Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
As promised, here is the thread that asks: Where are all the Harry Potters for the girls??

Psychologist and literary critic Lucy Pollard-Gott ranked the most influential characters in world literature and legend in her 2010 book, The Fictional 100. Only one woman made the top 10: Eve. Not exactly a character in literary fiction! The list has international appeal, but the most modern women in it are Scarlett O�Hara and Toni Morrison�s Beloved.

So I�m curious: what fictional girl or woman would you say gives Hamlet, Huck, Harry, and Holden Caulfield a run for their money?

Lane Graciano
Today in History
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
It's easier to pick a female character from tv or movies. Literary fiction? A harder call.

Last edited by Jilly; 08/26/11 12:50 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
That means girls are in more trouble than I'd thought frown

TV and movies are such visual media, unlike books (especially fiction) where you can literally read the characters' thoughts and feelings. So are girls and women more to be gazed at than understood as complex, thinking, distinctive individuals � ?

Lane Graciano
Today in History
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
Hmm... for me most original (also memorable & unique) characters because they were integral to the story itself.

Hester Prynne (The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne)
Miss Haversham (Great Expectations by Charles Dickens)
Jo March (Little Women by Louisa May Alcott)

Also Moll Flanders, Anna Karenina & Jane Eyre but these ladies were also the main characters (& titles).

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Amber from 'Forever Amber' is a really strong character.

Also, 'Nancy Drew' - she's a brilliant role model for teenage girls, and literally has solved thousands of mysteries and murders alone. Her history is amazing.

If we're including comic books - I could give you a list a mile long LOL.

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
S
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
S
OMG --- I grew up with Nancy Drew! I loved each & every ND book! What a fantastic character, she was smart & adventurous. A great role model for any young girl :-)

SADHANA GINDE, Indian Food Editor

BellaOnline Training Manager, BellaOnline Forum Admin, BellaOnine FB Admin :-)

Indian Food Website

Dont forget to sign up for the Indian Food Newsletter!
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Modesty Blaze - from those books I learned the art of the Yawara stick and gave up carrying a blade. Quite an accomplishment for late '70's Mexico City!

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Online Content
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Oh yes, I wanted to be Nancy Drew, too!

Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables books, because she was courageous and determined.

Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennett who is honest and intelligent and doesn't unthinkingly follow the conventions of her time.

Jo March from Little Women and sequels. She intelligent, passionate, talented and strong.

Dorothy from L Frank Baum's Oz books. Strong sense of right & wrong, also brave and loyal. Baum gave a lot of main parts to the girls in his stories. The most memorable boys were Button Bright (who was actually rather dim and memorable because pretty much anything that was asked him was answered with "Don't know.") and Tip, who turns out to be a girl who is under an enchantment!

But in more modern literature, Lyra Belacqua from Phillip Pullman's popular (with children and adults) His Dark Materials trilogy. She's really a plucky heroine, rebellious, loyal, brave.

BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Yay, they exist � what a relief!

To the classic characters, I would add Lily Bart from The House of Mirth, Nora Helmer from A Doll's House, and Mary Lennox from The Secret Garden. I like how they start off as frivolous, naive and self-centered, and become thoughtful and independent after their experiences. Nancy Drew is awesome � I wish she had been updated more successfully.

Lyra Belacqua is a good one, Mona � wish she was as well known as Harry Potter and Bella Swan. I didn't know that about Baum; I haven't actually read any of his books but will add him to my list. Also from modern lit: Scout Finch, played so well by Mary Badham in the movie that I don't think anyone could improve on her.

Keep 'em coming � I'm sure there are more �

Lane Graciano
Today in History
How about including Miss Marple? She's solved murders that perplexed manly detectives and police officers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.