Next Thread
Print Thread
#670689 03/16/11 09:58 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I love Spring time, but it always takes me a week or two to adjust to Daylight Savings Time. I have a hard time getting to sleep.

I also love my bird neighbors. We are blessed to have many. However, for the last two nights we've had a male singing his heart out for a mate at our carport. He's as loud as the TV and already at it again this morning. His song is beautiful for a few hours, but not for 6 straight, until 2am this morning. As I was trying to drift off in the wee hours, I was praying, "Grandfather, PLEASE send that boy a girl! I need some sleep."

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
We still have to wait until the 27th May before Daylight Saving Time starts in the UK. But we have spring! Cherry blossom and weeping willows are starting to pop out everywhere.

We have robins singing day and night in our gardens at the moment and the other day a beautiful blue tit sang me a lovely song.

My little rosy Bourkes have found a new spring song too.

Linda Heywood

Koala
Koala
I love spring because I love to watch the ducks, Sandhill Cranes, geese, swans, and other migratory birds settle in, many continue north to Alaska, Russia and beyond. We had taken a drive to a very rural area, I looked up, and it looked like the biggest crochet pattern I have ever seen, hundred of thousands - if not millions - of migratory birds forming this extraordinary pattern. It was beautiful.

Daylight savings time, keep it, never change it back again.

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Diana, I'm jealous. Sandhill cranes winter in the Okeefenokee Swamp near us. About 2 years ago we took a boat tour on my birthday and I got to see my first one. We had planned to return in January when there are thousands, but got tied up helping on the Tribal Grounds. We were only 15 miles from the Swamp entrance, but couldn't make it for another tour.

My husband asked me the other day if the cranes might still be there. If you're already seeing them in SD, we'll have to wait until next year.

Knowing the migratory flocks are large this year fills me with joy! I need to put out my hummingbird feeders. The Chief was doing that this past Sunday at the Tribal Grounds.

The wild plum blossoms have already come and gone, but the beautiful purple wisteria buds are opening and it's smells great. My azaleas are loaded with buds this year. If we don't have another freeze before Easter, they will be full.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Koala
Koala
When I worked for the newspaper I was introduced to the Cosumnes River Preserve near Galt CA. Then we did some volunteer work with them. Which in turn got us involved with the Eisenberg Preserve Woodbridge CA. I even got to see the Demoiselle crane, never seen in the US before. I had so many incredible experiences at the preserves. Watching the cranes fly in from their feeding grounds back to the wetlands at the preserve at sunset, against Mt. Diablo was a glorious site. Those were some of the most special days of my life. We also did a lot of volunteer work for the McFarland Living History Ranch which gave us an opportunity to actually live on the preserve and all it's splendor. We were on the Pacific flyway there, here were on a secondary which feeds to a primary, so we still have some opportunity to see migratory birds, not so much the sandhill cranes though. Haven't seen any on the ground, just in formation.

V
V
Hearing the wood thrush, one of the most beautiful bird songs.. and the frogs/ spring peepers at the pond... now it feels like spring

BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Welcome vhawk! I'm not sure if we have wood thrushes around here. Need to check my field guide, but I also love the frog sounds. After a good rain when they are singing their little hearts out, we always comment "Happy Frogs."

The honeysuckle and star jasmine are in full bloom and their fragrance is intoxicating, and somewhat overpowering. We keep our house open until June and can't get away from the scent. But I always enjoy it, even when a little too strong.

As children we plucked the honeysuckle blossoms to suck the nectar from the bottom. I must confess to still doing this, it's a Rite of Spring.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.