonight? Something healthy I hope!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/05/12 02:27 AM
Thanks, Lisa. That is true; it's better than just top ramen, tortillas with butter, or just bread and cheese.

Today I had a half an avocado with half a large tomato, open faced on super thin whole grain bread, almost like a cracker. With mayo and turkey slices. a hunk of hard cheese on the side with some clear broth and seltzer water.

Nothing really bad, there. But no fruit, unless you count the avocado. I don't really know what category avos fall into. They aren't sweet, but are technically a fruit. Tomatoes are technically fruit too. Oh well.

It was my only meal of the day, as I got busy and forgot to eat. No decaff even, just some water. Bad me.

I might have some red wine later tonite but right now am happy with the lime seltzer. Wait! Lime is a fruit! wink
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 05/05/12 02:56 AM
Lime is a fruit Jilly (and tomatoes & avocado)!

I started making a kale salad for dinner; cleaned the kale, cut it, squeezed lemon juice on, sprinkled on a little seasoned pepper and some complete seasoning by Badia. It was so good, I ate it like that with a serving of carrots.

Feeling really good since I also enjoyed a greek salad (very little feta, added sundried tomatoes) w/balsamic vinaigrette for lunch.

For breakfast, fruit salad.

Mid-morning snack, 2 tablespoons of tuna salad w/cilantro, red onions, lime juice, a table spoon of mayo and 12 tortilla chips (no bread - no gluten).

Yay! A really good day and two 30 minute workouts. Really feeling good.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/05/12 03:09 AM
Yvonnie, that is amazing. Four different kinds of salad in one day!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/07/12 10:34 PM
Happy Monday! I'm enjoying a very veggie salad with olives, cheddar cheese, and Italian dressing. What are you guys having?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/07/12 10:57 PM
last night i had romaine from my garden with violas and a few wild greens. Also finished the keilbasa and had some more brie on thin whole wheat things.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/08/12 12:46 AM
That is great Jilly - well done!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/08/12 05:52 AM
This nite's dinner was free at class - salad and sweet poundcake. lol.

having a lime beer tonite. This thread is really helping me be accountable for getting some greens in me. And reds and purples and orange.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/17/12 10:16 PM
Free salad is a great thing!

I'm having my very veggie salad today with the Newman balsamic dressing. I am finding fewer and fewer snowpeas in my very veggie mixes. I think there were only two in the entire bag this time. Sheesh! They are heading towards false advertising with that smile
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/18/12 05:15 AM
I love my classes with the free dinners. It's so nice to always have yummy salad, and a hot entree and some fruit. That makes at least two salads a week while class is ongoing.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/21/12 11:11 PM
That is great news, Jilly! They care for all of you!

I'm enjoying a romaine salad with tomatoes, olives, cheese, and the lite Northern Italian dressing.

What are you guys having? Share your ideas!
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 05/21/12 11:18 PM
At Panera Bread enjoying a greek salad (minus the feta) and a serving of a french baguette. Yum!
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 05/21/12 11:23 PM
Jilly-

I want to be more accountable for my green intake. Maybe I should chime in more often. Just noticed that day where I had 4 salads in one day. It was a fluke. Yet, I really enjoyed it and noticed I had way more energy than the days that followed with more sugar and gluten.

Today, I made a green smoothie (with 2 huge handfuls of spinach) and tonight I enjoyed a salad.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/21/12 11:42 PM
Dear Yvonnie -

Salads are definitely tasty and good for you!

My "lunch" salad (i.e. the one I'm eating right now) is fairly large. I have a large bowl that's 8.5" across (I just measured it) that I fill with greens. I don't squish them down, but that's a fair amount. Then I add in tomatoes, olives, and I sprinkle cheese on top. So that is my entire meal and it definitely fills me up.

Part of it is I'm so incredibly busy right now. These college courses ate up a TON of time. So I don't feel like I have time to cook or anything. This way I just dump a bag of salad into a bowl, toss on a few items, and I am done. I can just eat while I work.
Posted By: Lori - Marriage Re: Salad Time - 05/21/12 11:48 PM
SaladWorks is a nice little salad eatery nearby. Just had a harvest salad with all sorts of little goodies in it for lunch! Sunflower seeds, dried cranberries, dried apple chips, roasted corn, micro greens, turkey cubes...so yummy.

Yvonnie, what else do you put into your green smoothie?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 05/22/12 12:09 AM
Hi Lori-

It varies, but my quick and easy go to is: 2 hands full of spinach and few leafs of kale, a frozen banana, soy or almond milk, a little raw honey, and a dash of vanilla.

It's really yummy and creamy.

When I have a little more time I prefer juicing my greens with green apples and grapefruits.

Everything else seems to take a little bit longer (especially because I feel the need to cleanup immediately after preparing).
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 05/23/12 03:30 PM
Hey Ladies!

I'm planning a saladpalooza today! Or something like that. I promise to be able to chime in tonight with news that I had a great salad at some point today.
Posted By: FrankJBN Re: Salad Time - 05/23/12 04:02 PM
I am not a fan of Saladworks. I think their salads are over-priced and under-"built".
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 05/23/12 10:26 PM
laugh I'm doing it! I'm enjoying Baby Romaine, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, a dash of garlic salt and fresh squeezed lime juice. The salad is the main course. I'm also having black bean dip and red hot blues on the side.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/27/12 01:23 AM
That sounds delicious Yvonnie!

I'm enjoying a lovely Romaine salad with tomatoes, cheddar, and balsamic vinegar dressing.

What are you all having this fine weekend?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/27/12 04:01 AM
dinner was a caprese salad with basil from the garden, tomatoes, avos and mozz cheese. Cracked pepper, garlic, olive oil and balsamic. Two small slices of high grain bread.

Yummm. I could eat this every day.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 05/27/12 07:07 AM
I had baby romaine w/radish tops, chrysanthemum greens, and cherry tomatoes, tossed in lemon, balsamic vinegar, & cracked pepper. Plus, a few slices of French baguette.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/29/12 11:25 PM
Both of your salads sound delicious!

Today I'm enjoying a very veggie salad with olives, cheese, and ranch (we're out of tomatoes).

What are you all having this fine evening?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 05/29/12 11:41 PM
Last night i had another caprese salad, this time with no avos or bread. I just had more components of the basic three ingredients.

Now i need to wait for my basil to grow back in, so i have to make do with something else for my next salad. Maybe wild greens, garden fennel/yarrow, tomatoes and yucca petals.

I need to gather the last yucca petals before they are over for the year.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 06/01/12 07:56 PM
Well, 5/29 was my birthday and there wasn't a salad in sight. Just kidding. Actually I enjoyed the same salad as previously mentioned (baby romaine, radish tops, chrysanthemum greens, tomatoes, and olives tossed in lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic salt & pepper.

Been doing a lot of stir fry since then.

Today, though, I ate a caesar salad (no chicken). Yum.

Posted By: Sadhana ~ Indian Food Re: Salad Time - 06/01/12 08:15 PM
I love salads -- great ideas!

Happy Belated Bday Yvonnie :-)
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 06/01/12 08:47 PM
I had a nice salad last night with my free dinner at class. I am so thankful they keep offering salads.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/01/12 11:04 PM
Happy birthday Yvonnie!

I'm enjoying a very veggie salad with cheddar, tomatoes, olives, and ranch dressing. What are you having this delightful Friday evening?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 06/02/12 04:43 AM
Thanks for the Birthday Wishes.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/03/12 01:43 AM
Enjoying a very veggie salad with cheddar, olives, tomatoes and ranch. Yes, my standard smile What are you having this fine evening?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 06/03/12 02:19 AM
Missed out on the salad today. I did get kale and spinach at the Farmer's Market today. Enjoyed leftover stirfry for dinner.

I'll be back on track tomorrow.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/08/12 12:17 AM
Spinach is so good for you!

I'm enjoying a very veggie salad with cheddar, olives, tomatoes, and Paul Newman sesame ginger dressing. Yummy!

What are you all having tonight?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/08/12 11:36 PM
Enjoy my "Lisa Traditional" Very veggie with cheddar tomatoes olives and Newman sesame ginger dressing. What are you enjoying tonight?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 06/09/12 02:15 AM
Greek salad, no cheese tonight.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/12/12 12:06 AM
I know, I'm predictable. Very veggie salad with tomatoes and olives. We're out of cheese smile

I'm having the sesame ginger dressing which I'll write up shortly.

What are you guys having tonight?
Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice Re: Salad Time - 06/12/12 02:27 AM
I made a salad with baby spinach, romaine, baby bella mushrooms and red onions. Going to have it for lunch tomorrow with roasted red peppers, feta cheese and a little bit of steak with Newman's light balsamic dressing.

It was going to be dinner but time got away while I was cooking!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/13/12 08:35 PM
I love baby spinach, Allison smile

Enjoying my very veggie salad with tomatoes olives and sesame dressing.

What are you guys having? Anything good?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/23/12 09:12 PM
Today's salad is a romaine blend with olives, tomatoes, cheese, and light Italian dressing. Anyone else enjoying a salad?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/25/12 11:05 PM
Having a Veggie Lovers salad (very veggie clone?) with olives cheese tomatoes and raspberry-pomegranate dressing. What are you having tonight?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 06/25/12 11:17 PM
Kale, seasoned in lemon juice, olive oil, and some dried herbs. I've been eating at it all day. Yum!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/28/12 10:24 PM
I had some tunafish for lunch as we're out of my veggie mixes. Now I'm feeling tired. Hmmm. Need to find some salad.

What are you guys eating today? Does it lift you up, or slow you down?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/02/12 09:49 PM
Enjoying a very veggie salad with cheese, tomatoes, and raspberry pomegranate dressing. Out of olives smile What are you guys having?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 07/02/12 09:58 PM
Seriously i need help with salading. I buy whole produce and never cut it up until it's gone bad. I buy bagged lettuce and never open the bag until it's rotten inside. I can't keep buying food just to feed to my compost.

The best situation was when i was attending classes and there were salads available. That way i got salad twice a week.

I don't know what my problem is with salading at home!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/02/12 11:37 PM
Dear Jilly -

It is very hard to deal with whole produce. I would have the same problem.

I would try buying just one salad mix that you like. All you do is open it, dump it, and eat it. One step. Try just one and see if it works.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 07/02/12 11:59 PM
Yes. I will read your salad mix reviews and look for mixes. I'm a grown woman; this should not be so hard!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/03/12 07:00 PM
Everything comes down to optimizing your time for your own life. So whatever works for you is what you should do.

