Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Over 3 years ago, my very first post on the forum was about this memorable night. It's a story I've shared numerous times and with each recount, it is sustained in my heart.

Every Pow-Wow and Gathering has special moments for those who attend. Please share some of your funny, strange, and touching moments with us.

My First Pow-Wow

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/23/11 10:32 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here's one to get us started.

Before we got our camper we would attend the Pow-Wow on Friday evening and then return for a full day on Saturday. We weren't there at 2am to be awakened by the screams. One of the traders, a big, burly guy, made a late night visit to the bathhouse. Half asleep, he didn't notice the bright green tree frog on the plumbing fixture. However, the little frog certainly took note of him and an interesting new perch to jump to.

Being "attacked" by a frog in the middle of the night is not a quiet event and the entire camp was jolted from their dreams. When we arrived the next day, "Wanted" flyers were already posted. They included a photo to assist in identifying the assailant and offered a reward.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/23/11 10:34 AM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Jane, such a wonderful article about your first Pow-Wow. Thank you so much for sharing that experience. Your little girl must have been so mesmerized.

That is such a funny story about the frog! I almost fell off my chair laughing so hard. That poor man must have been so frightened. Thanks for starting my day with a good laugh, Jane.

My first Pow-Wow was the one I will never forget. I was working at a college up in Skagit County, Washington. The Pacific Northwest Indian populations are comprised of so many different tribes and their arts, totem poles, regalia are striking with bold colors and impressive creativity.

I had volunteered to help wherever I was needed. I was put in charge of directing the incoming vendors where to park their vehicles. It seemed like I was out there forever directing the new comers -- but, I met some lovely people who all encouraged me to come by their booths for samples of the foods.

When it was time for the ceremonies to start in the huge gymnasium, the Pow-Wow organizer (a good friend of mine) came out and took me inside. She was a member of the Swinomish tribe, tall, noble, and beautiful. Her regalia and long black hair adorned with feathers and beads so impressed me -- I had never before seen her in her tribal manner of dress. She took me to a seat where I could see everything that would happen.

When the moment the Grand Entry began until the first break, I was mesmerized and felt like I was in another time and place. The voices of the drums spoke to me and to this day my heart still beats in tune with them.

When it was time for all the dancers and the drum to take a break, I just sat there. My friend came over with a smile on her face and said, "You can move now."

I had no idea the Pow-Wow would be that powerful and impressive. It left a lasting impression of beauty on me and a deep sense of pride for our tribes of the PNW.

I suddenly realized I had not eaten all day and went out to find some fry bread and pinto beans to enjoy.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 05/23/11 12:01 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
"You can move now" I can certainly relate to that.

It had been cloudy all day, dark, heavy clouds. It was so humid you could almost "drink" the air. Sunset went unseen as Grand Entry began. With all the dancers around the Circle, an Elder made his way slowly to the drum arbor for the opening prayer. He was handed the microphone and stated he would be praying in Cherokee. As he began to speak, the clouds parted and he was encompassed with the light of a full moon.

Standing beside me, my husband was quite unsuccessful in his attempt to whisper, and everyone around us heard "Did you SEE THAT!"

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/23/11 09:23 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
How impressive that was, with the opening prayer. Creator certainly was listening to your Elder.

Your husband was pretty impressed to I gather. I can so imagine that moment in my mind.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Shark
Shark
I love it! Just wonderful! Such a great story!

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Powwows.com has some great video clips from this year's Gathering of Nations.

The Aztec Dancers are a special treat. Many years ago we were able to attend one afternoon of the Mohegan Corn Festival in Uncasville, CT. We certainly picked the best time to arrive and were privileged to watch a group of Aztec Dancers in the Circle. The dancers are accompanied by both drum and flute, so turn up the speakers.

If you have any idea how they got their regalia to the Gathering, please clue me in. Some of the headdresses wouldn't fit in my car and I can't image walking up to the counter at the airport to have them checked as baggage!

Aztec Dancers - Powwows.com

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Here's a clip of the Grass Dancers. Watch the footwork. If this was in a field, the grass would be tamped down and ready for the other dancers quite quickly.

These guys have stamina. The regalia with thick yarn is very heavy.

Grass Dancers - Powwows.com

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
And now for the Ladies, a clip of the Jingle Dress. Each one of those cones is placed precisely for maximum sound and motion. I wish they had a microphone in their midst. It would probably have sounded like a million wind chimes.

Jingle Dress - Powwows.com

This is one of numerous dance video clips you can enjoy on Powwows.com.

Last edited by Jane - Native American; 05/24/11 11:46 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
V
V
love the frog and the trader story..:)) I have been attending pow-wows for some time..but this is the first yr I ''participated.'' My 2 daughters and I were asked to do basket-making demo over the weekend, along with the wonderful lady who has been teaching us this past yr. We had a great weekend..and also, our booth was set up facing the dancers,, so we had a great view of all the activities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.