Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
fit4fashion, ashjoielee, johnnie55, uveuleurz, Noitartst
57308 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57309 Members
417 Forums
113287 Topics
803761 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 594
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 369
Beetlemess 279
Jana - Creativity Editor 277
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 81
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 61
Dorcy 56
Nancy Roussy 54
Mona - Astronomy 48
Linu 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#710588 - 08/26/11 04:36 PM Most original female character in fiction
Lane LitFic Offline
Amoeba

As promised, here is the thread that asks: Where are all the Harry Potters for the girls??

Psychologist and literary critic Lucy Pollard-Gott ranked the most influential characters in world literature and legend in her 2010 book, The Fictional 100. Only one woman made the top 10: Eve. Not exactly a character in literary fiction! The list has international appeal, but the most modern women in it are Scarlett O�Hara and Toni Morrison�s Beloved.

So I�m curious: what fictional girl or woman would you say gives Hamlet, Huck, Harry, and Holden Caulfield a run for their money?

Read the latest on my site!

Add Most original female character in fiction to Twitter Add Most original female character in fiction to Facebook Add Most original female character in fiction to MySpace Add Most original female character in fiction to Del.icio.us Digg Most original female character in fiction Add Most original female character in fiction to Yahoo My Web Add Most original female character in fiction to Google Bookmarks Add Most original female character in fiction to Stumbleupon Add Most original female character in fiction to Reddit
#710590 - 08/26/11 04:49 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Lane LitFic]
Jilly Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Verde Valley, AZ
It's easier to pick a female character from tv or movies. Literary fiction? A harder call.

Edited by Jilly (08/26/11 04:50 PM)

Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Twitter Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Facebook Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to MySpace Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Most original female character in fiction Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Stumbleupon Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Reddit
#710992 - 08/28/11 01:25 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Jilly]
Lane LitFic Offline
Amoeba

That means girls are in more trouble than I'd thought frown

TV and movies are such visual media, unlike books (especially fiction) where you can literally read the characters' thoughts and feelings. So are girls and women more to be gazed at than understood as complex, thinking, distinctive individuals � ?

Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Twitter Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Facebook Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to MySpace Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Most original female character in fiction Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Stumbleupon Add Re: Most original female character in fiction to Reddit
#710994 - 08/28/11 01:34 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Lane LitFic]
Sadhana ~ Indian Food Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: USA
Hmm... for me most original (also memorable & unique) characters because they were integral to the story itself.

Hester Prynne (The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne)
Miss Haversham (Great Expectations by Charles Dickens)
Jo March (Little Women by Louisa May Alcott)

Also Moll Flanders, Anna Karenina & Jane Eyre but these ladies were also the main characters (& titles).

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!

#711013 - 08/28/11 03:26 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Sadhana ~ Indian Food]
Horror_Movies_Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: U.K
Amber from 'Forever Amber' is a really strong character.

Also, 'Nancy Drew' - she's a brilliant role model for teenage girls, and literally has solved thousands of mysteries and murders alone. Her history is amazing.

If we're including comic books - I could give you a list a mile long LOL.

#711025 - 08/28/11 04:34 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Horror_Movies_Editor]
Sadhana ~ Indian Food Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: USA
OMG --- I grew up with Nancy Drew! I loved each & every ND book! What a fantastic character, she was smart & adventurous. A great role model for any young girl :-)

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!

#711040 - 08/28/11 05:43 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Sadhana ~ Indian Food]
Ninjahedgewych Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Portsmouth, England
Modesty Blaze - from those books I learned the art of the Yawara stick and gave up carrying a blade. Quite an accomplishment for late '70's Mexico City!

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama

#711065 - 08/28/11 07:01 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Ninjahedgewych]
Mona - Astronomy Online   content
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
Oh yes, I wanted to be Nancy Drew, too!

Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables books, because she was courageous and determined.

Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett who is honest and intelligent and doesn't unthinkingly follow the conventions of her time.

Jo March from Little Women and sequels. She intelligent, passionate, talented and strong.

Dorothy from L Frank Baum's Oz books. Strong sense of right & wrong, also brave and loyal. Baum gave a lot of main parts to the girls in his stories. The most memorable boys were Button Bright (who was actually rather dim and memorable because pretty much anything that was asked him was answered with "Don't know.") and Tip, who turns out to be a girl who is under an enchantment!

But in more modern literature, Lyra Belacqua from Phillip Pullman's popular (with children and adults) His Dark Materials trilogy. She's really a plucky heroine, rebellious, loyal, brave.

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

#711364 - 08/29/11 06:45 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Lane LitFic Offline
Amoeba

Yay, they exist � what a relief!

To the classic characters, I would add Lily Bart from The House of Mirth, Nora Helmer from A Doll's House, and Mary Lennox from The Secret Garden. I like how they start off as frivolous, naive and self-centered, and become thoughtful and independent after their experiences. Nancy Drew is awesome � I wish she had been updated more successfully.

Lyra Belacqua is a good one, Mona � wish she was as well known as Harry Potter and Bella Swan. I didn't know that about Baum; I haven't actually read any of his books but will add him to my list. Also from modern lit: Scout Finch, played so well by Mary Badham in the movie that I don't think anyone could improve on her.

Keep 'em coming � I'm sure there are more �

#719435 - 10/14/11 05:08 PM Re: Most original female character in fiction [Re: Lane LitFic]
radhabant Offline

Loc: India
How about including Miss Marple? She's solved murders that perplexed manly detectives and police officers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ije - Literary Fiction 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Red Dwarfs - Ten Facts for Kids *new*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
2 seconds ago
Music ABC game
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Pop Music
15 minutes 15 seconds ago
Word From Last Letter Game
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Contests & Sweepstakes
17 minutes 25 seconds ago
Halloween
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
37 minutes 59 seconds ago
Name some Angels & Their Meaning
by "Rosie"
Bible Basics
53 minutes 37 seconds ago
Mafia & Gangsters game
by "Rosie"
Action Movies
Today at 04:48 PM
New game
by "Rosie"
History
Today at 04:28 PM
I Am Back Online
by Nancy Roussy
Stress Management
Today at 02:46 PM
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
Today at 02:44 PM
Some links won't work this week!
by Cheryll - Bahá'í Life
Baha'i Faith
Today at 02:14 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
2 registered (Mona - Astronomy, Teresa - Holistic Health), 132 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.