Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#696779 06/21/11 02:53 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Wishing everyone a very happy Summer Solstice. Typical British one here - driving rain and cold for the time of year. Had to have a bath and a snuggle to warm up after the ritual!!

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Happy Litha to you as well! What are your plans for the day?

I look forward to reading your comments.

The evolution of humankind can be measured by how its animals are treated.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Did you go to Stonehenge Ian? Lots of my friends went this year. What does Litha mean?

Linda Heywood

Linda19 #696785 06/21/11 03:27 AM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Blessed Litha to you, Ian. Our summer starts at 10:16 AM tomorrow morning our time in Nevada, USA.

I am so ready for summer. I can remember as a young girl my father telling me about Celtic goddesses of the sun. I would go outside on the Solstice and look up in the sky to see if they were anywhere up there. My father was Irish/Norwegian and prayed a lot, often to the old Celtic gods and goddesses.

Last edited by Phyllis-Folk/Myth; 06/21/11 03:51 AM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
BellaOnline Editor
Renaissance Human
Happy Litha to you Ian, even though not much sunshine around to celebrate.

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
And Happy Litha to all!! Bright Blessings of love and healing to you laugh

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Happy Summer Solstice!

(1:16PM, EDT)

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Thanks everyone. Avoided Stonehenge as the sight of all the drunk/stoned idiots dancing on the stones annoys me. The weather brightened up later so enjoyed it at lunchtime and during the travel between the safety jobs I do for Portsmouth city council. Looking forward to ending the day with Ninjutsu training tonight.

Ian - Pagan Editor

"We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves."

"With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world. "

Dalai Lama
Happy Summer Solstice to all! Our day dawned with clear skies and very warm sunshine. It is to get up to 94 today.

At 10:16 this morning, I filled my little clay pot with sage and tobacco and burned the sacred herbs and said prayers of thanks for all Creator has blessed me with.

One of these blessings is friends like all of you. Thank you.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Thank You for counting us as blessed entities in your life.

-B-
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children."
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
It saddens my heart that people would show disrespect to such a sacred place. It is pleasing to hear that you were able to spend time over lunch without disruption.

Is the art of Ninjutsu similar to Taekwondo or Jeet Kune Do? How long you studied the art?

I study the arts of Taekwondo, Jeet Kune Do, Judo, Kumdo, and various stick fighting methods. I'd enjoy learning another one to add to my arsenal! smile

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
Originally Posted By: Beetlemess
Thank You for counting us as blessed entities in your life.

smile There are no Angel smiley faces. Friends are quiet Angels...

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Ian, I thought that Stonehenge was off limits to the public. It is so sad to know this still happens. It is like the rock climbers over here who deface Devils Tower, even during the sacred ceremonies of the Native American tribes who have seen the area as Sacred Lands for centuries.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I think it is wonderful that people are granted access. I would expect there to be guards to remove those who are not respectful to the area.

I think that those who love and cherish such blessings should not be punished for the actions of those who do not. Which I believe is the result of disallowing them access.

I believe it is incumbent on a society to teach others that respect is a cornerstone trait of humans. Community service to clean up and maintain the area that was defiled would teach that lesson in a productive manner.

Last edited by Deb - Animal Life; 06/21/11 04:36 PM.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
Very well said, Deb.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
One of my dreams is to get to visit Stonehenge. I'm sorry to hear that it has to be protected from the drunk and disorderly frown

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Phyllis

Yes, Stonehenge is off limits to the public for most of the year. However, due to a series of events - such as the Battle of the Beanfield - they allow people to move among them at the solstices with this sort of result . People can also obtain permission to enter the stones at other times of the year for personal rituals, just to have a respectful look or, as in the last time I was there Pagan memorials and funerals.

In other areas such as Avebury people do climb over the standing stones. I once took a Witch friend from Leeds to see them and had to restrain her from physically ripping people off the rocks. I did't stop her from using PK and psychic influence to 'assist' people from falling off them though as three people did while we were there. She also called upon the 'wee folk' to do the same thing after she had left so I'd be interested in any first aid/accident records to see if it's had any effect.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
I could not get access to the video, Ian. It said not available. That is funny about your wiccan friend.

Let us know if anyone else fell off the stones. I do not understand the lack of respect for sacred places. I just do not get it.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Deb

Ninjutsu is currently practiced in two main styles; Gebukan and Bujinkan, both of which you can probably look up in your local area. I belong to the Shinobi kai which is recognised by both of them as are our instructors.

As these videos show , we don't take ourselves too seriously. For example last nights training featured unarmed taijutsu, counter-knife, rolled-up magazine, and hula hoop as a defensive tool (a new one to me!)

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
[quoteI could not get access to the video, Ian. It said not available.][/quote]

Drat! There must be some sort of regional 'block' on it. I understand there is a way 'round this by something called "peer to peer" sharing, but will have to ask my more computer-savvy friends about it.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Wow that was one big turnout. Why is the government no longer funding the area?

For video feed go into youtube and type in Stonehenge summer solstice 2011 - there are many videos uploaded. Thankfully, the videos I reviewed the people seemed reasonable and respectful. *whew*

I assume the practical fighting is but one aspect of what you learn. I find it one of the most practical tools in the art of self defense. It's always perplexed me how it's typically the shortest of the training courses. I put quite a premium on that part of the learning. You are basically learning to defend yourself with nearly any object.

Deb Duxbury
Animal Life Editor

Animal Life Forum
Facebook Page
Twitter
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Hi Deb

The UK government is no longer funding National Trust sites as the NT is a charity that fundraises by itself in addition to having some taxpayer money from the government coffers. With all the spending cuts on the surface this makes sense in the short term but the NT may feel it if the grant is permanently suspended.

On the Ninjutsu front all the combat training is self-defence oriented and there are no 'sporting' Ninja contests that I know of. Mark Lutman, the instructor for Portsmouth and Basingstoke often jokes that he began to train in the art to improve his Karate competition skills and lost the last competition he was ever in - even though the 'winner' was lying unconscious on the floor at the time!

I'm not into competitive martial arts, so all the ones I trained in before Ninjutsu were also non-competitive. I trained in Aikido and was able to use it for self defence as I explained here . Sadly the esoteric side of the art in the UK is not practised as thoroughly as the combat side, but I have managed to explore all angles through travelling to the places it still is, such as Japan, and by following the Pagan Path.

Ian - Pagan Editor

Dalai Lama
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ninjahedgewych 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.