Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
elizabethgoss41, astrovalley, cory455, marger, simplicityshines
57415 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57416 Members
417 Forums
113479 Topics
805666 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 07:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 433
Beetlemess 151
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 128
Jana - Creativity Editor 115
Nancy Roussy 96
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 94
Mona - Astronomy 47
Susan - Meditation Editor 46
Sandra Investing/HFinance 36
Dianne W - Editor 24
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#702839 - 07/20/11 07:29 PM What would you like to do on the Moon?
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: United Kingdom
Thinking about the Apollo 11 anniversary today. If I could go to the Moon, there is one special thing I would like to do. I love looking at the Moon, but I think being on the Moon and looking up at Earth would be an even more beautiful sight.

If you could go to the Moon, what would you want to do?

Edited by Mona - Astronomy (07/20/11 07:44 PM)

http://www.bellaonline.com/newsletter/astronomy

Add What would you like to do on the Moon? to Twitter Add What would you like to do on the Moon? to Facebook Add What would you like to do on the Moon? to MySpace Add What would you like to do on the Moon? to Del.icio.us Digg What would you like to do on the Moon? Add What would you like to do on the Moon? to Yahoo My Web Add What would you like to do on the Moon? to Google Bookmarks Add What would you like to do on the Moon? to Stumbleupon Add What would you like to do on the Moon? to Reddit
#702858 - 07/20/11 09:09 PM Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
Besides looking up at Earth, I think a picnic would be nice. cool

Looking for unique shaped moon rocks would be fun. Exploring the land would be very interesting. Are there caves on the moon? I love caves.

Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Twitter Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Facebook Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to MySpace Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Reddit
#702998 - 07/21/11 06:52 PM Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Actually, Phyllis, there are caves on the Moon according to the photos taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Picnics! Yay! But don't see how to manage on the Moon with helmets.

Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Twitter Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Facebook Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to MySpace Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Del.icio.us Digg Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Yahoo My Web Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Google Bookmarks Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Stumbleupon Add Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? to Reddit
#703003 - 07/21/11 08:41 PM Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Sandy / Cocktails Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Texas, USA

Frolic naked!!

#703140 - 07/22/11 07:37 PM Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? [Re: Sandy / Cocktails Editor]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Is the astronomy forum about to become x-rated?! LOL

But, Sandy, I guess you could do that if you chose your time and place carefully and didn't expect to frolic for long. In the morning sun, you could get a balmy temperature, though sunscreen is recommended. Unfortunately, the fun would be abruptly halted by lack of oxygen within fifteen seconds. Bummer.

#703172 - 07/23/11 01:48 AM Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Francine - German Culture Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

Loc: Germany/France

It is hard to believe Mona that it is 42 years that together with family and friends I sat in front of a black and white TV screen and watched �the moon landing�. Even though we knew it was real there were still some press stories claiming that it all took place on a Hollywood back lot, and at the time it was so �unimaginable� that it was really like something from a sci-fi movie.

What would I do if somehow magically finding myself sitting on the moon?

Just sit with my helmet on and look at the earth for as long as possible as the view was changing. Those pictures that have been published over the years are breathtaking, a wonderful sight.

While at the same time would be wondering what we are doing to it, both as far as the planets nature and own �life� is concerned and our way of �living� on it. There was a massacre of 70 mostly young people yesterday, Friday 22nd, in Norway, in the Horn of Africa millions are starving, while there are continually wars in the name of political thought, religion and heaven knows what else.

Think seeing earth from a distance would not only be a 'fantastic experience' in every sense of the phrase, but also one where one would look at the planet and ask �Why this, what have we done and what are we still doing?�

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRUECKE Cologne, the CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. Photo "Der Wolf im Wald" with Plantu's "European Dove of Peace 2012". Western Europe has enjoyed the longest period of peace in its history, and in 2012 the EU won the Nobel Prize for Peace.

#703189 - 07/23/11 08:27 AM Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? [Re: Francine - German Culture]
Lestie - ContainerGardens Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Johannesburg South Africa
C'mon Sandy - design a Frolic Naked, a new cocktail for us to enjoy in salute to all who put mankind there.

