Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
jklmno108133, stuvwx334403, stuvwx841917, dillonmatthews, thouriver
57202 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57200 Members
417 Forums
112998 Topics
800673 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
Rosie 66 729
Beetlemess 305
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 267
Nancy Roussy 171
Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 109
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 97
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 91
Susan - Meditation Editor 47
Sandra Investing/HFinance 45
Mona - Astronomy 41
Ad Income Supports Charity
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#628228 - 09/13/10 01:56 PM You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy
Vance Today in History Ed Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf

Loc: Gloversville, New York
Follow my link to read my article about polygamy and its darker side and then come back and take my poll and tell us if you feel it should be illegal or not.

Polygamy

Should Polygamy remain illegal?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 09/13/10 01:56 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Add You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Twitter Add You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Facebook Add You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to MySpace Add You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Del.icio.us Digg You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy Add You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Yahoo My Web Add You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Google Bookmarks Add You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Stumbleupon Add You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Reddit
#628232 - 09/13/10 02:33 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Vance Today in History Ed]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
I voted illegal.

This is a tough decision, for I do believe in freedom of religion. However, my upbringing and my country see it as illegal to have more than one spouse at a time.

This can really turn into a complex discussion. What if a man who has a dozen wives or so dies and the women and children have no income? Because of their beliefs the women may not be allowed to work outside the home. Do they all apply for welfare and other state aid? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Edited by Phyllis, Native American (09/13/10 02:34 PM)

Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Twitter Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Facebook Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to MySpace Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Del.icio.us Digg Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Yahoo My Web Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Google Bookmarks Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Stumbleupon Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Reddit
#628248 - 09/13/10 02:56 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Vance Today in History Ed]
Maureen-Twisted artist Offline
Gecko

Loc: Springfield, MA

Okay- I voted
It should be legal on the basis of frredom to practice any religion

I am sure I am going to hear stink over it but I believe that freedom of Religion is for ALL RELIGIONS not just the ones we pick or choose to fall into that little politcal correct package. I am not saying I agree or disagree with their ways, I am just saying that as a Pagan and a Religious outcast to my Catholic family- who are we to judge?

As long as no children are harmed- when a child is 13 getting shipped off to marry a 55 year old man or a 12 year old boy is sent to work the farms as a slave, then I got issues. Marriage or plural marriage at legal age is one thing.

Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Twitter Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Facebook Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to MySpace Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Del.icio.us Digg Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Yahoo My Web Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Google Bookmarks Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Stumbleupon Add Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy to Reddit
#628257 - 09/13/10 03:12 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Maureen-Twisted artist]
Lori - Marriage Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala

Loc: Orange, CA USA
I'm with Maureen on this one. People should be allowed to practice their faith according to the dictates of their hearts.

However, I'm concerned because the children of a polygamous marriage aren't given the freedom to choose. I had a friend from a polygamous marriage who was going to be forced to marry an old geezer when she was only 17. She ran away. The sister and brother who stayed behind are living in polygamous marriages.

BellaOnline.com Marriage
Twitter: @BellaMarriage

Dreams editor
Bellaonline.com Dreams site
The Dream Collective
Dreams: What are you trying to tell yourself?
Twitter: @tweetdreams4u
and @flutterby03

#628266 - 09/13/10 03:22 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Lori - Marriage]
Deanna Joseph Offline
Elephant

Loc: Southern California
HA HA... I'm sorry folks, I've watched too many episodes of Big Love. And I've known two polygamous couples (it ended up not working for them). I just don't honestly see how it could work - even if it was legal. Of course that's just me wink I suppose there are people who make it work, or it wouldn't be an issue.

I do believe that people should be able to practice their faith according to their heart. But I guess I've never understood the connection of polygamy to religion.

If you want to have an extra husband or wife, just do it, you don't have to make it a religious thing, right?

Edited by Inspiration Deanna (09/13/10 03:24 PM)

#628269 - 09/13/10 03:25 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Deanna Joseph]

I just do not see the reasoning for polygamy. Why not just practice "open marriage" as some couples do?

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

#628271 - 09/13/10 03:29 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Maureen-Twisted artist]
Deanna Joseph Offline
Elephant

These are really good points Maureen.

We can't just say one religion gets freedom, and the rest don't. So absolutely. On the basis of religious freedom, I agree.

One of my friends used to work in the middle east. There, the men could have as many wives as they wanted with the caveat that they had to be able to provided a home for each wife, and give her a comfortable life.

Though I have to admit, one of the things I like about the show, "Big Love" is that they have a sisterhood. Sometimes it feels like our society cuts us off a bit, and they are always there to support each other.

#628272 - 09/13/10 03:29 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Deanna Joseph Offline
Elephant

Originally Posted By: Phyllis, Native American
I just do not see the reasoning for polygamy. Why not just practice "open marriage" as some couples do?

That makes more sense to me too Phyllis. Maybe, though, it's a security thing. The husband working, having insurance, that kind of stuff?

#628278 - 09/13/10 03:35 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Deanna Joseph]

He would have to have one heck of a big insurance policy. whistle

#628280 - 09/13/10 03:37 PM Re: You Be the Judge Article - Polygamy [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
Maureen-Twisted artist Offline
Gecko

Loc: Springfield, MA
Originally Posted By: Phyllis, Native American

Here is another Mormon link to Palygamy

It has to do with gracing God with an abundant family..... so on so on.....

Oh yes and I LOVE watching Big Love on HBO. I got Vance hooked on it last year. LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  DonnaCrimeEditor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
What time does your child go to bed at night?
by Lisa - Moms
Moms
4 minutes 49 seconds ago
How Can I Make Time for Everything?
by Lisa - Moms
Moms
5 minutes 31 seconds ago
Shopping at Walmart Game
by Karm - SW USA Editor
Home Finance
Today at 01:17 PM
Game - What I Like About the Southwest USA
by Karm - SW USA Editor
Southwest USA
Today at 01:15 PM
All Things Southwestern USA Forum Word Game!
by Karm - SW USA Editor
Southwest USA
Today at 01:14 PM
Home and Garden in the Southwest USA
by Karm - SW USA Editor
Southwest USA
Today at 01:09 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
Today at 12:40 PM
7 Chaos Taming Strategies for ADD
by Connie - ADD/Sandwiches
Attention Deficit Disorder
Today at 10:21 AM
Investing in Water
by Sandra Investing/HFinance
Investing
Today at 10:10 AM
Personal Budget Types
by Sandra Investing/HFinance
Home Finance
Today at 10:08 AM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
3 registered (Ro Longstreet-Wicca, Rosie 66, Lisa - Moms), 86 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.