Yes, I should be able to buy whole heads of lettuce, and radishes, and so on, and chop them all up. But I simply don't. So I go with what actually does work for me.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/04/12 11:11 PM
Enjoying my Very Veggie salad with cheese tomatoes and Raspberry Pomegranate dressing. Out of olives smile

What are you guys having?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 07/05/12 02:55 AM
Lisa, what you are saying makes much sense. I don't know why i am so lazy about cooking though.

I need a wife. wink
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/05/12 11:56 PM
You need a partner who enjoys cooking - which absolutely isn't necessarily a wife!

Enjoying my very veggie salad with tomatoes cheese but I'm still out of olives! I'm in withdrawal! What are you having tonight?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/07/12 09:35 PM
Yup - having my lowcarb very veggie salad with tomatoes olives and cheese. I still love it for lunch smile What are you guys having?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 07/08/12 12:35 AM
Maybe I will simply go out a few times a week for salad and not even bother with the stress of dealing with produce. I just need to find a cheap salad somewhere. I am sure there are plenty of choices.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/11/12 11:09 PM
That is a fine option too!

Today's lunch - Delicious lowcarb romaine salad with grape tomatoes, cheese, olives, cucumber & hard boiled egg. Bob made it for me smile What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/16/12 12:58 AM
Having my Very Veggie lunch with cheese tomatoes olives and sugar-free raspberry dressing. With cottage cheese, a treat! And Mio-flavored water. I like the Peach-Mango. What are you guys having today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/19/12 12:12 AM
Bob made me a lovely romaine salad for lunch with hard boiled egg, tomatoes, and other goodies. What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/21/12 12:30 AM
I'm having my daily lunch - very veggie salad, tomatoes, cheese, olives, pomegranate dressing. Filling and delicious. What are you guys eating?
Posted By: ExerciseEditor Re: Salad Time - 07/21/12 02:08 AM
I usually have my salad for dinner. Here's one from two nights ago. Pile of mixed greens with 3 oz grilled organic chicken, carrots, mushrooms, avocado, heirloom tomatoes, celery, pepper jack cheese, and balsamic vinegar.

Today I had about 1/3 of that wrapped in a small tortilla with mustard instead of balsamic. So good!

Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 07/21/12 06:27 AM
Basic ensalada w/honey mustard dressing. Farmer's Market fresh mixed greens, tomatoes and cukes.

Monica, that salad looks divine.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 07/24/12 06:27 PM
Monica, love the picture!

My salad has romaine, iceberg, spinach, radicchio, English cucumbers, tomatoes, and Wishbone Light Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette. I love that dressing! It's so pleasant tasting.

My lunch also has a Roasted Red Pepper and Spinach Chicken Sausage on a slice of sprouted grain bread. Dessert is half of a cup of blueberries with Greek yogurt.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/24/12 08:48 PM
It's lunchtime - meaning I'm having my Very Veggie salad with cheese tomatoes and pomegranate vinaigrette. My dressing today is the Hidden Valley Farmhouse Originals - 60 calories a serving. What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/25/12 11:10 PM
I'm having my lunch - any guesses as to what it might be? I'm sure you will never guess smile
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 07/26/12 12:58 AM
I had a salad out at a lovely restaurant today. It had mixed greens, blue cheese, red onions, pecans, and raspberry vinaigrette. It was good, but the ones that you make sound better!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 07/28/12 04:49 AM
Today I had chicken salad with some fruit and nuts in it. Does that count?
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 07/28/12 11:11 PM
Grilled a steak and had it over cucumbers, spinach and grape tomatoes - a sprinkle of cheese (and for the cheese lover in me it was hard to keep it at a sprinkle) and balsamic vinegarette. Finished off the meal with ONE Healthy choice frozen yogurt. Those are hard to find, the website they were not going to be released nationwide til later in August, but our Walmarts carry them now.

I'm feeling healthy today.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/28/12 11:36 PM
OK my son is visiting so instead of my usual salad for lunch I had four slices of sausage pizza. Not very lowcarb, I know smile Ooops. Sleepy too. Are you guys doing better than me today?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 07/29/12 02:45 AM
I had a bunch of fried eggplant for dinner. Probably not better for me than pizza!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/30/12 12:33 AM
LOL I do think eggplant wins out over pizza smile

I was better today - had my morning protein shake and then "only" was as bad as Triscuits and cheese for lunch. Still sluggy as a result. What did you guys have today? Tomorrow I get back to normal eating, which will be good.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/30/12 01:53 AM
I'm doing better now - I made my traditional salad for a 9pm meal. I do love it so. It definitely makes me feel good.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 07/30/12 02:04 AM
Lisa, I love Triscuits and Best Choice Pepperjack cheese. Sooo good!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/30/12 10:26 PM
LOL Connie - I do love them, but they're not things I should eat in large quantities every day smile

I'm enjoying a delicious lowcarb salad with tomatoes cheese eggs olives and low-sugar Italian dressing. My boyfriend was sweet and made a tupperware of pre-cut eggs so I actually add them on now. What are you having? Anything tasty?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 07/31/12 06:24 AM
Okay, cool. I found four kinds of pre-made veggie salads that include chicken at my grocery store. When the new food stamps go through i will start picking up a few of those to eat each week.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 08/01/12 12:25 AM
I had some artisan lettuce, cherry tomatoes, mayo, and blue cheese with a sprinkle of garlic and black pepper. Yum.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 08/01/12 12:26 AM
I had some artisan lettuce, cherry tomatoes, mayo, and blue cheese with a sprinkle of garlic and black pepper. Yum.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/01/12 11:54 PM
Dear Jilly -

That's awesome news! Definitely give them a try. I highly recommend them as easy and nutritious.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/01/12 11:55 PM
I'm having my daily low carb tomato-olive-cheese very veggy salad while reading my diversity textbook. What are you guys eating tonight?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/03/12 09:25 PM
I bet you all can guess I'm having my lowcarb very veggie with olives tomatoes and cheese smile What are you guys having? Something nice?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/06/12 09:11 PM
Yes, it's lunchtime for me, so it's my lowcarb very veggie salad with cheese tomatoes olives! What are you guys having this sunny day?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 08/07/12 04:02 AM
Someone made me a refried bean dish with lettuce under it. I made sure to eat all the lettuce. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/07/12 07:40 PM
Enjoying a nice lowcarb romaine salad with cheese tomatoes olives - what are you guys munching on this fine afternoon?
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 08/08/12 03:16 PM
Yesterday I cheated and had a salad from Famous Dave's BBQ. It was a fried chicken salad. Fortuantely, they are kind of skimpy on the meat so it was mostly lettuce. It was yummy and I didn't even use all of the BBQ salad dressing they give you. Unfortunately, they do serve it with a corn muffin and I LOVE their corn muffins so...

It's funny how restaurants can take a salad and make it 1000 calories! Like I adore the quesidilla explosion salad at Chili's. That one is almost 1000. Could be the addition of the quesidilla's but they are so good!
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 08/08/12 03:53 PM
Yesterday I had a green smoothie for lunch and a greek salad for dinner.

Today I'm making a collard salad and a kale salad. Both greens are hearty and hold well for a few days. So, I have lunch and dinner for the next two days.

Green smoothies, full of spinach, for breakfast, Yay!
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 08/08/12 05:03 PM
You all are so healthy! Puts me to shame! :-)
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 08/08/12 05:12 PM
Dianne-

I only post on this forum when I am making up for the days I don't post about. whistle
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/12/12 10:04 PM
LOL Yvonnie smile

Dianne - don't feel shame! Feel pride that you're giving it thought! One step at a time smile

I'm having my lowcarb very veggie salad while finishing my paper on Diversity for class. What are you guys eating? Something tasty?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 08/13/12 12:17 AM
Kale Salad
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/15/12 09:07 PM
Kale is tasty!

Yes it's my lunchtime which means I'm having my very veggie salad! Cheese tomatoes olives, pomegranate dressing! How about you? Are you whipping up something delicious?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 08/15/12 10:19 PM
Yesterday, I had some crunchy water, AKA Iceberg Lettuce. The wedge had a sprinkle of garlic sea salt, a bit of mayo, and some blue cheese! Yum!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/16/12 05:49 PM
LOL crunchy water, I love that Connie smile It's filling and has good fiber in it! Just make sure to eat some nutritious things too - your body needs nutrition!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/16/12 09:15 PM
Lunchtime for me! Yes, very veggy olives cheese, no tomatoes, they're wrinkly smile Pomegranate dressing. What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/17/12 11:53 PM
Back from kayaking, enjoying my very veggie salad with cheese olives tomatoes and pom dressing. I was hungry! What are you having?
Posted By: Christin - Tarot Re: Salad Time - 08/18/12 01:21 AM
I wanted to have a salad today, but all the lettuce at the market looked particularly gross, so we had zucchini roasted instead smile. My favorite salads though are mixed baby greens, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, sometimes olives, a tiny bit of soy cheese, and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts with poppyseed dressing. Now I'm hungry lol.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/22/12 09:49 PM
That's a shame about the lettuce, Christin! That should be a staple product that they always have in good shape for you.

The zucchini sounds tasty!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/22/12 09:49 PM
Having my standard very veggie salad with tomatoes cheese olive and pomegranate dressing for lunch. What are you guys having?
Posted By: Lyn-Christian Lit Re: Salad Time - 08/23/12 02:11 AM
Do you make your own dressing?

We are on Atkins in an attempt to drop some much needed weight. Our daily salads are either blue cheese wedges or mixed greens with taco meat.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 08/23/12 02:29 AM
Lisa, I haven't been eating salads lately. We've been having cooked collard, mustard, and turnip greens. They are so yummy!
Posted By: Stevie_80 Re: Salad Time - 08/23/12 08:26 AM
My standard dressing is just olive oil and balsamic. Can anyone recommend something else healthy to add to change things up a bit
Posted By: Claybird Re: Salad Time - 08/24/12 11:15 PM
I make maple syrup from two big maples in my yard. Last winter I overcooked a batch and it almost turned to maple sugar. So I put a spoonful of that thick grainy syrup into a batch of olive oil and balsamic dressing, and that little bit of maple flavor makes a delicious difference. I figure that the calories in a few drops of syrup in every bowlful of salad is almost negligible.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/27/12 09:27 PM
That is a delightful idea, Claybird! Thank you for sharing that!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/27/12 09:28 PM
Stevie - I adore herbs. There are so many to choose from! Rosemary one day, basil the next, sage the third. Do you have any favorite herbs?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/27/12 09:28 PM
It's lunchtime so that of course means low carb very veggie with tomatoes cheese olives! smile What are you having today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/30/12 08:51 PM
Having Very Veggy salad with olives tomatoes cheese and testing out the Kraft light House Italian dressing with it. How about you?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 09/01/12 10:13 PM
Mixed greens, perfectly ripened tomatoes, kalamata olives, and chicken breast, tossed in apple cider vinegar, herbs, and garlic salt.

