Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
My boyfriend brought up an intriguing question.

I've been posting in essence questions from a book I own, for us to discuss. It happens to be questions we're talking about in my ethics class.

I am only posting about them *after* all my posts in the class forums are done. That is, I'm not posting them here, gathering your answers, and then going to make my class post. So I'm doing this completely "after the fact" after my homework is all submitted, so to speak.

But even so - is there an ethics issue involved in talking about what a for-pay class teaches you? That is, does Northeastern have some sort of a sole right to talk about these questions, and by revealing the essays looked at by the class, am I improperly "re-teaching" the class I suppose?

To me, if I learn something, I feel free to then help others learn it. That's what I do all day every day. I read books on topics and then help others learn what I've learned. I think of that as normal and natural.

But maybe there is something to consider in there? Should I instead be saying "Everyone go buy book X" and "everyone go take class Y" and send people to the source?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Heh, no. You are not teaching us, you are having personal discussions based on insights from a class. Those insights are yours to do with what you will.

Even if you were 'teaching' i don't think that could be legally begrudged. We are not earning credits from you. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear jilly - that was my thought too but I'm trying to see all angles smile I know I tend to lean heavily on the side of teach everything I find out. I have been scolded for example that my self help book reviews give away too much of the book's theory.

Low Carb Forum
E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
I certainly don't think that the university or anyone else can say that you can't discuss your learning. However, if you are quoting specifically from a book in your examples, I think that would be an ethical issue. You would need to talk about the issue in your own way using your own words which is what I am assuming you are doing.

How could any organization that teaches you expect you not to use that information in life? Is that not the purpose of learning? It is completely different when one works for a company that has a special formula they use for producing their product. That is not learning that you do to take into the world and share with others.

I do think it would be an issue as well if you were providing a formal class which others had paid for and you were using the same information that your instructor used in the course. But even then if you have assimilated some of that knowledge you would be using it in your course in your own way - in the way that you now perceive it. That would be OK. You just couldn't use his lecture notes, syllabus etc. without her permission and attribution.

Ethics is such a fascinating topic and there are so many facets to discuss about it. You've started some great threads about it Lisa.

Elizabeth Stuttard
Distance Learning
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dear Elizabeth -

Oh definitely I wouldn't cut and paste the chapters or examples from the book for everyone to read smile

Low Carb Forum

Moderated by  Patricia PN - DL Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/03/24 09:25 AM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.