Next Thread
Print Thread
#670413 03/15/11 01:13 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Is the grade C going to far and you are now grounding your daughter or are you okay with it?

Tuculia Washington, Daughters Editor
Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
�Making a difference in the world one person at a time�
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
I believe that parents are making a mistake to punish poor grades. If the poor grades are the result of distractions, including too much focus on socializing, sports, television watching, etc. then it is obvious you need to explain that and make corrections in the child's study schedule. And yes, schedule study periods at home!

If the poor grades are the result of just "not getting" the subject matter, help her. If you can't because you don't have time, hook her up with a mentor, peer pal, tutor or after school time with the teacher. If you don't get the subject matter yourself, take the time to learn along with her. How can you expect your child to learn if you don't want to?

If the poor grades are the result of honest effort and, for some reason, inability to understand the material (developmental challenges or low IQ), then absolutely be okay with it. And express that you are proud of her efforts and that is what really matters: doing her best. Then, help her find other areas where she can excel and express her gifts and talents.

Parents have to get off the whole punishment and reward system. Learning and feeling good about your intellectual progress (being smarter) is the reward. Realizing you are behind your peers is punishment enough. Even if kids say they don't care, they honestly do care inside.

If a kid is self-motivated, she will learn and succeed on her own without anyone pushing her or dangling bribes that will need to get bigger and better to keep her interested. Teachers and parents forget that this information is fascinating if approached properly.

Last edited by Lori Chidori - Marriage; 03/15/11 04:42 PM.
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Completely! You must understand that a lot of parents push until the child can't be pushed anymore. And then they are stressed out. On my upcoming article on Friday you'll see how some parents push, and they are completely satisfied with the outcome. A balance must be created for the sake of the daughter. Thanks for sharing!

Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
My husband is all about the A's. He gives them such a hard time about it, but to be honest, if they were well rounded and had other interests and were enjoying their childhood (within reason). I'm ok with a C here or there. My daughter would bring home the worst grades at the beginning of the marking period, but would end the semester with an A.

She'll probably be really mad at me for sharing this, but her jr year of high school she took an AP American History class and pulled F's and D's ( a lot of the class did). When it came time to take the AP placement test - that girl pulled an A!!! She seems to like the pressure. ...Lol...

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
You created a balance for her. You also took the pressure off of her, which then let her know that it was okay. I like that approach! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by TCW; 03/15/11 11:42 PM.

Daughters Website
Daughters Forum

Live, Laugh and Love

Moderated by  Tuculia, Daughters Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.