Its so yummy!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/04/12 10:15 PM
Yup lunchtime means very veggy salad with olives cheese tomatoes and lite low carb italian dressing. How about you?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 09/04/12 10:55 PM
Lettuce with a little mayo and gorgonzola with freshly ground pepper. It's easy and a bit decadent, but I love this. We got some wonderful gorgonzola crumbles at Costco.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/05/12 11:10 PM
That sounds great Connie!

Lunchtime for Lisa means low carb very veggie salad with cheese olives and lite italian dressing. What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/07/12 10:07 PM
Lunchtime for me - my typical very veggie salad with cheese olives and tomatoes. Wishbone red wine vinaigrette. How about you?
Posted By: Aquarius322 Re: Salad Time - 09/07/12 10:43 PM
Nhammmm... Watermelon with feta cheese and mint leaves is wonderful ad a very fresh salad for summer time!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/07/12 11:11 PM
That sounds great, Aquarius! I do enjoy watermelon smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/09/12 12:36 AM
I'm having something different for lunch! An oriental cucumber salad over my very veggie. Soy sauce, vinegar, delicious! How about you?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/10/12 01:26 AM
I'm having a salad now, it's the cucumber with soy sauce over some very veggie. So I did end up having a salad, too, after all smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/12/12 11:15 PM
Out of very veggie, having a regular iceberg salad with cheese, olives, red wine vinaigrette. Not quite the same. How about you?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/14/12 12:15 AM
Having my very veggie salad a bit late, back from a lovely afternoon of kayaking. What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/14/12 10:53 PM
Yup lunchtime for Lisa means lowcarb Very Veggie. Red wine vinaigrette, olives. What are you guys enjoying this fine Friday?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/19/12 11:30 PM
It's lunchtime for me! Very veggie salad tomatoes olives, out of cheese. Red wine vinaigrette. What are you eating today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/22/12 01:02 AM
Very Veggie salad with olives eggs and red wine vinaigrette dressing. What did you guys eat today? Anything tasty?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/23/12 12:03 AM
Enjoying my very veggie salad with olive cheese and hard boiled eggs, sugar-free raspberry dressing. What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/28/12 09:40 PM
Having my Very Veggie low carb salad with olives cheese and sugar-free raspberry dressing. What are you enjoying tonight?

Sorry about being quiet for a while - my hard drive crashed and I'm just now getting the new system healthy.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/03/12 01:33 AM
Lunchtime for me is half a very veggie bag, today with olives cheese and sugar-free raspberry dressing. What are you eating today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/03/12 11:01 PM
Lunchtime for Lisa means Very Veggie salad with cheese olives and sugar-free raspberry dressing! What are you having today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/04/12 10:23 PM
Yup it's very veggie time with cheddar cheese, olives, and sugar-free raspberry dressing. What are you having?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 10/06/12 02:49 AM
This thread continues to be helpful to me. I have been doing pretty well with having salad type dinners this month. This is such a great reminder to just start where I am and not worry about the past.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/09/12 12:29 AM
Dear Jilly -

That is absolutely true. Time spent worrying about the past is just more wasted time. The past is gone. Focus on doing the best you can with your current actions!

That is great that you're enjoying salads!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/09/12 12:29 AM
I'm Out of Very Veggie. Eating a Romaine salad with cheese, olives, and Ken's lite raspberry-walnut dressing.

What are you guys eating?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/10/12 12:20 AM
Still out of Very Veggie. Having a romaine salad with olives cheese and walnut raspberry dressing. How about you?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/14/12 10:34 PM
I'm just back from a 3 day writing retreat in Vermont. It was lovely! The chef made us delicious food. I'm back to normal now smile

I'm eating a very veggie salad with olives, cheese, and walnut raspberry dressing. What low carb stuff have you guys been eating today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/22/12 07:09 PM
Just back from a gorgeous weekend in Plum Island! It was serene, restful, beautiful, and I adored our walk on the beach.

Having my afternoon Very Veggie salad with hard boiled egg, cheese, olives, rasp-walnut dressing. What are you eating?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/26/12 09:28 PM
I'm out of very veggie, so having a romaine salad with hard boiled eggs, olives, cheese, rasp-walnut dressing. What lowcarb are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/29/12 08:40 PM
Enjoying very veggie salad while the winds how outside. What low carb food do you eat while Sandy approaches? Are you in its path? I'm in Massachusetts, so it's going "around" me, but we're still getting pummeled with the wind. It's already blown the top off our bird feeder.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/20/12 01:42 AM
Enjoying my very veggie with cheese olives and pomegranate. Plus pomegranate dressing too smile What low carb menu have you had today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/27/12 01:46 AM
Enjoying very veggie salad with olives and fresh pomegranate, plus pomegranate dressing. What are you guys having today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/20/12 12:32 AM
Had a very veggie salad with cheddar, olives, egg and Italian dressing. I'm glad to be back enjoying salads smile What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/06/13 05:43 AM
I think I'm on Australian time - I'm having my very veggie salad for lunch at 5:41am. Anyone else awake? What are you having? smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/07/13 06:11 PM
Having my Very Veggie - I love this stuff. Quick, easy, nutritious. What low carb things are you eating today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/08/13 01:47 PM
Today my very veggie salad features Ken's Northern Italian dressing, quite tasty! I love the basil in this. What are you guys having today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/09/13 03:14 PM
Having my Very Veggie salad with ranch dressing today. Mio flavored water is my drink. What are you guys having?
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 01/17/13 01:47 PM
I am having a salad for lunch for the second day in a row. I'm trying this again, I had salad yesterday and I was SO HUNGRY, by the time I got home for work a few hours later, I was tempted to snack the entire time I was making stir-fry for dinner....LOL...

I guess if I keep at it, soon I will not feel the need to eat a huge lunch, but still not be starved by dinner.
Posted By: Dr. Hershey-MH Re: Salad Time - 01/17/13 02:00 PM
Dianne,

Not sure if you had protein in your salad, but I find that if I add hard boiled eggs or fish/chicken/meat to my salad, it keeps me full for longer periods of time.

I also add a coconut oil based salad dressing. Healthy saturated fats help to keep you satiated.
Hope this helps smile
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 01/17/13 08:44 PM
Thanks Dr. Hershey,

I think that probably is my problem, I am such a meat eater and I'm trying to eat healthier. Not to say that meat isn't healthy, but I'm trying to put more greens into my diet. I definitely think you're on the right track for me. Perhaps trying to go cold turkey on not having it for lunch was probably too much - I actually had a little smoked turkey (really, no pun intended) with my salad today and I did a little better.

Many, many thanks for your input.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/18/13 04:31 PM
Yup definitely you need protein in your diet, no matter what diet plan you follow. So for example my morning shake has protein, and then my salad has cheese in it. It's of course important to have veggies / greens too! So if you're having a salad for lunch, finding a way to have protein in it is a good idea.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/18/13 04:55 PM
Having my traditional Very Veggie for lunch with olives, cheddar, and sugar-free raspberry dressing. How about you?
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 01/20/13 03:51 PM
Has anyone tried the Salad Additions from Lean Cuisine, if so what do you think? I tried them and loved them, but I went to one website and so many people are bashing them. I thought they were good.
Posted By: Stephanie - Weight Loss Re: Salad Time - 01/20/13 04:01 PM
My main issue with them is the addition of color additives, sugar and they're high in sodium. Plus, I don't eat meat. But, health wise probably the main problem is what I mentioned about the additives.

The other problem to me is the cost. I can create those same additions, from scratch,with less additives and cost. But, having said all that, if you like them, and are okay with the nutritional issues and it helps you stick to your plan, who can ever say you're wrong?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/22/13 08:10 PM
Hmmm I haven't tried the Salad Additions - I think from what I see there that I'd be likely to steam edamame myself and use that, vs using one of their mixes. I'd prefer to use bits of fresh rotisserie chicken left over from dinner the night before; for me frozen chicken just isn't appealing. But we're all different! We all have different needs and different ways of getting salad into us.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/22/13 08:10 PM
Breakfast was my EAS shake, lunch was my Very Veggie with olives cheese and Italian dressing. What are you guys having?
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 01/22/13 09:56 PM
My life has been so busy recently, I barely have time to fix dinner many nights.I think the rotissere chicken and fresh veggies sound amazing. Many of my current committments end in June - I will have finished preparing and presenting three training classes, my term will end as president of DCSHRM, and I will have finished studying and taken the PHR... then I can get back to my writing and marketing the way I have in my plans and start cooking healthy from scratch again.

Stephanie, I definitely agree it depends on one's circumstances. I have bought fresh, but it usually spoiled before I use it or before I used all of it - then it just became a costly waste.

For right now, the "cheating" by buying pre-packaged,over fresh lettuce serves two needs - it stops me from running across the street and grabbing a burger for lunch because it's convenient. Second, I've eaten more veggies this past week then I ever have.

All in good time... :-)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/04/13 09:52 PM
Dianne -

We just buy the rotisserie chicken pre-done at WalMart, steam some brussels sprouts in a bag, and are ready in 2 minutes. So this is completely "brainless" - I recommend it!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/04/13 09:52 PM
I'm having a very veggie salad with colby cheese, olives, and light Italian dressing. What are you guys having tonight?
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 02/04/13 11:00 PM
Hi Lisa. Tonight I made an Atkins recipe casserole. It was ham, broccoli, mozzarella cheese, green onions, and a whole bunch of eggs. We really liked it. We are eating Atkins right now so I am on the prowl for recipes. I'm a little tired of salad.
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 09:08 AM
Lisa, I didn't like brussel sprouts before, but my kids did so I started eating them more. I really like them now. This does sound like a quick and easy meal.

Terri, that sounds yummy!

Given my recent stomach issues, I thought I would try a food that isn't too bad on the "return trip" so I tried a celery stick and a couple of carrots.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 12:03 PM
After a LOT of setbacks, my family agreed to go low-carb. We watched a video suggested by our former personal trainer (yes, we actually had one but for only a month!); it was called, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and I highly recommend it, too. Very inspiring, although he recommends a vegan--and not just low-carb--diet.

