Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
How would you suggest quilters use up their older patchwork fabrics? How can you use them in current modern quilts?

Do you think they have a use by date?

Join the conversation.
Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham
Editor Australia & Quilting Sites

www.bellaonline.com/site/australia
www.bellaonline.com/site/quilting
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
BellaOnline Editor
Stone Age Human
Judie, I like this question - I use scraps of material from dresses made years ago to make doll and baby quilts. I wash the fabric several times to soften it and shrink to the max before I begin. I think soft or worn fabric feels best to a baby ... me, too.

D
D
Back in the late 70's (that's 1970s) a friend gave me a huge bag of scrap materials. I was drawn particularly to two fabrics, a pink and a green, that were kind of ethereal in looks. I used these fabrics extensively in a grandmother's fan quilt done entirely by hand. The quilt was for a double bed and was used extensively over the years. After about 10 years of hard use those ehtereal looking fabrics that I loved were gone, totally shredded. I give you this warning - be careful of old fabrics.
I still have the quilt and I intend to repair it someday.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
You can make snugglies for dogs and cats at the shelter/rescues. These range in size from 12x12 to 24x36, and you can experiment with patterns because these animals are not picky about color and stitchwork, LOL. Check with you local humane society for sizes they need...and go to town!

Cheryll Schuette
Bahá'í Site
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Hi Cheryll, I love that idea. Animals need comforting too. I've heard of a good idea - when you have scraps of fabric that simply are too small or not suitable for using - get an old pillowcase and fill it to 3/4 full with the scraps. Sew up the opening and voila - you have a pet bed for a refuge to use.

I like the story from desertquiltlady - it is sad that fabrics disintergrate - but that's how things are. We can't expect things to remain new for ever - just gives us more reason to make another quilt!!

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

G
G
Making cushions for the animal shelters from scraps is a great idea. I did this several years ago. The shelter loved the idea but found that the fabric shifted into one big glob when the cushions were laundered. My suggestion is to do some straight stitching both lengthwise and crosswise to secure the fabric in place.

Galloping Butterfly
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
Great idea Gallopping Butterfly, I'll pass that onto the rescue shelters that I know use this idea.

Cheerio for now

Judie Bellingham

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
When my babies were small I used to sew a lot! I'm a pack rat with my sewing fabric. It always seemed too nice to give away..so I used to make little double-sided patchwork baby bibs, edged with a little delicate lace.

We used to call them the "Sunday bibs" or "going out somewhere bibs".. smile Although they were made from scraps of fabric, they looked fancy! Different from the store-made ones. Took no time to make.

Moderated by  Judie Quilting Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.