I know when I got laid off for the 3rd time in 2008, having well meaning people try to offer some comfort in my time of change sometimes could be irritating.

From my own experience I have learn't that when someone is unemployed, we have to be very "careful" about our interaction with them especially if the unemployment is long term.

Yes, go ahead and ask if they want you to let them know if you hear of any jobs.

LOL, I had to hang on to what was left of my "tolerance" when interacting with this lady from my daughter's church. First of all she came across as looking down at my situation.

Believe me, I use to be that way. Why? We tend to not know what it is like to be looking for a job when we have one.

Okay, I got pass that issue with her as this was my first time talking to her.

But when she kept calling me about jobs that were online after I had told her the only reason I had called her was to see if she knew of any jobs at her church. From working for a church several years ago I know they sometimes hire people as needed or may have someone in their congregation looking for a job. Obviously this lady was not "listening" to me! LOL, and the online jobs were the exact same online jobs I already knew about = I do not need any help with this thank you smile

What brought things to an end was when she told me to fill out a form requesting financial help from the church, then went on to say they only helped their congregation and times were hard = there may not be any funds available.

Okay lady - are you saying I need to join your church before filling out the form which I did not ask for or want? I took a rain check on the form so as not to offend her, but I had no intention of filling it out.

Being in my 50's I have learn't the "nice" way of cutting folks loose when it is needed and this cut has been done.

With me it is a "pride" thing and when you are looking for a job for a long time - you tend to not be "nice"/lol. I have been able to take care of myself first as a single parent for 18 years of my now 25 year old old child's life - be assured I this will continue to the day I die. I do not mind getting help, but not into pity or handouts.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Networking is very important in this recession as a lot of jobs are not advertised outside of a company - knowing someone helps in this case.

So we need to make sure we do "cut" everyone out of our lives while unemployed - but we do deserve "respect"...

Career Aptitude Test
Career Change
Career Coaching Training
Career Counseling