Anyway, we're off on our low-carb lifestyle. Last night, I made a warm lentil salad with oven-roasted veggies. Boiled and drained lentils. Chopped zucchini, onion, tomato, garlic cloves, green bell pepper, cauliflower, and mushrooms. Tossed with olive oil. Roasted until slightly carmelized. Mixed in the lentils and tossed with a homemade dressing of fresh lemon juice, olive oil, tomato juice, herbs, salt, pepper and a touch of honey. Served on Romaine lettuce leaves.

My DH and son did not miss the meat. I realized that instead of the dressing, I could add all of this into a small pot of chicken broth and make a delicious lentil and roasted vegetable soup.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 01:12 PM
Lori, I also like to add salad veg into broth for a soup, especially in cold weather.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 01:59 PM
You just inspired me to do just that, Susan. My daughter made a vegetarian "taco" salad with shredded cheese, beans, veggies, lettuce and salsa. I didn't feel like eating a salad since it is a little chilly here so I tossed some beans and salsa into some broth. Viola! Instant Mexican bean soup. Sort of. laugh
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 02:33 PM
sounds good!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 08:49 PM
Terri -

There is a TON of things you can eat on Atkins! The key is to explore all the healthy veggies out there. What veggies do you currently eat?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 08:50 PM
Dear Dianne -

I definitely recommend building up likes for a variety of veggies. I used to dislike carrots. Now I can enjoy them. I used to not be fond of brussels sprouts and now I adore them. The more the merrier!

Creamed spinach can be quite tasty smile.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 08:51 PM
Dear Lori -

Yes we own the video Fat Sick and Nearly Dead and have lent it to friends. It was a reason we got our blender - Bob's made lots of veggie shakes now.

Your veggie dinner sounds absolutely fantastic!
Posted By: Dianne W - Editor Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 09:53 PM
When I was young, I hated veggies. Green beans had to have french dressing before I could eat them. Lima beans and black-eyed peas needed to be doused in ketchup. Greens? The horror!

Now I love green beans, especially if they are lightly steamed with cherry tomatoes and a touch of garlic. Greens? Love them. I still can't eat lima beans or black-eyed peas,the thought still makes me gag, but I eat a lot more veggies without masking the taste, including brussel sprouts.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 10:22 PM
Dianne -

That's great! Whenever we go to the store I try to seek out an unusual veggie that we haven't tried before. Then we take it home, google it, and figure out what to do. It's great fun smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 10:23 PM
Having my very veggie salad with olives, colby cheese, and light ranch dressing. I love this smile. What are you guys having?
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 11:04 PM
That's a problem for me because I'm not a veggie lover. I have been experimenting with salads with things like red onion, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, cabbage. I like to eat the small sweet peppers that come already packaged with red, yellow, and orange. My husband will eat whatever I make. He is not picky.
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 02/05/13 11:09 PM
Dianne, I grew up in the south and love green beans cooked with red potatoes. Of course, potatoes are not low-carb, but we didn't care about that back then.

I still love lima beans, pinto beans, and black eyed peas. We used to have collard greens served at school lunches. I remember we doused them with vinegar. I haven't had any in a long time. I'm making myself homesick.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/16/13 04:44 PM
Terri - you should make yourself some collard greens!

I had my EAS shake in the morning, and am now having Very Veggie with cheese, olives, and ranch. What are you guys having?
Posted By: Rhonda C Re: Salad Time - 02/17/13 12:07 PM
We grow collard greens and love to have them with a bit of garlic, shallots, and bacon. Top it off with Balsamic Vinegar. So good!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/17/13 06:52 PM
Had a shake for breakfast, now having my traditional salad for lunch - how are you guys doing this fine Sunday?
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 02/17/13 10:15 PM
Lisa, I'm counting carbs and I'm new to this. My husband and I have been doing Atkins. Atkins uses the net carb-sugar alcohol deal. Should I use this method going forward or stick just to carbs once we are on our own?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 02/17/13 10:39 PM
I love greens of any variety. My mother was from the south, and I also love all kinds of beans and peas. As I've grown older, I've learned to eat them without the obligatory pound of bacon thrown in for "seasoning."
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 02/17/13 10:49 PM
But don't you miss that good ole bacon grease? Did your Mom keep a grease can in the cabinet under the sink?

I am trying to get my husband to eat greens. He is still a little hesitant.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 02/18/13 11:27 AM
I still keep a little bacon grease in a jar in the fridge. I dole it out a teaspoon at a time.

My husband loves his greens! He'd never had them before we got married.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/21/13 07:43 PM
Had my EAS shake for breakfast and am now having lunch of very veggie salad with cheese, olives, and ranch dressing. How about you guys?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/23/13 07:54 PM
It's lunchtime for me so I'm about to make my very veggie salad. I had my EAS shake for breakfast. How are you guys doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/27/13 08:32 PM
Had my shake for breakfast, now having salad with olives and cheese, and light Italian dressing. Sadly, my store no longer carries Very Veggie (the bagged brand I loved) and now has a store version. There are less pea pods in it. Hmph. smile What are you having?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 02/28/13 04:50 PM
Had dental surgery yesterday and my mouth hurts. Been eating soft food, and treated myself to a carb bonanza. Oops.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 02/28/13 05:01 PM
Oh, I'm sorry that you're hurting, Jilly. On the bright side, you got necessary dental work done! I still need some...:(

As for low-carbing it, I made some shirazi last night. That fresh cucumber-tomato-mint salad dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. smile

Lisa, you've got me hooked on those low-carb chocolate shake drinks from Advantage. I don't drink them daily but I do drink them when I need to rush out in the morning. They taste great, keep me filled and have a slow glucose rise. Thanks!
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 02/28/13 05:23 PM
I need to try those shakes.

Lori, thanks for your kind thoughts on my mouth. It's nice to have an excuse to eat soft, sweet food sometimes. wink

And yeah, YAY on getting needed dental work done. I don't want to lose my teeth. FLOSS, everyone! Go now.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/28/13 09:00 PM
Jilly - it's fine to rest and relax when recovering! It's great that you took care of your teeth!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/28/13 09:01 PM
Lori - I'm glad you enjoy the shakes! They're definitely just right for me in the mornings. I'm not up for eating something, but I know my body needs nutrients after the long night's fast.

I had my shake earlier, now having my salad. Yes I like my routine smile. What are you guys having today?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 02/28/13 09:18 PM
I might go back to having a glass of milk in the morning. I remember liking that when I was low carbing. I don't really feel hungry for a few hours after I wake up.

I like routine, too. I need to make some. I'm dedicated to working on it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/02/13 08:18 PM
Take it one day at a time Jilly! You're doing great!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/02/13 08:18 PM
Salad time! I even have hard boiled egg on it today, thanks to my boyfriend Bob. Ranch dressing, olives, cheese. How about you guys?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/11/13 10:00 AM
Wow I'm actually having a salad at a normal lunchtime. This morning-waking-up stuff is strange smile How about you guys?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 03/16/13 09:33 PM
I had a nice tuna salad today with roma tomatoes, romaine and spinach. I should eat like this more. No cooking, but still quick and healthy.
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 03/16/13 10:59 PM
Sounds good Jilly. We had a baby spinach salad with dinner. It was good too.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 03/17/13 12:16 AM
Jilly,

Thats sounds yummy. I haven't had a salad in three days. My last one was baby kale & spinach with onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers, dressed in apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and pepper.

Anyway, time to get back on track.. I'll start with a detox.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/19/13 05:20 PM
It's definitely a good idea to have a salad each day, even a small one! Salads provide a wealth of nutrients if done with healthy items.

I had my salad today! Tasty smile
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 03/19/13 05:41 PM
I didn't have a real salad but I had a bowl of celery sticks and baby carrots. This was a good batch of baby carrots, they were real sweet.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/21/13 04:11 PM
Terri - that's salad-like!

Had my morning shake and now my very veggie lunch with olives, cheese, and ranch dressing. What are you all eating today?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 03/21/13 07:24 PM
Enjoyed a winter salad of spinach, goat cheese, cranberries, walnuts, and a balsamic vinegar dressing.

Later, I had a kale, oranges, red cabbage, sunflower, with sesame dressing salad.

I've discovered that it is better for me to just grab a few salads from Whole Foods on days that I cannot organize myself better. By doing so, I learn not to be so disorganized that often (too pricey), but it also keeps me from choosing to eat anything else (just spent $6 on two tiny salads).

In between, I munched on carrots and drank tea.

I'd say that was a really good salad day.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/22/13 02:51 PM
Yvonnie -

That sounds great! A salad a day is quite healthy for you smile.

I'm having my very veggie salad lunch with olives, cheese, ranch. What are you guys having today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/24/13 03:35 PM
Started today with my EAS shake, now haivng my very veggie salad with 3 types of ranch dressing. How is your low carb day going?

I had 3 ranches because: 1) my bacon ranch was nearly done, 2) I have a parmesan ranch which I can only use a little of at a time before the flavor overwhelms me, so I had to 3) fill it out with a mild 'normal' ranch smile.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 03/24/13 03:57 PM
My elderly uncle has been living with me for the past two weeks so it has been white rice every night along with lots of Japanese food. But he will be at my sister's for a bit and I am so looking forward to getting back to salads! smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/27/13 06:50 PM
That's great that you were able to spend time with him, Lori!

Had my shake and salad - the day is going well smile. Bob even made me homemade lemonade! How are you guys doing?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 03/27/13 11:01 PM
I've been doing great for the past 6 days, in terms of salads; even though most of them have been tasteless; because I can't smell.

Today, I had a salad with pecans, feta cheese, mixed greens, cranberries, and a balsamic vinaigrette.

That said, I ate way too many nuts today.
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 03/28/13 11:24 AM
Yvonnie, that is my favorite salad. I'm careful about the pecans, no more than a tablespoon and sometimes I crumble a little bacon on it. Then I use Honey Mustard. Hmmmmm! So good.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 03/28/13 10:57 PM
Today-

I enjoyed a yellow beet salad w/walnuts, a few orange slices, a few grapes, a few red onions, and some green onions. It was dressed in an orange vinaigrette.

It was almost like dessert. I had to make sure I ate a greener salad for dinner: mixed greens, sundried tomatoes, grape tomatoes, kalamata olives, and pine nuts, dressed in honey mustard dressing.

