Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Thinking about the Apollo 11 anniversary today. If I could go to the Moon, there is one special thing I would like to do. I love looking at the Moon, but I think being on the Moon and looking up at Earth would be an even more beautiful sight.

If you could go to the Moon, what would you want to do?

Last edited by Mona - Astronomy; 07/20/11 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Besides looking up at Earth, I think a picnic would be nice. cool

Looking for unique shaped moon rocks would be fun. Exploring the land would be very interesting. Are there caves on the moon? I love caves.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Actually, Phyllis, there are caves on the Moon according to the photos taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Picnics! Yay! But don't see how to manage on the Moon with helmets.

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

Frolic naked!!

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Is the astronomy forum about to become x-rated?! LOL

But, Sandy, I guess you could do that if you chose your time and place carefully and didn't expect to frolic for long. In the morning sun, you could get a balmy temperature, though sunscreen is recommended. Unfortunately, the fun would be abruptly halted by lack of oxygen within fifteen seconds. Bummer.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk

It is hard to believe Mona that it is 42 years that together with family and friends I sat in front of a black and white TV screen and watched �the moon landing�. Even though we knew it was real there were still some press stories claiming that it all took place on a Hollywood back lot, and at the time it was so �unimaginable� that it was really like something from a sci-fi movie.

What would I do if somehow magically finding myself sitting on the moon?

Just sit with my helmet on and look at the earth for as long as possible as the view was changing. Those pictures that have been published over the years are breathtaking, a wonderful sight.

While at the same time would be wondering what we are doing to it, both as far as the planets nature and own �life� is concerned and our way of �living� on it. There was a massacre of 70 mostly young people yesterday, Friday 22nd, in Norway, in the Horn of Africa millions are starving, while there are continually wars in the name of political thought, religion and heaven knows what else.

Think seeing earth from a distance would not only be a 'fantastic experience' in every sense of the phrase, but also one where one would look at the planet and ask �Why this, what have we done and what are we still doing?�

Francine A. McKenna - German Culture Editor

German Culture Site - German Culture Facebook

Avatar: HOHENZOLLERNBRÃœCKE Cologne with CATHEDRAL and LUDWIG MUSEUM. The Bridge a symbol of how Germany was rebuilt after WWII, it was left in ruins, the Cathedral with roots in the 13th century represents the country's history, Museum of Modern Art the present day.

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
C'mon Sandy - design a Frolic Naked, a new cocktail for us to enjoy in salute to all who put mankind there.

I have a live recording made by my husband on a little cassette packed away somewhere, taken from the radio live roadcast, should have listened to it again though with youtube and internet I am sure a cursory search will get all the realism one wants.

What would you put in your Naked Frolic cocktail?

I'd need to experiment a bit but guess to start I would go with Absinthe and three drops of raw honey slushed/shaken with granita ice, served in a martini style glass with short straws and a mint leaf.

Cheers now

Lestie Mulholland - Container Gardening Editor

Container Gardening Site

Container Gardening Forum

"Things GARDENING are great ... they are my daily smiles on toast!" - Jennifer St John-Rose, formerly black thumb recently turned green.
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Francine, it's interesting that you think of what the Earth means, because astronauts - who've had the experience of seeing the Earth from the outside - have reacted in just that way.

Michael Collins (Apollo 11), as he thought of looking at the Earth, said, "My God, that little thing is so fragile out there." Scott Carpenter (Mercury 7) said, "This planet is a delicate flower and it must be cared for. It's lonely. It's small. And we are mistreating it. This is our home, and this is all we've got."

The great and pioneering Russian cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov said, "The Earth was small, light blue, and so touchingly alone, our home that must be defended like a holy relic."

There are many similar responses from those who have been in space and I think for the 24 Apollo astronauts who left "Earth's gravity and circled the Moon, this seems to sum it up:
"We came all this way to explore the moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the earth." (William Anders, Apollo 8)
� William Anders
Apollo

BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
I'm really taken with Lestie's idea of having a cocktail. I wonder where a person could find a cocktain editor. ;]

But I'm thinking not of a martini glass, as those are conical, more like those rounded shallow glasses people - for some reason - used to drink champagne out of. Because the roundness would echo that of the Moon. At first, wasn't sure about the mint, but that would be a connection with the Earth. But how about a slice of orange (or lemon, depending on the taste wanted) for the Sun?

Crushed or slushy ice? And I guess the absinthe would make it milky? I'm guessing here as I've never tried it. A friend said pernod and orange was a good combination.

Still waiting for some recipes......

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S

OK, ladies, my frolic is over, I've found some clothes AND some sunscreen, and I've even remembered to turn on the 'watch list' option for this forum so I can keep up. Seems I've got some earthbound work to do here.

I love the idea of a moon-inspired cocktail! Give me a day or two to play around with the ideas you've submitted - Mona, love the idea of round glasses! - and I'll have something lunar to sip soon!

Thanks for those heavenly suggestions, everybody!!

Sandy Hemphill, Cocktails Editor
Cocktails Website
Cocktails Forum
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Mona - Astronomy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.