Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
faclinic, Vermontwhitewolf, zenwindowsboston, protegopooja24, Ellie Radu - CF Editor
57237 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57237 Members
417 Forums
113105 Topics
801832 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 868
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 520
Beetlemess 220
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 137
Nancy Roussy 118
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 115
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 70
Jana - Creativity Editor 69
Sandra Investing/HFinance 51
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#510115 - 04/08/09 12:20 AM Ethnic hair care and exercise
Dianne W - Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Virginia
Hi,
I would love to see an article on taking care of Ethnic hair when you exercise. I won't share the gory details as I sit here from an intense work out. cry
But I'm curious as to some tips one what to do between shampoos to take care of the hair when you work out.

The secret to a perfect interview? Know your story and practice it!

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon

Add Ethnic hair care and exercise to Twitter Add Ethnic hair care and exercise to Facebook Add Ethnic hair care and exercise to MySpace Add Ethnic hair care and exercise to Del.icio.us Digg Ethnic hair care and exercise Add Ethnic hair care and exercise to Yahoo My Web Add Ethnic hair care and exercise to Google Bookmarks Add Ethnic hair care and exercise to Stumbleupon Add Ethnic hair care and exercise to Reddit
#510770 - 04/09/09 02:01 PM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Ms.D Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: Miami, FL
I usually put my hair up away from my face and neck. I make sure I don't cover my hair with anything(scarf, head band, because that causes my hair to sweat. I see that some ladies wrap their hair to work out, but this will only frizz up the ends when the sweat gets to it.

Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Twitter Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Facebook Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to MySpace Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Stumbleupon Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Reddit
#511015 - 04/09/09 07:32 PM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Dknows Offline

Loc: texas
Does anyone have any suggestions for thick afr-am hair, I would like to eliminate my perm and go natural but it is too hard to manage without the chemicals? Plus, when I excercise I really look like a poodle afterwards.

Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Twitter Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Facebook Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to MySpace Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Stumbleupon Add Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise to Reddit
#511114 - 04/10/09 12:56 AM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Dknows]
Lady J Offline
Elephant

Loc: West Central IL (USA)
try hot combs and humidity defying/controlling products. I have a few clients that went chemical straightening free. They come in a couple times a month to get a wash, blow out, and flat ironing from me. They usually have a hot comb at him they use ofr the naps (as I work in a majority white spa, don't have access to some tools).

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!

#511745 - 04/11/09 08:55 PM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
Grace, Ethnic Beauty Offline
Jellyfish

Loc: Connecticut
Okay....Exactly what kinds of problems are you having? You sweat a lot when you exercise I know, but do you exercise inside or out?

Can you rinse your hair after working out? I know that's what I did when I worked out. I always kept a bottle of Pantene daily leave in spray conditioner. It works great for light conditioning without weighing your hair down.

Keep it tied back or braided whatever the case maybe. Don't leave it out so it can get more tangeled. It will also become dry and brittle when exposed to the elements like that. Spend time preparing your hair for your work out if your hair is that unruly. Also understand when you work out it is a plus for your hair.

What kind of hair do you have dry, tightly coiled, curly?

I will look into that Dianne. It's a very good question plus I would love to see what they have on the market today for "exercised hair".

Grace D. Dooley

#511753 - 04/11/09 09:12 PM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Ms.D]
Jellyfish

Ms.D,
Thank you for posting. I am glad you stopped by. Yes keeping your hair back is a good idea when working out.

Some times women tie their hair because by exercising it releases the natural oils in the hair to condition it naturally. It's like being in a sauna. Also headbands etc worn during exercising usually is meant to keep the sweat out of the eyes so they can exercise with out the burning sweat running down their faces.

I know for me I don't like the sweat and actually I keep my hair tied up all the time. It keeps the moisture in and my hair is softer and grows better. I don't get a lot of slpit ends this way either. I only take it out for special occassions. I know everyone can't do this but it's what I choose to do.

When I do take my hair out I am careful to make sure it's conditioned good to deal with the elements. Keeping your hair tied up also minimizes the dust and dirt from sticking to your hair and causing it to get dirty faster.

As Dianne has mentioned hair care and exercise was never something to be thought about. But I will consult with the experts to find about hair care and workouts.

Grace D. Dooley

#511774 - 04/11/09 10:17 PM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Dknows]
Jellyfish

Hello DKnows,

Welcome and thanks for posting your quetion here.

Jase response is a good one but I would recommend using Luster's Pink. I these products for hair with chemicals and with out. It is especially for Afro-Am hair. It softens the hair and it's more manageable. The entire line has several different products to style condition heat protection etc. Also their products if not mistaking has sunscreen for the hair.

Lusters Pink Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion, 12 oz

Hope this helps. Good luck.

They even have products for thick coarse hair. Check it out.

Grace D. Dooley

#708289 - 08/17/11 09:51 PM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Grace, Ethnic Beauty]
Lara Masterson Offline

A good old fashioned do-rag always helps. Is breakage and brittleness of the hair a problem related to this? In addition to shampooing you should probably use a strengthening conditioner. Modern day life is very very hard on african hair. I use Urielpure's Strengthening Conditioner ( www.urielpure.com ) Between the do-rag and the conditioner that helps me. I hope this helps you too. Cheers, Lara

#708374 - 08/18/11 12:30 PM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Lara Masterson]
AprilAlisaMarquette Offline
Shark

Loc: The South
Hi Lara,

Thanks for stopping by and for your comments.

You're right about the strengthening conditioner. Thanks for the tip!

#753843 - 03/28/12 01:36 PM Re: Ethnic hair care and exercise [Re: Dianne W - Editor]
AprilAlisaMarquette Offline
Shark

Loc: The South
Do enjoy the article entitled Walk to Get Fit

We'd love to hear other exercises that can help us to slim down or tone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Juliette - Ethnic Beauty 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What Did You Write Today?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Fiction Writing
5 minutes 11 seconds ago
Buying Houseplants
by Sue - Houseplants
Houseplants
Today at 01:35 AM
Buying Houseplants Online
by Sue - Houseplants
Houseplants
Today at 01:34 AM
Diagnosing Plant Death
by Sue - Houseplants
Houseplants
Today at 01:29 AM
Lisa's Daily 10pm EST / 8pm MST Meditation
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Meditation
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
I Lost Almost Everything
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Yesterday at 07:02 PM
Starting a yoga practice
by Pam - Senior Issues
Senior Issues
Yesterday at 05:58 PM
Salvaging a Dry Roast
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Sandwiches
Yesterday at 05:19 PM
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Home Finance
Yesterday at 04:08 PM
Where do you walk?
by SusanC
Walking
Yesterday at 03:37 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.