A yummy day!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/30/13 07:15 PM
You guys are doing awesome with your salads! You're much more creative than I am smile. I go for quick and easy usually.

I'm finishing up my final paper in my Motivation class, about a dieter. I'm eating a salad while I polish it up. Plus some cottage cheese. Yummm!
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 03/30/13 08:22 PM
Tonight we are having baby spinach and wild arugula, heirloom tomatoes, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries and dried peach pieces, and a piquant vinaigrette. The salad goes well with seafood.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/30/13 11:52 PM
That sounds delicious Connie!

I should get some dried cranberries ...
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 03/31/13 09:30 AM
If you have an Aldi, buy them there. They are so reasonable.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/01/13 04:31 PM
I haven't heard of Aldi, so I don't think we have them around here. Many of our stores do carry dried cranberries though. We are surrounded by cranberry bogs here, so it's a "typical item" here.

Today I'm having my Very Veggie salad with cheese, ranch dressing, and some "dragon egg" smile
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 04/01/13 06:39 PM
mixed baby romaine, pine nuts, grape tomatoes, and sundried tomatoes, tossed in a homemade dressing of lemon juice, apple cider vinegar (directly from the apple orchard), chopped garlic, and rustic tuscan herbs. And I enjoyed 1/2 piece of salmon with it.

Happy, happy, happy.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 04/01/13 06:46 PM
Hey Terri-

Someone told me the pecans were supposed to be candied. That could be deadly (LOL).
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/18/13 04:46 PM
Having my Very Veggie salad with ranch dressing, olives, and cheddar cheese. How about you?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/08/13 07:59 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, and my very veggie salad for lunch. Now pondering snacks. Did you guys have a salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/09/13 03:27 PM
Had my EAS shake for breakfast, now having Very Veggie salad for lunch. How about you guys? Any salad yet today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/15/13 08:06 PM
Having a store-bought salad that Bob brought home yesterday, so it doesn't wilt. We don't normally eat store bought salads, I think he bought it thinking he'd be able to eat it while he was out and he never did. It's fairly nice with hard boiled eggs and little tomatoes and such.

Having a salad every day is SO important for your health. Have you had your salad today?
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 05/15/13 08:25 PM
I wasn't going to have a salad tonight but your post changed my mind. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/15/13 08:32 PM
LOL I am a force for good!! smile

I just finished the salad up and it was really tasty. I'm glad I ate it. I admit I left the onion bits behind. I'm just not that fond of onion. Hmmm and the green pepper bits. So that is my full disclosure smile
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 05/15/13 08:54 PM
Yes, you are! And now I'm prepping for our meditation in five minutes!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/16/13 07:40 PM
So far had my EAS shake and a salad with cottage cheese. What are you eating today? Any salad?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 05/16/13 07:52 PM
I had hearts of Romaine with Three Sisters Corn Bean Salad on top. It is so tasty!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/17/13 09:35 PM
Connie -

That does sound delicious! A salad every day helps keep you healthy!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/18/13 05:17 PM
Today I had my EAS shake for breakfast and now I'm having a very veggie salad with cheese, olives, and Italian dressing. I'm having a side of cottage cheese with a few pear slices.

Have you had your salad yet today? A salad today is very good for you smile.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/20/13 08:22 PM
Today I've had my morning EAS shake, Chobani mango yogurt snack, and now I'm having my very veggie salad with olives cheese eggs. Aim for a salad every day!

Did you have your salad yet today?
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 05/21/13 12:16 PM
I had my salad yesterday. But I wonder with all that dressing if it is so healthy after all?

Again, you inspire me to eat a salad a day. I will post my daily salad here!

Yesterday, I had an Asian chicken salad with cabbages, greens, almonds and mandarin oranges.

Today, I will have a fresh spring mix topped with red onion, cucumber, carrots and avocado! And a homemade fresh lemon vinaigrette. Gosh, I love my avocado and lemon trees.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/22/13 02:59 PM
Lori -

Take it one step at a time. Having a salad at all is a great thing! Then you can tweak the dressing if you have to smile.

Your salads sound delicious!

I had an EAS shake for breakfast, and am pondering a salad for lunch. Are you guys having salads today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/22/13 07:41 PM
Enjoying my very veggie salad with egg, olives, cheese, Italian dressing. I took a nap in the middle smile. Did you guys have a salad?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/17/13 04:52 PM
Having a lovely very veggie salad mix with olives, cheddar cheese, and ranch dressing. Have you had your salad yet today?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 06/17/13 06:26 PM
We are going to have romaine with tomatoes and sliced steak.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/18/13 08:30 PM
Connie - that sounds good! What type of tomatoes do you eat?

Today I had ribs for lunch rather than my normal salad, so I imagine I'll have my salad for dinner smile.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/19/13 05:56 PM
Had my EAS shake for breakfast, and now having a very veggie salad for lunch. With Mio-flavored water. How are you guys doing? Did you have a salad yet?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/28/13 06:30 PM
Had my EAS shake for breakfast, now pondering a salad and cottage cheese for lunch. Sounds tasty to me! Have you guys had your salad yet today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/30/13 07:43 PM
When it gets hot out I lose interest in eating. So far I've had an EAS shake and some greek yogurt. Maybe a cool salad might work? Have you guys had a salad yet today?
Posted By: Chelle Marriage - Marriage Editor Re: Salad Time - 07/01/13 01:15 PM
Oh yes! During the summer I love salads with berries in them. Marzetti's makes a great creamy version of a balsamic vinaigrette that goes great on berry salads. A little goes a long way.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/01/13 08:42 PM
Chelle -

If I do have a "challenge" with salads it's that I adore lots of dressing. So I tend to douse it. I'm at my ideal weight so it's not that it matters in that sense, but generally I imagine it's not very healthy. So I need to gently wean myself off of loads of dressing.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/15/13 09:45 PM
Enjoying a large salad with Italian dressing and cottage cheese, along with ice water. It helps to beat the heat. How about you? Have you had your salad today?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 07/15/13 11:02 PM
Yes! I eat many in a week! At my place of work we have an extensive tossed salad bar situated in downtown Brooklyn right by the NY Superior court house and a ton of exec. buildings. Salads are the rage around here!! Three of us toss salads constantly for a solid 2 1/2 hours.

There are the health conscious salad eaters and then there are the ones who have no idea what they want and add almost $8 of extra add-ins to there tub! Most go for the vinegar and oil or a vinaigrette, but others totally destroy their salad by adding almost a half a cup of creamy salad dressing to it.. Ah!

But the great thing is that the salad bars and the like that are springing up around the country are enticing people to eat more raw foods in a healthy way. That's a good thing!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/17/13 07:25 PM
Allyson -

Don't think of it as destroying it - at least people are eating salads. For example I have ranch on my salads. I'm at my ideal weight and ranch is what I like to eat on them. So for me it's a perfect match. I eat a salad every single day, and I love them. It wouldn't be worth it for me to put a dressing on that I hated, dislike the experience, and become unhealthily thin as a result smile.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 07/17/13 11:01 PM
Tonight I have spring greens and romaine. I added Muffalata Olive Salad, a drizzle of light Italian, a dollop of ranch, a bit of blue cheese, and 1/2 ounce (2 paper thin slices) of mortadella and coppa. It's a yummy salad.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 07/17/13 11:03 PM
Chelle, Marzetti used to make a light raspberry vinaigrette. It was lovely and perfect on my salads. This dressing was an amazing balance of taste and low calories. Unfortunately, they discontinued it. I still long for it.
Posted By: Chelle Marriage - Marriage Editor Re: Salad Time - 07/18/13 09:46 AM
Connie, I LOVED that dressing.

My favorite dressing by them was a honey-balsamic vinaigrette, but they discontinued that, too.

What's with them getting rid of all the good ones?!?

Another good one I've found is a creamy lemon dressing that you can get at Sweet Tomatoes restaurant. They'll sell it to you by weight if you ask them for it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/22/13 03:57 PM
Connie -

I've tried and tried to like blue cheese but something about the aroma just gets to me. Maybe I had a bad experience with it as a child and it's burned into my brain. Apparently kid brains are very sensitive to "bad food experiences" and once that connection is made, it's nearly impossible to unmake it. For healthy evolutionary reasons smile. My boyfriend still won't eat mayo as a mature adult, because of a childhood incident.

He won't even eat sour cream, because it looks the same and his stomach curdles.

So that's a shame, with all the yummy stuff that comes with blue cheese on it.
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 07/22/13 04:05 PM
Everyone's digestive system and how our bodies process food is different. Perhaps there also could be a natural aversion to some types of food that our brains subconsciously believe is "bad" for us (as in presenting a health risk). Let's face it, what makes blue cheese blue is the particular type of mold. Mold is a bacteria and humans generally view bacteria as a health risk.

This is an evolutionary reason.

There is some research that shows some of this may be inherited in our DNA from our ancestors so maybe if not you, Lisa, one of your early ancestors might have experienced a strong negative reaction to this type of mold.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/22/13 06:32 PM
Lori -

My mom adores stinky cheeses of all types, so I didn't get it from her! smile. My dad doesn't like cheese at all, though. So maybe I'm a mix of them.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/22/13 06:32 PM
Having my very veggie salad lunch with light italian dressing, olives, cheese, and cottage cheese on the side. Did you guys have your salad yet today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/23/13 06:06 PM
Lunchtime for me - very veggie salad with olives, cheese, and ranch dressing. I love the peapods in this smile A salad a day is good for you!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/03/13 04:00 PM
Enjoying my very veggie salad along with cottage cheese and Mio-flavored water. Did you guys have your salad today?
Posted By: Lori-Dreams Re: Salad Time - 08/03/13 04:04 PM
I had a soup and salad lunch Japanese-style. Fresh spring greens (although it's summer) with fresh lemon ponzu dressing (homemade), tofu w/ scallions and garlic edamame. Miso soup.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/04/13 09:49 PM
I love miso soup, Lori smile.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/04/13 09:49 PM
Ate a mix of things today - two EAS shakes, a salad, a few wild mushroom ravioli, and apples plus peanut butter.

Did you guys have a salad in your mix?
Posted By: Terri Jo Re: Salad Time - 08/04/13 10:16 PM
I had my favorite salad (for now) today: lettuce, feta chees, dried cranberries, pecans, and honey mustard dressing.
Yum!
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 08/06/13 12:23 AM
Hey Terri-

As you know, I like that one. Yum, yum.

