Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Anne Seyer, RoseEnglish, jpbrooks, Jay Mahamud, Ananyaw
57005 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57005 Members
417 Forums
112541 Topics
795650 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 702
Beetlemess 579
Karm - SW USA Editor 352
Nancy Roussy 186
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 166
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 136
Allyson - USACook/HomeCook 129
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 114
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 109
Linu 104
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#776180 - 08/02/12 11:35 PM 403b plans
AKLisa- Knitting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Since I work in education I have the option of signing up for a 403(b) plan. This is like a 401K for public educators. Right now I am trying to get prospectus' and then I plan to make a spreadsheet comparing plans. Below is the list of what categories I will put on the spreadsheet. My questions is if anyone has any other suggestions as to what they would add?

_-average return rate
-yearly fees-
-penalties for early withdrawal, by program and IRS
-minimums to start and contribute
-plan type (annuity, money market, etc.)
-if I can choose to throw in extra money when I have it

Well, what would anyone else add? what other criteria did you use when selecting your plan for 401K, 403b, or similar program?

Edited by AKLisa- Knitting Editor (08/03/12 01:14 AM)

Add 403b plans to Twitter Add 403b plans to Facebook Add 403b plans to MySpace Add 403b plans to Del.icio.us Digg 403b plans Add 403b plans to Yahoo My Web Add 403b plans to Google Bookmarks Add 403b plans to Stumbleupon Add 403b plans to Reddit
#776501 - 08/05/12 07:57 PM Re: 403b plans [Re: AKLisa- Knitting Editor]
Sandra Investing/HFinance Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Lisa,

I think you have a good idea of what to look for in your plan options. I would stay away from annuities and go with mutual funds.

With the mutual funds, look for no-load funds and low fees if they are offered. Also, consider how the funds performance compares to similar funds and the benchmark index to which it is compared.

Keep us posted. I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts on this issue as well.
Home Finance Website
Home Finance Forum

Add Re: 403b plans to Twitter Add Re: 403b plans to Facebook Add Re: 403b plans to MySpace Add Re: 403b plans to Del.icio.us Digg Re: 403b plans Add Re: 403b plans to Yahoo My Web Add Re: 403b plans to Google Bookmarks Add Re: 403b plans to Stumbleupon Add Re: 403b plans to Reddit
#776512 - 08/05/12 09:05 PM Re: 403b plans [Re: AKLisa- Knitting Editor]
AKLisa- Knitting Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
I don't really understand what an annuity is, but it keeps coming up that these are NOT good investment vehicles for these types of plans. Sadly, I think most of my coworkers have their 403(b) in annuities.
There is a guy who comes by our school from one of the companies allowed in the plan, so almost everyone has their 403(b) set up with him. I don't even think they looked at all their options. It's kinda scary, really.
When we got back to work I plan to ask my coworkers some questions very delicately about why they chose the plans they did.
Until then, I plan to keep investigating. I have to contact about 10 different companies for prospectus (or is that prospectii?) I asked our human resources if any charts had been prepared to help us choose plans, and they told me I have to do that myself or hire a CFP to do it.
I want to understand this stuff better, so I am going the DIY route. I really wonder how much my fellow educators understand investing.

Add Re: 403b plans to Twitter Add Re: 403b plans to Facebook Add Re: 403b plans to MySpace Add Re: 403b plans to Del.icio.us Digg Re: 403b plans Add Re: 403b plans to Yahoo My Web Add Re: 403b plans to Google Bookmarks Add Re: 403b plans to Stumbleupon Add Re: 403b plans to Reddit
#776575 - 08/06/12 12:45 PM Re: 403b plans [Re: AKLisa- Knitting Editor]
Sandra Investing/HFinance Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Lisa,
I agree with you. It is scary. I think too often people are so busy with their careers and families that they don't feel they have the time to understand their options. Sadly, from what I understand, many 401k and 403b plans are set up to benefit the companies offering the plans and not the people participating in the plans.
I admire your due diligence and wish everyone else would do the same. Company salesmen can make any investment sound wonderful even when they are not.
As for annuities, the big drawback is that you lock up your money for years. Returns will either be a guaranteed minimum with a chance at a higher return or will fluctuate with the market. They do defer taxes which I think adds to the allure but the main drawback is that they charge high fees which erode your returns. Plus high penalties to withdraw early.
Please keep me posted and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.
Home Finance Website
Home Finance Forum

Moderator:  Sandra Investing/HFinance 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Hello,lifehouse
by jennifer888
Beauty Basics
3 seconds ago
Hello!=)
by jennifer888
Beauty Basics
3 minutes 45 seconds ago
Is There Anything To Forgive
by Tracy - Philosophy
Philosophy
10 minutes 49 seconds ago
Surprising Pope Francis
by ancientflaxman
Catholicism
42 minutes 0 seconds ago
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rosie 66
Comedy Movies
Today at 04:14 AM
New game
by Rosie 66
History
Today at 03:40 AM
What is your stress level today?
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 03:34 AM
Word From Last Letter Game
by Rosie 66
Contests & Sweepstakes
Today at 03:25 AM
Swimming Safety and ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Kindle Review-A Device for Adults with ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Yesterday at 11:39 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.