BellaOnline
Over 3 years ago, my very first post on the forum was about this memorable night. It's a story I've shared numerous times and with each recount, it is sustained in my heart.

Every Pow-Wow and Gathering has special moments for those who attend. Please share some of your funny, strange, and touching moments with us.

My First Pow-Wow
Here's one to get us started.

Before we got our camper we would attend the Pow-Wow on Friday evening and then return for a full day on Saturday. We weren't there at 2am to be awakened by the screams. One of the traders, a big, burly guy, made a late night visit to the bathhouse. Half asleep, he didn't notice the bright green tree frog on the plumbing fixture. However, the little frog certainly took note of him and an interesting new perch to jump to.

Being "attacked" by a frog in the middle of the night is not a quiet event and the entire camp was jolted from their dreams. When we arrived the next day, "Wanted" flyers were already posted. They included a photo to assist in identifying the assailant and offered a reward.

Jane, such a wonderful article about your first Pow-Wow. Thank you so much for sharing that experience. Your little girl must have been so mesmerized.

That is such a funny story about the frog! I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard. That poor man must have been so frightened. Thanks for starting my day with a good laugh, Jane.

My first Pow-Wow was the one I will never forget. I was working at a college up in Skagit County, Washington. The Pacific Northwest Indian populations are comprised of so many different tribes and their arts, totem poles, regalia are striking with bold colors and impressive creativity.

I had volunteered to help wherever I was needed. I was put in charge of directing the incoming vendors where to park their vehicles. It seemed like I was out there forever directing the new comers -- but, I met some lovely people who all encouraged me to come by their booths for samples of the foods.

When it was time for the ceremonies to start in the huge gymnasium, the Pow-Wow organizer (a good friend of mine) came out and took me inside. She was a member of the Swinomish tribe, tall, noble, and beautiful. Her regalia and long black hair adorned with feathers and beads so impressed me -- I had never before seen her in her tribal manner of dress. She took me to a seat where I could see everything that would happen.

When the moment the Grand Entry began until the first break, I was mesmerized and felt like I was in another time and place. The voices of the drums spoke to me and to this day my heart still beats in tune with them.

When it was time for all the dancers and the drum to take a break, I just sat there. My friend came over with a smile on her face and said, "You can move now."

I had no idea the Pow-Wow would be that powerful and impressive. It left a lasting impression of beauty on me and a deep sense of pride for our tribes of the PNW.

I suddenly realized I had not eaten all day and went out to find some fry bread and pinto beans to enjoy.
"You can move now" I can certainly relate to that.

It had been cloudy all day, dark, heavy clouds. It was so humid you could almost "drink" the air. Sunset went unseen as Grand Entry began. With all the dancers around the Circle, an Elder made his way slowly to the drum arbor for the opening prayer. He was handed the microphone and stated he would be praying in Cherokee. As he began to speak, the clouds parted and he was encompassed with the light of a full moon.

Standing beside me, my husband was quite unsuccessful in his attempt to whisper, and everyone around us heard "Did you SEE THAT!"
How impressive that was, with the opening prayer. Creator certainly was listening to your Elder.

Your husband was pretty impressed to I gather. I can so imagine that moment in my mind.
Posted By: .... Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow - 05/24/11 02:14 AM
I love it! Just wonderful! Such a great story!
Powwows.com has some great video clips from this year's Gathering of Nations.

The Aztec Dancers are a special treat. Many years ago we were able to attend one afternoon of the Mohegan Corn Festival in Uncasville, CT. We certainly picked the best time to arrive and were privileged to watch a group of Aztec Dancers in the Circle. The dancers are accompanied by both drum and flute, so turn up the speakers.

If you have any idea how they got their regalia to the Gathering, please clue me in. Some of the headdresses wouldn't fit in my car and I can't image walking up to the counter at the airport to have them checked as baggage!

Aztec Dancers - Powwows.com
Here's a clip of the Grass Dancers. Watch the footwork. If this was in a field, the grass would be tamped down and ready for the other dancers quite quickly.

These guys have stamina. The regalia with thick yarn is very heavy.

Grass Dancers - Powwows.com
And now for the Ladies, a clip of the Jingle Dress. Each one of those cones is placed precisely for maximum sound and motion. I wish they had a microphone in their midst. It would probably have sounded like a million wind chimes.