Today I enjoyed a superfood salad; red cabbage, broccoli, kale, pepitas (dried pumpkin seeds), dried cranberries, and a honey mustard dressing. It's quite yummy.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/06/13 06:46 PM
I really should get pumpkin seeds or such to sprinkle over my salads. I will put that on Bob's shopping list smile.

No salad yet today - Bob brought me home yummy eggplant - but I also see a salad in the fridge. Yummmmm. So I'll be eating that later on. For some reason the dressing they use at this restaurant is just yummy. It's some sort of an Italian dressing. I should try to figure it out.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/21/13 05:12 PM
I'm having my very veggie salad with ranch, and cottage cheese for lunch. How are you doing today? Did you have a salad yet?
Posted By: Chelle Marriage - Marriage Editor Re: Salad Time - 08/21/13 05:33 PM
I just got a pre-made salad from the store to have for dinner tonight.

It has spring mix, strawberries, pecans, blue cheese, and a balsamic dressing.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/27/13 06:45 PM
Chelle -

I haven't quite gotten fond of blue cheese yet. I keep trying, but my stomach just isn't happy with it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/30/13 04:39 PM
Having my very veggie salad with no-sugar raspberry dressing today, as we're out of ranch. Must get more ranch.

Have you guys had a salad yet today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/31/13 03:13 PM
I'm thinking about my very veggie, but all I have is the raspberry dressing and I'm just not in the mood for that. I'm out of ranch. Hmmmm. I wonder if I can "make" a non-vinegar dressing. My stomach is in the mood for something non-acidic.
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Salad Time - 08/31/13 03:48 PM
An idea - put a half tsp. olive oil in the bottom of a wooden salad bowl. Take a piece of cut garlic and starting at the bottom make circles up the side of the bowl. The garlic flavors the oil. Then toss your garden salad in the bowl and it will coat the lettuce.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/04/13 03:46 PM
I'll have to remember that Susan - thanks!

I've had my EAS shake and am now pondering a salad. I have Very Veggie and Ranch dressing. Together at last.

Have you guys had your salad today?
Posted By: Susan Helene Kramer Re: Salad Time - 09/04/13 04:06 PM
For supper in our salad we had fresh tomatoes from the greenhouse, lettuce and cukes and cilantro from the garden with a tiny teaspoon of ranch. And I had baked chicken chunks in mine.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/04/13 04:54 PM
oohhhh that sounds delicious! We are absolutely OVERFLOWING with tomatoes right now. We have way too many. Bob says he'll make salsa out of them - hopefully soon!

I didn't even make my salad yet, I'm juggling eight things at once. I will go make that now! With some tomatoes! smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/06/13 06:49 PM
It's true what they say, home grown tomatoes taste better than store ones! Having my salad and cottage cheese.

Have you had your salad today? What kind?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/09/13 05:25 PM
Had my protein shake for breakfast, now having a chef salad with ham, green peppers, egg, etc. for lunch. Have you had your salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/13/13 04:58 PM
Aha! I do have Very Veggie for my salad with olives, cheese, and ranch dressing. Tasty. Plus some white wine sangria.

Have a salad today!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/19/13 07:26 PM
Had my EAS shake, then a lovely dinner with a friend - filet mignon with fresh veggies, and a salad with balsamic vinegar.

Did you have your salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/22/13 06:23 PM
Having a tasty salad while preparing to roll out the autumn Mused issue.

Find a way to enjoy a salad today!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/02/13 05:42 PM
Had my EAS shake for breakfast, and now having my salad with olives, cheese, and ranch for lunch.

Have you guys had your salad yet today?
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 10/02/13 08:24 PM
I now have access to a Trader Joes, and they accept food stamps. So I have a ton of produce options that are prepared. One chopped veggie thing I just sprinkle into my other meals.

I also was able to get a basil plant with my food stamps, and I can freely eat from that plant - I put tons of fresh basil into my omelet last night!
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 10/03/13 03:04 AM
I started my day with spinach, tomatoes, and roasted chicken with a mustard dressing.

I closed out the day with the 5 nutrient dense salad (I think that's what it is called); brussel sprouts, kale, cranberries, pepitas (or pumpkin seeds), and radicchio.

Good day overall, but I balanced it out with too much coffee, wine, and tea.

Oh well.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 10/03/13 06:05 AM
Yvonnie, you make inspired salads. That one that you brought to the Midwestern Conference was lovely.
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 10/04/13 06:56 PM
I poured the cut fresh veggies into my dinner last night, and need to remember to do that again tonite.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 10/06/13 12:33 AM
Thanks Connie!!!

I keep saying I should open a salads and desserts spot. LOL!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/17/13 04:41 PM
Bob brought me home a nice chef salad for lunch with turkey and egg. Tasty with ranch dressing.

Have you had a salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/20/13 09:51 PM
No salad yet today - but I'll have one later! How about you?
Posted By: Launa- Children's Books/Crafts Editor Re: Salad Time - 10/20/13 10:58 PM
Rice pasta, green peas, green onions, and balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
(must eat gluten-free and no cows milk or soy)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/21/13 12:43 AM
Launa - a pea and onion salad!

I had a salad with a nice quiche, tasty! smile
Posted By: Sadhana ~ Indian Food Re: Salad Time - 10/21/13 01:49 AM
I made my version of this salad over the weekend & it was delicious -- perfect for the fall! It's healthy, delicious & must try :-)

Pumpkin Salad with Pine Nuts Pecorino and Balsamic Vinegar

I used pecans instead of pine nuts (walnuts would be good too) and added some toasted pumpkin seeds to the salad. I also added some fresh rosemary & fresh ginger to the spice paste. I used a little freshly chopped cilantro as well at the end.

For a heartier meal, add some quinoa or couscous :-)
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/22/13 06:47 PM
Had my salad today, this time with Italian dressing. How are you guys doing with your salads?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/22/13 06:55 PM
Had my salad today, this time with Italian dressing. How are you guys doing with your salads?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 10/22/13 08:17 PM
Tried the new chicken and hummus power salad at Panera Bread today. They use a cilantro hummus and the juice of 1/4 of lemon as dressing, instead of the norm. It was tasty and filling. I was full half way through. Ingredients included, chicken breast, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and the cilantro hummus.

I think I'll try making it at home with my homemade kalamata olive hummus. I'll let you know when I do.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/23/13 11:22 PM
Yup had our salads today - tasty! Plus some eggplant parm. Did you guys get your salad in today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/24/13 04:48 PM
I'm looking forward to a fresh garden salad today - and some yummy Indian food. How are you guys doing today? Any salads in your future (or past)?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/26/13 05:28 PM
Time for my daily salad. I think ranch dressing today. Have you guys had your salad?
Posted By: Chelle Marriage - Marriage Editor Re: Salad Time - 10/26/13 06:21 PM
We are having chef salads for dinner tonight. Spring mix, chicken, cheese, egss, veggies - and everyone gets to choose their own dressing. I think I'll have blue cheese.

And David's frying up some zucchini to go with.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/04/13 09:28 PM
That sounds delicious, Chelle!

I'm having one of my favorite salads of all time - Japanese cucumber soy sauce salad -

Japanese Cucumber Salad Recipe

Are you guys having your salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/06/13 10:41 PM
I'm having a Japanese cucumber salad today - very tasty! What are you guys eating?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 11/07/13 12:02 AM
Today I had a salmon salad with beets, egg, cucumber and romaine lettuce with a touch of ranch for lunch.

I just finished off the fish curry and rice for my supper which I made a couple of days ago. Totally satisfied.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/09/13 10:41 PM
My salad tonight has pine nuts in it - I love these things smile. What's your special treat for your salads?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/11/13 10:29 PM
Had a craving for cottage cheese, so I gave into it. Bob brought me home a great salad, so that's up next. What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/19/13 12:10 AM
Monday is going well - my EAS shake for breakfast, my Very Veggie salad with pine nuts and Italian dressing. How did you do today? Any salads?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/20/13 07:14 PM
Had my EAS shake about noon, now thinking about lunch - salad, olives, cheese, Italian dressing. What are you having today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/22/13 10:29 PM
Having my salad this very minute with cheddar cheese, olives, pine nuts, and Italian dressing. I finished off the dressing. Did you guys have your salad yet today?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 11/23/13 02:28 PM
I sure did. My fave! Salmon, corn, beets, cucumber and red onions with romaine lettuce and white balsamic vinaigrette!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/23/13 08:22 PM
That sounds great, Allyson!

I've had my morning EAS shake, not quite ready for a salad yet. How are you guys doing today? Get your salad in?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/27/13 10:38 PM
Are you gearing up for turkey-day? Are there salads involved? I'm currently having a lovely salad and making origami smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/04/13 12:15 AM
OK finally having my lunch of a salad. I got too caught up in working. I need to take regular breaks.

How are you doing?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/26/13 08:44 PM
I'm finally back on a schedule. I had my morning shake earlier, and now I'm having a very veggie salad with cheese, olives, and ranch dressing - plus the rest of my Mumm bubbly.

Delicious!

Have you had a salad yet today?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 12/26/13 11:41 PM
Glad to hear you are getting better...I think it's the Mumm bubbly! smile

I had my salad for lunch today. Crunchy romaine lettuce, tuna, cucumbers, cashew nuts and corn with a white balsamic vinaigrette.

Totally delightful...it gave me so much energy!
Posted By: Linda Sue Grimes Re: Salad Time - 12/27/13 10:05 AM
I made a grape salad for Christmas, using green and red grapes; I now call it my "Christmas Grape Salad," and it will appear in my forthcoming cookbook, Vegan Delicious: Salads and Sides. Here's the recipe and a photo of it:

Ingredients
1 cup red grapes, halved
1 cup green grapes, halved
5 medium radishes, sliced & halved
1 medium cucumber, quartered & sliced
1/2 medium red onion, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, rough chopped
1/2 tsp each sea salt & coarse black pepper

Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 orange juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp Vegenaise (optional)

Instructions
1. Combine grapes, radishes, cucumber, celery, cilantro, and spices in large mixing bowl.
2. Prepare dressing by placing all dressing ingredients in measuring cup and whisking together until well-combined.
3. Pour dressing over grape mixture, stir well, and place in your prettiest serving bowl.

Christmas Grape Salad
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 12/27/13 12:35 PM
LindaSue,

That looks delightful. I love the red and green color theme for Christmas.

I will definitely try this as I love all of the seasonings you added to it, especially the cumin and chili powder...an interesting combination of flavors. Nicely done!
Posted By: Linda Sue Grimes Re: Salad Time - 12/27/13 03:58 PM
Thanks, Allyson!