I have a live recording made by my husband on a little cassette packed away somewhere, taken from the radio live roadcast, should have listened to it again though with youtube and internet I am sure a cursory search will get all the realism one wants.

What would you put in your Naked Frolic cocktail?

I'd need to experiment a bit but guess to start I would go with Absinthe and three drops of raw honey slushed/shaken with granita ice, served in a martini style glass with short straws and a mint leaf.

Cheers now

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.

#703295 - 07/23/11 07:30 PM Re: What would you like to do on the Moon? [Re: Francine - German Culture]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Francine, it's interesting that you think of what the Earth means, because astronauts - who've had the experience of seeing the Earth from the outside - have reacted in just that way.

Michael Collins (Apollo 11), as he thought of looking at the Earth, said, "My God, that little thing is so fragile out there." Scott Carpenter (Mercury 7) said, "This planet is a delicate flower and it must be cared for. It's lonely. It's small. And we are mistreating it. This is our home, and this is all we've got."

The great and pioneering Russian cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov said, "The Earth was small, light blue, and so touchingly alone, our home that must be defended like a holy relic."

There are many similar responses from those who have been in space and I think for the 24 Apollo astronauts who left "Earth's gravity and circled the Moon, this seems to sum it up:
"We came all this way to explore the moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the earth." (William Anders, Apollo 8)
� William Anders
Apollo

#704628 - 07/29/11 07:03 PM Yay! Great idea! A Moon trip cocktail! [Re: Lestie - ContainerGardens]
Mona - Astronomy Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

I'm really taken with Lestie's idea of having a cocktail. I wonder where a person could find a cocktain editor. ;]

But I'm thinking not of a martini glass, as those are conical, more like those rounded shallow glasses people - for some reason - used to drink champagne out of. Because the roundness would echo that of the Moon. At first, wasn't sure about the mint, but that would be a connection with the Earth. But how about a slice of orange (or lemon, depending on the taste wanted) for the Sun?

Crushed or slushy ice? And I guess the absinthe would make it milky? I'm guessing here as I've never tried it. A friend said pernod and orange was a good combination.

Still waiting for some recipes......

Add Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Twitter Add Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Facebook Add Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to MySpace Add Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Del.icio.us Digg Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! Add Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Yahoo My Web Add Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Google Bookmarks Add Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Stumbleupon Add Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Reddit
#704630 - 07/29/11 07:22 PM Re: Yay! Great idea! A Moon trip cocktail! [Re: Mona - Astronomy]
Sandy / Cocktails Editor Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko

Loc: Texas, USA

OK, ladies, my frolic is over, I've found some clothes AND some sunscreen, and I've even remembered to turn on the 'watch list' option for this forum so I can keep up. Seems I've got some earthbound work to do here.

I love the idea of a moon-inspired cocktail! Give me a day or two to play around with the ideas you've submitted - Mona, love the idea of round glasses! - and I'll have something lunar to sip soon!

Thanks for those heavenly suggestions, everybody!!

Add Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Twitter Add Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Facebook Add Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to MySpace Add Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! Add Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Stumbleupon Add Re: Yay!  Great idea!  A Moon trip cocktail! to Reddit
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Mona - Astronomy 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
facial hair
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 07:12 PM
What Part of You Do You Love?
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 07:05 PM
Plastic Surgery & Perfection
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 04:32 PM
Caroline Herschel
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
Today at 02:04 PM
In what countries is surrogacy legal?
by stephenoneal28
Adoption
Today at 01:20 PM
Fall Fun Word Game
by Jana - Creativity Editor
Investing
Today at 12:23 PM
Use Water to reduce wrinkles
by Nancy Roussy
Beauty Basics
Today at 12:05 PM
What do you Have for Breakfast?
by Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames
Low Carb
Today at 11:45 AM
Photos to Replicate Paintings
Photography
Today at 10:46 AM
What Yoga did you Do Today?
Yoga
Today at 10:38 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.