Jingle Dress - Powwows.com

This is one of numerous dance video clips you can enjoy on Powwows.com.
Posted By: vhawk Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow - 05/25/11 01:56 PM
love the frog and the trader story..:)) I have been attending pow-wows for some time..but this is the first yr I ''participated.'' My 2 daughters and I were asked to do basket-making demo over the weekend, along with the wonderful lady who has been teaching us this past yr. We had a great weekend..and also, our booth was set up facing the dancers,, so we had a great view of all the activities.
Posted By: .... Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow - 05/25/11 05:19 PM
Oh Jane!
I don't even know where to start! The Aztec headdresses-- so eloquent and alive with movement and grace! I choked up watching it!

Wow the Grass Dancers! Those costumes aren't light and the footwork isn't perfected overnight! The Roaches look amazing! The strength of each drumbeat matching like a song in the heart!

The Jingle dresses--the bearing, dignity and beauty! ki tate olowa
I am so glad you enjoyed the video clips. There's bunches of them for anyone interested and each are just a few minutes long.

I'm also glad you mentioned "roaches," the head pieces, not the bugs. I had forgotten about this story.

We were at a Thanksgiving weekend Pow-wow and the weather was nasty, cold and drizzley. The Dance Circle was set up with hay bales inside one of the buildings at the fairgrounds. And there were more haybales for seating. The building was packed shoulder to shoulder with spectators. My daughter was about 7 and standing on a haybale right in front of me. Even with our heads next to each other, we still had to talk loudly.

Two older ladies were standing next to us when I said to my daughter, "Look at that beautiful roach." The ladies went hysterical and started stomping and squealing.

It took us several minutes to convince them we were not talking about bugs and hadn't seen any.
Posted By: Teboe Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow - 05/25/11 06:25 PM
So many wonderful stories shared, good laughs and truth from the center where the drums and heart meet. My first pow wow was memorable because I had always wanted to go to one. To attend with a tribal member (who later became my husband) was a dream come true. He explained so much to me, as did a nephew who also saw that I was "drinking in" everything I saw. But my most memorable pow wow was on our honeymoon when we went to a Memorial Day pow wow. My heart cried for 4 days...I was so ashamed to be white!! I knew how the weekend would be spent by most of my friends and family and here were all these wonderful new friends honoring their ancestors,ancient and recent, who gave their lives for this nation that has treated them so poorly.I was so humbled by the pride in the acts of bravery by service men and women. Today I am much more comfortable with my husband's family and friends than with many of the white people I know. Who knows, perhaps I am not all white!
WADO Teboe, what a beautiful story, and at the most perfect time!

Can you tell us who your husband's (yours too) People are? Will you be attending a Pow-Wow this weekend?

Posted By: Teboe Re: New Article - My First Pow-Wow - 05/25/11 06:46 PM
My husband is Winnebago of Nebraska. The Memorial Day pow wow we attended was in Black River Falls, WI, with the Ho-Chunk nation (also Winnebagos). On Memorial day at Black River Falls, it looks like 300 (at least) flags are flying on the hill. Many have photos by the flag pole, baskets of cigarettes and lighters for prayers and one can just walk through and reflect on and pray for these wonderful people. One photo stands out in my mind...a warrior in full war bonnet, sepia tones with a touch of color added...most likely WW-I vintage. I stood looking at it with tears streaming down my face. Husband now understands that his people are my people. I am not certain if we will make a pow wow this weekend or not. We live in SE Iowa and have many small ones near us. A lot will depend on the weather. It's been very wet (1.5" of rain in the wee hours today). My shawls are ready and I'll be dancing every inter-tribal dance if we get to one.
I hope there is a break in the weather this weekend and you get to dance. The way we honor our warrior veterans always fills my heart, and I can't make it through the National Anthem or the Verterans Song without tears. It's a strange mix of pride and sorrow.

Thank you so much for reminding all of us what this weekend is really about. There are so many who gave their lives for us to live. Each should be remembered. Those of us who can't make it to Black River Falls can still participate.

Proudly fly your flag this weekend to honor all our veterans.
Welcome Vhawk and thanks for joining us! Love to see some photos of your baskets. A friend of mine has started making baskets and I'm hoping for a few lessons this summer.

Do your girls dance at the Pow-wows?
© BellaOnline Forums