logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#711938 09/01/11 12:35 PM
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
�Exotic and dangerous pets are becoming more and more popular.� Why is exotic in the same sentence as dangerous pets? An exotic pet does not equal a dangerous pet. What? We�d see these headlines �not! Stay tuned for the attack of the dwarf hamster! Mini lop rabbit wipes out apartment complex. Corn snake goes berserk hissing owner to�death by tickle? Get real ABC. Learn the truth about exotic pets Stay away from sensationalism, stick with the truth and facts.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
Did you read or view this report?

I think they used the phrase "exotic and dangerous" since the ABC News article I just read was about the pet market in poisonous reptiles (including snakes such as rattlesnakes and cobras) and in poisonous insects. It's not surprising to me that creatures whose bite can sicken or kill are generally accepted as dangerous nor does it seem to me to be "sensationalism" to so describe them.

Hamsters and rabbits, even lop-eared rabbits, do not qualify as exotic pets in my understanding of the term. Tigers and chimpanzees do. Not only are these animals exotic and increasing in popularity as pets, they are undeniably dangerous too.

I notice at the link you provide, the fourth article lists not only raccoons and skunks (currently the two leading land carriers of rabies), but bears as well.

Does 'getting real' include the assertion that bears are not dangerous animals?

Even long time domesticated animals such as dogs or cats may attack their owners or others. See for instance the story of a Philadelphia woman mauled to death earlier this week by her pet dogs. Animals from the wild or a mere generation removed from the wild are (and should be) considered far more dangerous than those animals that have been man's willing companions for millenia which nevertheless still do attack and kill humans.

Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Raccoons and skunks are raised domestically for the pet industry. I do know that the facility I have bought mine from has not had a case of rabies since the 1800's.

For arguments sake we will use the liberal term of exotic pet, meaning not a dog or cat. Second term, not dog, cat, fish or bird. However, I have featured exotic cats. So truly nothing fits the term skin tight.

The sensationalism by Animal planet, and other programs just makes me angry. I'm afraid waltzing through several articles this morning that sentence stuck in my mind.

Every animal is dangerous including humans. Exotic pet laws are influenced by the inane thinking behind these shows. These shows broadcast for no other reasons that to make money. I have been contacted by too many of them to believe otherwise.

F
Gecko
Gecko
F
I think if you look, you will find that most fish and wildlife laws (which generally govern exotic species) are based on rational analysis and scientific data and not at all on cable television shows.

C
Shark
Shark
C
If you believe for a second politics doesn't play a roll with fish and wildlife laws. In the state of California fish and game asked a ferret organization to have a particular study done on ferrets, a study that had been done in the past. Also one that would cost hundreds of thousand if not millions. How could a neutered ferret hurt anything? They all play the same games. HS and other big animal rights organizations pay out tons of money to control the politicians. Where else does their money go, it doesn't go to shelters.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
French Open Tennis Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 05/30/24 01:20 AM
Bandana Essentials
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/29/24 05:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/29/24 05:24 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/27/24 08:37 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/27/24 08:26 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.