logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#660459 02/03/11 04:54 PM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi! I just recently became involved in tatting and picked up a book called "24 Snowflakes in Tatting" by Lene Bjorn. I looked at the first diagram and can't make heads or tails of it! I am referring to the snowflake entitled "The First Day of December". Are you supposed to start from the outside and work in? It says it's worked in two rounds but I'm not sure where to stop the first round and join the second. I know how to make rings and join and all of that but I'm not sure how to start the project. Can someone please help? Thanks!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
Without seeing it (and I don't have that book), it's hard to help. But GENERALLY speaking, you start from the inside and work to the outside. So do the first round and tie it off. Then start the second round at any point in the diagram that works -- for example, if your diagram shows a loop, with a picot that joins to the inner round, start on the loop. If the rounds are symmetrical, it shouldn't matter WHICH picot you join to.

Does this make any sense? Like I said, hard to help when I can't see the pattern you're trying to follow. . . .

G
G
Okay, I managed to pull up the cover of the book, so let me use the snowflake in the lower left corner of the cover as an example. Here, the center motif would consist of 6 rings joined by 6 chains, with various picots along the way. Tat that first.

The next round is attached to that inner medallion with (what appears to be) twelve rings joined to twelve picots on the middle medallion. Pick any of those rings to start. Attach it to the proper picot, and continue from there. It doesn't matter WHICH ring you choose, just choose one and go. Whichever one you choose, mark it (if you want to) on your pattern with a pencil, and off you go. When you work all the pattern around, you'll end up back at that originall ring. Tie it off, and you're done!

M
M
Hi I have this book. If you look at the pattern there is the centre ring, to the right 2 rings marked 4,4,4,4, this is the first round and then the outside round. It can be worked with one shuttle and joins or two shuttles and split rings to get from one round to another. If I was working it I would probably use one shuttle but leave a long end to work the split rings finger tatting style. Work the centre ring. the ring marked 4,4,4,4 is a split ring, leave a little space on each of the threads to look like a picot before you work the split ring. Work around the round. The second and third marked rings from the centre, work as split rings, you will now be on the outside round, work round, finish your snowflake and enjoy. Although this is the first pattern in the book, it may not be the easiest one as it is only rings and thread spaces, no chains, which gives you firmer tatting to work with. Hope this helps a little Happy tatting

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hello Nate1025,

This page may help you be come more comfortable with reading tatting patterns:
[url= http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2004/design.html ] http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2004/design.html [/url]
if you need more assistance please feel free to email me direct at AKTATTER@aol.com or tatting@BellaOnline
Georgia

Georgia Seitz
TATTING
Hi
Iam new to this site apart from lurking. I now need help.

Looking for a pretty and simple pattern for a Brides Garter.
Can anyone help.

Romela

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hello Romela,

Did you find a garter pattern?

The Black Magic pattern as used in this cross is excellent for a garter:
http://www.georgiaseitz.com/classes2001/magic.html

Just tat the straight strip leaving off the arms.

If you prefer simpler design try this bookmark pattern:
http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2007/lindadaviesbkmk.html

Last edited by Georgia, AK Tatter; 05/15/11 03:56 PM.

Georgia Seitz
TATTING
Hey there Georgia!I have a pattern from an old "Doilies" pamphlet and I was doing a tatted doily and it said to "join to p of next smal ring..." well, I had NO next small ring. I must have sat and pondered that statement for 30 min. then I just joined it to the last small ring. Even the photo wasn't much help. I read where you said "vintage patterns are notorious for mistakes and that 'When in doubt, draw it out'". Guess I don't quite know how to do that yet. Is that something you could show me? This is only the 2nd row of the pattern, but it is an interesting doily. I will be awaiting your reply! Thanks...Peace and Love, Maggie "The Glad Tatter" mharju1@cox.net

BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Hello Maggie,

I hope you are doing ok with the pattern. If you have a photo or a diagram to go by it is pretty easy to follow the directions, isn't it? But if there is no picture then there can be confusion. So in the Online tatting class (I think you are a member aren't you?) we try to prepare numbered diagrams for the patterns.

This page may give you some help:
http://www.georgiaseitz.com/2004/design.html

If you draw out the pattern you can tat it.

Begin by drawing the first ring making dashes for picot and + for picots which join. Now read the next two steps. Is there a reverse work after the ring? Is it a chain and then a ring? Does the second ring join to the first?

Add a second ring next to the first and extend the + to the new ring to indicate the join. Now draw a curve or arch from the bottom of the first ring to the bottom of the second ring. Now continue in that manner for a short distance. By this time you should be able to tell if the pattern is an edging, straight line, or a motif, round or oval.
Email me anytime at AKTATTER@aol.com for help.

Georgia Seitz
TATTING

Moderated by  Georgia, AK Tatter 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.