I also make one I called "Three Grape Salad"; I just add halved black grapes to the mix.

I discovered "grape salads" last summer when I bought some red grapes that weren't seedless, and because they were so hard to eat, I decided to seed them and mix them with a few other ingredients and see what happened. Turned out tasty beyond imagination.

You can experiment with the other ingredients and spices to make any number and varieties of "grape salads."
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 12/28/13 12:36 AM
I sure will Linda Sue.

I am going to make your salad tomorrow. I love the radish added to this. Growing up in England my mum and dad ate radishes all the time. I love the peppery taste and crunch. Can't wait to taste these with the grapes.

Thanks smile
Posted By: Linda Sue Grimes Re: Salad Time - 12/28/13 08:00 AM
That's great, Alyson. Let me know how it turns out, especially if you have any suggestions for improvement.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/29/13 06:28 PM
I've had my morning shake; now preparing for lunch. Bob brought me home fresh Very Veggie smile.

Have you had a salad yet today? What kind?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/21/14 01:24 AM
I'm having my very veggie salad for lunch. I look forward to this every day. Such nice crunch and flavors smile.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/31/14 02:25 PM
Having Very Veggie with pomegranate, cheese, olives, pine nuts, and ranch - also Mio ice-tea flavored water.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/01/14 05:36 PM
Having my Very Veggie salad with pine nuts, cheese, olives, and ranch. What's your favorite type of dressing?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 02/01/14 07:12 PM
Balsamic (light or dark) vinaigrette!.. The dark one with a tad of ranch and the light all on it's own, especially with salmon in my salad.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/05/14 05:18 PM
Allyson - that sounds great! What kind of salmon do you put on your salad? I've never done that, and I love salmon.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/05/14 05:19 PM
I had my morning EAS shake earlier and now I'm on my Very Veggie lunch salad with pine nuts, olives, pomegranates.

Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 02/05/14 11:26 PM
Lisa - When my budget is flush, I love to use any wild-caught salmon (sockeye, Norweigan etc) it always has a deeper salmon taste - and you don't need to buy much for a salad.

First, I rub a little extra virgin olive oil over it and then some fresh chopped dill (s & p) as well if you like, then poach it until it's done in white wine and and lemon juice, then chill. Just flake it into the salad and toss.

Recently at work we have been selling some smoked wild salmon in small cryovac packages (6 oz. serving) and I tell you, it gives your salad a lovely smoky kick and 3 oz for 2 salads was plenty.

The dark and white balsamic vinegars I mix with Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix packets. Tasty every time - I always have them on hand.

Then when I'm broke, I buy the farm raised salmon! smile
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 04/24/14 09:12 PM
Tonight I had baby greens and spinach with sliced cucumber. I added muffaletta olive salad and olive oil for the dressing. Then, I had cod cakes with my salad. It was a lovely meal.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/14/14 09:34 PM
Had my EAS shake for breakfast, now having a very veggie salad with tomatoes fresh from my garden. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/21/14 05:54 PM
Had my EAS shake for breakfast, now having salad with cheese, olives, Italian dressing and pine nuts.

Did you have a salad today?
Posted By: Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk Re: Salad Time - 05/21/14 06:08 PM
Not yet, but I will for dinner tonight. It will be minimal (nothing fancy), but it will still be a salad.
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 05/21/14 10:24 PM
I didn't have salad today frown

However, I did yesterday - made my own version of a Shrimp and Crab Louie salad which will be one of my recipes this week - then I spoiled it all by making my beer battered fish with curry sauce on the side for dipping.

Sorry, but I was in a fishy craving kind of mood - but hey, everybody loved it. smile
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/27/14 08:07 PM
I'm having my Very Veggie salad mix for lunch with raspberry dressing - tasty! And a low carb beer. I'm still testing those out.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/31/14 07:05 PM
Now having Very Veggie salad blend with cheese, pine nuts, and walnut-raspberry dressing. Forgot the olives smile.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/08/14 08:18 PM
Having a lovely Very Veggie salad blend with extra peapods, olives, cheddar cheese, and ranch. Kayaking was awesome. How 'bout you?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/12/14 04:50 PM
Time for lunch! My very veggie salad blend with raspberry vinaigrette and olives and cheese. Out of pine nuts. Have you had a salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/15/14 12:02 AM
Had a lovely Very Veggie salad - but the new pine nuts tasted a bit off. Do you find you're sensitive to "old" nuts?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 06/15/14 10:25 PM
Yes Lisa!

I find that nuts are at their worst if they have been refrigerated. I run a fast salad bar at work and they have the nuts in the case....I taste products often and the nuts are totally stale tasting refrigerated. FYI
Posted By: Jilly Re: Salad Time - 06/15/14 10:48 PM
I've been really good at adding salad to things lately! For me it's been a matter of 1. not moving every month, 2. finding the right lettuce (artisan field packed lettuce and Marketplace Tri-color coleslaw). Those are so easy to add to whatever I happen to be eating - i make sure to get 2-3 veggies servings most days, by this method. And 3. is having my Daily Chore List, where I get a star for that day if I eat healthily in five categories I wrote out.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/16/14 07:38 PM
Allyson -

We always refrigerate nuts - it helps the oil from going rancid - but they still have to eaten within a week of opening to be fresh. Also, in general one can't taste things that are cold, so in that sense you lose the flavor until it warms up. Sort of like drinking beer ice-cold takes away its flavor, so people tend to do that with cheap beer and cheap wine smile.

So I'm fine with storing them cold to keep rancidity away and also letting them warm up for eating so I can savor the flavors.

But that all being said, these were brand new, had a June 2015 expiration date, and they were rancid when I opened them. I ate some anyway and had stomach issues. They were sourced from China. I've heard from others that many pine nuts coming from China are just bad to begin with. So we won't be buying any from China any more.

Good news though - the store says they'll take them back and give us store credit.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/16/14 07:39 PM
Jilly -

That's great that you found a system that works for you!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/16/14 07:42 PM
I had my EAS protein shake for bfast a few hours ago - now it's time to make my Very Veggie salad. Definitely won't be adding pine nuts smile.

How are you doing today?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 06/16/14 10:58 PM
Lisa,

Thanks for all of the info on the nuts! I've never researched the refrigeration vs. rancidity issue. Good news to note. Thanks again.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/18/14 11:24 PM
Allyson -

I think women are more sensitive to rancidity than men are, for evolutionary keeping-infants-safe reasons. And of course some women are more sensitive than others. So what one person might think smells foul, another might think smells fine.

I seem to be fairly sensitive to it so I try my best to store things as best I can.

Here's an interesting Washington Post article on it -

Nuts and Rancidity
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/18/14 11:25 PM
Today I had my Very Veggie salad blend with cheddar cheese mix, olives, and raspberry vinaigrette. I do miss the pine nuts. Bob is having trouble finding ones not from China. Hmmmm.
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 06/18/14 11:40 PM
Thanks Lisa for the link to the Nut article.

It was very informative and I learned a lot, especially about the cashew nuts and why they're not sold in their shells.

I am forwarding this article to my husband, as he's on this healthy eating kick that has him consuming a variety of nuts, oats, flax seed etc. a couple of times a day. He is prone to junk food and wanted to change. He's lost approx. 10 lb. in the last 6 weeks (he's a BIG guy!) So this info will be great for the storage reasons.

And...I'm going NUTS buying nuts! LOL

By the way, on the salad theme - why are Pine nuts (pignolias) so expensive on the east coast? I remember being able to buy them relatively inexpensive in Cali...but that was 2 years ago since we moved to NY. I love making fresh basil pesto and I hold off and buy it in a jar - which is outrageously priced also.

Thanks
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/25/14 07:34 PM
My morning EAS protein shake was great - now ready for my lunchtime salad. No pine nuts smile. How are you guys doing today? Staying hydrated? Having a salad?

Allyson - I think they're getting expensive everywhere, but we'll have to have someone from CA chime in on that!
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 06/25/14 10:56 PM
Yes, Lisa - a Cali nut professional would be great. The last time I purchased pine nuts in California was 2 years ago before I moved to Brooklyn.

It's very sad frown I love my home made pesto!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/30/14 09:20 PM
Had my morning EAS protein shake, now having my very veggie salad blend for lunch with ranch, cheese, and olives.

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/01/14 07:02 PM
It's too hot to be hungry. I had my morning EAS protein shake but just can't think about even a salad right now. Living on sparkling water. What do you do when it's hot out?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/02/14 07:57 PM
Hot out - had my EAS protein shake for bfast but just not able to consider lunch. How are you guys doing today? Is it hot where you are? Hopefully I'll be in a mood for a salad soon. I can't just "not eat".
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 07/02/14 11:18 PM
Yes Lisa - very hot out!

I'm down the road from you in Brooklyn. Ugg! What a sticky, hot and wet afternoon it turned out to be. However, at 11:20 before work I did eat my salad today.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/11/14 08:25 PM
Having my lunch salad with cheese, olives, pea pods and ranch dressing. Still no non-Chinese pine nuts. Do they even exist any more?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 07/11/14 10:56 PM
Your salad sounds yum Lisa! It's funny, a customer asked me for fresh pea pods today and although we are a gourmet store, we don't have any as of yet.

The NY Greenmarket is at the end of my street by work on Tues, Thurs and Saturday and I'm still not seeing them. I love to buy bags of these and eat them raw. My girls love popping the pods, like I did when I was a youngster.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/23/14 09:22 PM
My day began with my EAS protein shake, now I'm about to make a salad. Aiming to stay under 135 now that I'm here again smile.

Bob brought me some fresh pine nuts - yes, from China - so I'll risk trying them again. Maybe this batch is better.

Did you guys have your salad today?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 07/23/14 10:43 PM
If you like olives, muffaletta scooped onto a salad is divine!
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 07/23/14 10:48 PM
Mmmm, I have both in the house. Thanks for my lunch tomorrow Connie!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/26/14 12:25 AM
Lunchtime - having a salad with cheese, olives, pine nuts and ranch. Plus a low carb beer. Have to clear out the excess beer now smile

Did you have a salad today?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 07/26/14 12:35 AM
I did!

A lovely 2 egg, salmon, beet and cucumber one with romaine lettuce! And get this..no dressing...just salt and pepper. I was proud of myself!

