Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
bertinglebra, ostabest, spoodle22, KaylaWa, Marie Stroman
57465 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57466 Members
417 Forums
113614 Topics
806791 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 417
Nancy Roussy 219
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 99
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 64
Jana - Creativity Editor 60
Mona - Astronomy 59
Beetlemess 49
Sandra Investing/HFinance 48
Susan - Meditation Editor 37
mary-tea1 17
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#147127 - 08/12/04 03:46 PM Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters
kuvasz Offline

Hi. My girls, ages 16 and 18, have attended several meetings of the local spinning and weaving guild and really want to get into spinning.

They want an Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel, but are considering getting it off of ebay - from New Zealand, btw, and we live in PA.

Is this a good machine to start with, and where can we get a good deal on one? New ones seem to begin at $320 (unfinished) and the "pre-loved" ones on ebay are around $200 plus shipping.

I was hoping to get a new one online somewhere for around $200, but that may be impossible.

Thanks for your help in advance.

- Don

Add Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Twitter Add Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Facebook Add Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to MySpace Add Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Del.icio.us Digg Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters Add Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Yahoo My Web Add Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Google Bookmarks Add Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Stumbleupon Add Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Reddit
#147128 - 09/09/04 04:18 PM Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters
Laun-spinning editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish

Loc: Coal Township, PA
Sorry for the long delay in replying, and I certainly hope you have found a source for a new wheel. Yes, this would be a great choice to beging with, and to keep! I learned on an Ashford, and many people adore their Ashford wheels and never choose anything else.

Here is a site that frequently offers used equipment. Maybe if you still need a wheel, it will help!

http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbspin.html

Thanks,
Cara

Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Twitter Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Facebook Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to MySpace Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Stumbleupon Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Reddit
#796920 - 12/19/12 08:09 PM Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters [Re: kuvasz]
nevinlee Offline

Yes, even I have seen many people adoring their Ashford wheels, they usually don't prefer any other over it. I hope you find a good deal soon, do share it here when you find one.

Edited by nevinlee (12/19/12 08:11 PM)

Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Twitter Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Facebook Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to MySpace Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Stumbleupon Add Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters to Reddit
#861756 - 04/14/14 11:20 PM Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters [Re: kuvasz]
AKLisa- Knitting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
I have an Ashford Traditional, and love it. It is simple to use, and it is relatively common, so it is easy to get replacement parts.
i hope the OP has found one - it took me forever to find a used wheel I could afford!

#861828 - 04/15/14 02:56 PM Re: Ashford Traditional Spinning Wheel for daughters [Re: kuvasz]
ancientflaxman Offline
Parakeet

Loc: in the middle of Minnesota
Yes, the Ashford is a very good wheel for beginners as well as seasoned spinners. My Grandmother was a spinner. They were poor farm people on a Wisconsin farm many years ago and she did not spin for fun or enjoyment as we do today. She had to make my dads, aunts, and uncles stockings, sweaters, scarfs, and wool blankets as there was no money to go to the store and purchase such things.When I was young I had a feeling that when she died that the art would be lost so I learned it. I have many antique wheels. Have sold quite a few on the net and have for many years taught classroom spinning with both flax and wool.
The Ashford is very good at spinning both fibers but with the flax you will need a separate distaff if spinning long line strick flax. It is a very enjoyable and ancient art !! Hope it is alright if I put in my 2 cents worth, dave

Edited by ancientflaxman (04/15/14 03:03 PM)

Moderator:  Laun-spinning editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Why DON'T you have tattoos?
by Nancy Roussy
Body Art
29 minutes 21 seconds ago
Saturn's Moon Rhea discovered Dec 23, 1672
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:31 PM
You could help name a crater on Mercury
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:11 PM
Blank Canvas
by Nancy Roussy
Body Art
Today at 08:38 AM
Ear Piercing and Children
by Nancy Roussy
Body Art
Today at 08:31 AM
Indigo And The Brow Chakra
by Teresa - Holistic Health
Holistic Health
Today at 07:50 AM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 07:34 AM
Where are you and how is the weather?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 07:00 AM
What will you do today?
by Nancy Roussy
Inspiration
Today at 06:59 AM
2014 Eating Log
by Nancy Roussy
Low Carb
Today at 06:57 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Lisa - Buddhism), 128 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.