BellaOnline
Posted By: Kelly76 Need fresh girl name ideas... - 09/20/07 04:44 PM
We're expecting our second child in March and are stumped for a girl's name. We're not finding out the gender this time. We have our boy's name picked out...Deacon Joseph. Our first son's name is Sawyer David. I don't like unisex names or ones that are overly popular/trendy. I tend to like older, very feminine girl names. Just a few on our list are: Eliza, Lydia, Stella, Lilia. Ava was also on our list, but is becoming too popular in my opinion. I want to use Jane as the MN, b/c that was my mom's name. Any new suggestions?
Posted By: Lisa_Orlando Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 09/20/07 05:12 PM
I named my daughter Diane Elisabeth Shannon (yes two middle names, just like me). I wanted a name that she would not run into, so far there hasn't been ONE Diane in her school but I also wanted a name people had heard of.

We have of course run into adults with this name but no children.

Lisa isn't my real name, my real name is imposible to spell and something my Mother got from a Movie, I have always HATED having a "unique" name, one no one could spell.

I love names that speak of our heritage so I also added Shannon because my daughter and I are Irish extraction.

If I ever had another daughter, I wanted to name her Katherine, there are so many ways to shorten that name and so much history attached to it, although I probably would have gone with Catherine instead. I always liked how they would call people with that name Cat for short.

I also love the name Fiona and Felicity. When I was naming a new cat recently, I found some realy cool websites with baby names on them, you can choose to look up names with an Irish background or whatever your background is.
Posted By: Jeanette - Editor Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 09/20/07 05:32 PM
Well my name is very old fashioned. I was named after my great grandmother who's full name was Matrona Jeanette, her sisters called her Mattie. My grandmother had a sister named Antalee. I so wanted to name my daughter that but I got voted out lol my daughter is Aubrey Leno (pronounced Leeno) Michele. I found out after she was born that Aubrey is actually a Gaelic boys name. I loved the name Isabelle or Isabella when I was pregnant. For awhile we were going to name her Isabelle Evangaline, sounded old fashioned. I like the name Trinity for some reason too. Keep us posted!
I love the name Tabitha - not sure how well it goes with Jane or your last name though. I also like the name Destiny.
Feminine and old-fashioned? How about...

Adela/Adelina
Arabella
Audra/Audria
Aurelia
Aurora
Carmella
Claudette/Claudine
Colette
Cordelia
Delia
Dorothea
Estelle
Felice/Felicia (piggybacking on Lisa's suggestion of Felicity)
Iona/Ione
Magnolia ("Maggie" for short)
Nicola
Odessa
Odette
Oriana
Rosalia/Rosaline
Sonja
Suzette
Tessa
Yvette/Ivette

I'm not sure if all of these are on the right track, though -- the example names you gave seem a bit more streamlined.

Could you give us some more of the names already on your list? That might help us come up with suggestions that are more tailored to your taste.
Posted By: Terrence Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 09/22/07 08:50 PM
I always liked Elizabeth. This way, you can call her Liz, Lizzy, Beth, LizBeth...

I like Megan too.
Posted By: Kelly76 Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 09/24/07 04:56 PM
Eliza (my fave at this point), Lydia, Stella, Lilia

Let's see, there was Ava, Emma (both becoming a bit too popular here), Lilly, Charlotte, Fiona and Evangeline (probably my fave, but I don't like the hard G sounds in both Evangeline and Jane).

Thanks for your help!
How about:

Ada
Amelia/Amelie
Beatrice
Clara/Claire
Daisy
Dora
Dorothy
Eva/Evie
Flora
Helen/Helene
Holly
Ida
Ivy
Lenora
Lila
Louisa
Molly
Natalie
Nellie
Nora
Phoebe
Violet