It felt refreshing with no dressing!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/02/14 08:03 PM
Enjoying a Very Veggie salad while I work on book 3 of my Salem Massachusetts mini-mysteries. Have you had a salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/06/14 07:05 PM
I had my chocolate EAS protein shake for breakfast and am now having a salad with ham and egg for lunch. How are you guys doing? #lowcarb
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/07/14 09:06 PM
Had my EAS chocolate protein shake for breakfast and am now having a very veggie salad with ranch. How are you guys doing?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/23/14 08:17 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast; now having a very veggie salad with cheese. The ranch dressing was double sealed. Overkill?

Did you have your salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/20/14 08:11 PM
Very Veggie salad with cheese, olives, ranch dressing, and a few raisins for lunch. Tasty. Looking forward to eggplant for dinner.

What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/25/14 07:08 PM
Enjoying my lunch - a Very Veggie salad with shredded cheese, olives, raisins, and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing. What are you having?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/02/15 01:28 PM
Enjoying a lovely Very Veggie salad with cheese, olives, and ranch dressing. Delicious! What's for lunch over in your area? #lowcarb
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 01/02/15 09:56 PM
Got a late start today. For my late dinner I am enjoying olives, cukes, and tomatoes w/balsamic vinegar.

Yum!
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 01/04/15 10:54 PM
No salad tonight; olives & carrots.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 01/04/15 11:33 PM
I like a good chopped salad with lettuce, tomato, peppers, onion, and muffaletta olive salad stirred in.
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 01/26/15 01:31 AM
Asian coleslaw.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/26/15 10:07 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast and now having a delicious salad. Waiting for the blizzard to strike smile.

How are you doing? What was your salad today?
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 01/27/15 12:19 AM
No salad tonight. Instead I made a pot of southern style greens (more like soup) and hot water cornbread. Yum!

Carrots, olives, and celery as a snack.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/08/15 07:51 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, now having very veggie salad with ranch, cheese, and a few raisins. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/10/15 09:44 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, now having a very veggie salad with cheese, raisins, and ranch for lunch. Just right. The snow is up over the back porch now smile. How are you doing?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 02/11/15 12:13 AM
Had my favorite romaine lettuce with fresh beets, cucumbers, salmon and red onion with just enough Russian dressing to coat lightly.

You would be proud of me. I've lost 8 pounds in 6 weeks by cutting out or cutting down on the carbs Lisa. I don't eat the bread (which is hard for me as I slather butter on it dearly.) lol.. and reduced my intake to smaller portions of pasta, rice etc.

Only 8 or 9 more pounds to go. I actually bought smaller jeans last weekend and people are noticing at work. WooHoo...here comes skinny me again! lol
Posted By: Yvonnie-Inspired Re: Salad Time - 02/12/15 12:46 AM
I'm enjoying my kale w/pesto & shaved brussel sprouts salad. So yummy! Made it yesterday & added raw cheese to the leftovers today.

Best!!!!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/21/15 07:19 PM
Had my morning EAS shake, then salmon and salad for lunch. Pondering dinner.

How are you guys doing today? Did you have a salad?
Posted By: Alice - Weight Loss Re: Salad Time - 04/22/15 06:56 AM
I did not have a salad, but with the change of seasons, I do tend to eat more salads. I love kale, spinach and arugula greens. Pair them with fruit for an eye-appealing, tasty and healthy meal.
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 04/22/15 06:53 PM
I didn't either - well, not in a bowl.

Instead I had a small salad sandwich on whole wheat bread, with arugula, cucumber, red onions and roasted red peppers with a squirt of spicy honey mustard dressing. Totally satisfied me and I felt great about it.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/03/15 05:17 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast and now having a tasty salad with ranch.

How are you doing today? Got any weekend plans?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/04/15 09:22 PM
Having a lovely salad with slivered almonds, peapods and raspberry walnut dressing. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/09/15 11:40 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast and then a lovely salad with peapods for lunch. How are you guys doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/22/15 09:54 PM
Having a salad with raspberry vinaigrette - still "healing" from the Pad Thai overdose last night. Feeling a bit better. How are you guys doing today?
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 10/23/15 12:11 PM
Oh Lisa, you poor thing - hope you feel a big better today. My husband is having the same experience only from sherbert of all things..lol
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/23/15 08:54 PM
Enjoying a garden salad with carrots, pea pods, and Italian dressing. Salads can be delicious! How are you doing today?

Yes, I'm finally recovering from the Pad Tai incident. Wow, that was awful! My joints ached. I wonder if people who eat that way daily have achey joints and don't even realize it's the food they're eating which is causing it!!
Posted By: Ally-Home/Hols/USA Cook Re: Salad Time - 10/24/15 12:01 AM
Glad you're feeling better Lisa. You know, when we were in New York, my husband was always feeling sick, bad, achey and so on. I sent him to work one night with some food, something I just threw together and used a Goya product for the sauce. My husband read the label and the first ingredient was MSG!

We researched a little bit on this and found out that all of these symptom he had were from the things he had been eating at work. I think some people do think that there body is just "normal" and every day aches. It was very interesting to research and it got deeper and deeper...lol...I could go on but I would be here all night.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 12/22/15 04:30 PM
Enjoying broccoli and cheese for lunch while I finalize my Xmas cards. Warm and tasty. What are you guys having today?
Salads are hard for me to eat during the winter. I will probably have veggies, rice, and shrimp for dinner. I had yogurt/nuts/fruit for breakfast and a turkey burger with guac, mushrooms, and bacon for lunch.
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 12/23/15 02:31 AM
I love a chopped salad with almost anything!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/03/16 02:35 AM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, now I'm enjoying a salad for lunch. Did you have your salad today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/04/16 10:05 PM
Had a protein shake for breakfast; now salad for lunch with cooled tea.

Have you had your salad yet today? What do you drink during that meal?

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/09/16 12:15 AM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, now having salad with raspberry vinaigrette.

How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/09/16 11:58 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, now having a tunafish salad. Tasty. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 03/10/16 08:27 PM
Had my morning EAS protein shake, now having a tasty salad w/ cheese olives carrots. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/05/16 12:46 AM
Finally! I haven't had salads for lunch for a while since I've been sick. I'm having one today and it's so tasty! Do you eat salads?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 05/25/16 07:11 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, now having a delicious salad with cukes. Just right. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/02/16 08:28 PM
We're out of salad. Sad. Having an Oikos Greek yogurt while finishing up writing diner mystery book #6. How are you guys doing tonight?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/04/16 07:36 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, now having a fresh salad with peapods. How are you guys doing today?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 07/04/16 08:11 PM
Glad you are finishing book 6. I am ready for it!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/04/16 08:20 PM
Diner Book 6 is live!

https://www.amazon.com/Six-Little-Diners-Massachusetts-Mysteries-ebook/dp/B01HY4O3BG/
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/05/16 06:20 PM
I'm having a delicious fresh salad for lunch with tomatoes, carrots, olives, and pepper. I love late summer! I think we have more tomatoes than we could possibly eat smile. How are you doing?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/14/16 07:07 PM
Had my EAS shake for breakfast and salad for lunch. Thinking about dinner. Did you guys have a salad yet today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 09/26/16 04:51 PM
I'm having a small salad with a low carb sandwich for lunch - what are you guys eating today? Anything tasty?

I've got rotisserie chicken with brussels sprouts ready for dinner.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/26/16 05:22 PM
I had my EAS protein shake for breakfast, and I'm now having a salad. Every thing we eat is a choice. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 10/30/16 04:54 PM
Enjoying a tasty salad plus cottage cheese. Some almonds add a nice crunch! What are you eating today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/30/16 01:32 AM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast and a tasty salad for lunch. Did you guys have a salad today? What kind?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 11/30/16 08:37 PM
Had my EAS protein shake for breakfast; now having tasty salad with peapods olives almonds egg & more. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 12/20/16 08:01 PM
We had a wonderful Chef's Salad the other day. It had lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, onions, cauliflower, egg, ham, jalapenos, and Thousand Island Dressing. That dressing is so easy to make at home. It takes 10 minutes, including getting everything out, peeling the egg, making the dressing, and putting everything up! Homemade is so much tastier than any bottled Thousand Island.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/15/17 09:13 PM
EAS protein shake for breakfast, lunch is a delicious salad with raspberry-pomegranate dressing. How are you doing today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/19/17 07:44 PM
I had my EAS protein shake for breakfast and now a salad with pine nuts for lunch. Tasty! What are you eating today?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 01/20/17 08:50 PM
Tonight, we are having baked salmon, roasted sweet potatoes, and seasoned fresh green beans.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 04/03/17 08:47 PM
I'm enjoying a salad with cottage cheese. If I have a salad on an empty stomach I turn into a beach ball - does that happen to you?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/09/17 08:42 PM
I had a Very Veggie salad today which claimed to have pea pods in it. Not a one!! I had to add my own peapods! Is that fair? How are you doing today?
Posted By: Connie - ADD/Sandwiches/Reading Re: Salad Time - 06/10/17 10:27 AM
Doing ok, Lisa, all things considered. Have you tried my kale salad recipe from the Sandwiches Site? So good, and it improves over time.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/10/17 09:43 PM
I'm eating a VeryVeggie salad which claims to have pea pods in it. Any guess how many I found? What are you eating today?

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/13/17 05:59 PM
OK I have given up on a Very Veggie salad today. I am simply eating peapods with hummus. This way I get plenty of pea pods! What are you eating?

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 06/19/17 09:04 PM
Enjoying a salad with added pea pods along with cottage cheese. The cottage cheese helps stave off bloating.

What are you eating today?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 02/03/18 12:52 AM
Enjoying a nice green salad with tomatoes and snap peas. Love the flavors of fresh food. What are you guys eating? Anything tasty?

Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 07/27/18 01:52 AM
I had the cutest salad today, with tomatoes and mozzarella and basil. I'll post the recipe shortly!

What salad did you have?
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 08/10/18 02:32 AM
I had a delicious cucumber salad with soy sauce dressing and ginger. Having a salad every day gives you energy and helps you to sleep better at night!
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/25/21 02:09 AM
I'm still having my salad for lunch every day. Sometimes there is egg on top, sometimes blueberries, but there are always romaine lettuce, olives, cheese, and salad dressing as the basics. Sometimes I'll have cottage cheese on the side.
Posted By: Angie Re: Salad Time - 01/25/21 01:49 PM
I'm more of a peanut butter and jelly type person, but cream cheese on some days works as does chicken salad.
Posted By: Lisa LowCarb Re: Salad Time - 01/29/21 01:14 AM
Chicken salad is a great low carb option! Lean protein with healthy veggies! :)
© BellaOnline Forums