(Edited to take out "Lorraine," which would actually not pair so well with "Jane," now that I'm thinking about it...)
Posted By: Kelly76 Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 09/25/07 12:32 AM
Wow, thanks! I really like quite a few of those, especially Amelia, Eva, Helene or Helena, and Lenora or Lenore. Lilah was also on our list, but a friend just used it for their little girl. I really liked the name Delilah, but dh wouldn't go for it b/c of the biblical connotation. Helen was actually the name of an aunt that I lived with for awhile after my mom passed away, so I thought about using that as well. I just don't want other family members to get mad, not sure why I should care though. LOL!
Posted By: HappyandLucky Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 09/25/07 12:55 AM
Hi,
Congratulations on expecting your second child. You must be so excited.
What do you think about the name Felicity? It's definitely an older name, and many people tend to think of it as a feminine name. What I love so very much about the name is the beautiful meaning. Felicity means both Happiness and
Source of Happiness.
So, how does Felicity Jane sound to you?
Posted By: Maxwell Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 09/25/07 04:20 AM
Claudia Jane
Hilary Jane
Millicent (Millie) Jane
Eleanor Jane (Ellie, Elle)
Lila Jane (my grandmothers name!)
Esther Jane (my other grandmothers name!)
Caroline Jane
Gabriella Jane
Francesca Jane
Louisa Jane
I have two daughters. Rebecca Lynn and a three year old named Elizabeth Nicole. I call her Lil Bit.

Posted By: Stellamomma Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 10/08/07 04:28 AM
These are great
Eliza, Lydia, Stella

I'm new my names melissa, i don't know anybodies style yet but i'll give it a shot.

I'm kinda partial to Stella

my twins Stella & Norah are 3 months

what about
Amelia Jane
Beatrice Jane
Caroline Jane
Cadence Jane
Corinne Jane
Delia Jane
Eleanore Jane
Jolee Jane
Leah Jane
Melody Jane
Nina Jane
Olivia Jane
Ruby Jane
Sadie Jane
Zoe Jane
Julia Jane
Natalie Jane
Charlotte Jane
Callista Jane
Lucy Jane
Posted By: MissKitty.45acp Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 10/08/07 04:57 AM
My favorite girls names are Camillia, Afton, and Gillian/ Jillian(that doesn't work too well with Jane tho. smile )

Good Luck!!!!
Posted By: iwonder Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 10/08/07 06:02 AM
Sawyer and Deacon are nice names. I think I like "Clara Jane" it just sounds good together. And reminds me of the same era. Congratulations!
My name's Susan Helene - named for both grandmothers.

One of my daughters is Marjorie Jane - the Jane is for my mother.
Posted By: Sabrina2007 Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 10/23/07 01:06 AM
Here are some Italian names:
BIANCA
MIA
Isabella
Posted By: jeannie117 Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 10/29/07 04:33 PM
Clara is a beautiful name, I think.

I also like Victoria, Amanda, Samantha, Florence, Christina/Christine, Francesca, Dorothy, Fiona, Lily, Hannah, Margaret, Theresa/Therese, Esmeralda, Agatha and Belinda.

Have you chosen a name already?
Posted By: Jiali Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 10/29/07 08:34 PM
I like Amethyst Rose. We were going to name our baby this if he was a girl, but he's a boy and we're naming him Abel Zachary.
Posted By: whitnie89 Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 11/01/07 08:51 PM
well I am one to want unique names and I am expecting a girl in days and I chose the name Lilyana Grace (lily-on-ah), but before I chose I thought of the names Morgan Leann, samyah Reann(sah-my-ah)(ray-ann), Lilian Kennedy, Madison Kennedy, Miley Jo, or Miley Ann, Rihanna jaide and my mom chose Marilyn kennedy. so hopefully you can figure out a name that suits your family.

good luck! I know I needed it I am due anyday and I just now figured out the name!
Posted By: javamsanii Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 11/14/07 12:54 AM
I adore the name Stella, but I live in the UK and there is a problem with this name here. Stella is the name of a Belgian beer, namely Stella Artois. In England, it is also called "wife beater" because it's relatively cheap and has a high alcohol content for a beer. It's a name I always liked, but my husband is British and the poor kid would be the butt of every joke. *Sigh* Oh well.
Posted By: Carleen Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 11/14/07 03:31 PM
I can certainly understand your concern!!!

If Stella goes well with your last name, how about considering Bella, instead. Being called "beautiful" is a good thing!

Posted By: parrot20 Re: Need fresh girl name ideas... - 12/11/07 09:38 AM
some really nice names here

i like this site for names

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
© BellaOnline Forums