BellaOnline
Follow my link to read my article about polygamy and its darker side and then come back and take my poll and tell us if you feel it should be illegal or not.

Polygamy

I voted illegal.

This is a tough decision, for I do believe in freedom of religion. However, my upbringing and my country see it as illegal to have more than one spouse at a time.

This can really turn into a complex discussion. What if a man who has a dozen wives or so dies and the women and children have no income? Because of their beliefs the women may not be allowed to work outside the home. Do they all apply for welfare and other state aid? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Okay- I voted
It should be legal on the basis of frredom to practice any religion

I am sure I am going to hear stink over it but I believe that freedom of Religion is for ALL RELIGIONS not just the ones we pick or choose to fall into that little politcal correct package. I am not saying I agree or disagree with their ways, I am just saying that as a Pagan and a Religious outcast to my Catholic family- who are we to judge?

As long as no children are harmed- when a child is 13 getting shipped off to marry a 55 year old man or a 12 year old boy is sent to work the farms as a slave, then I got issues. Marriage or plural marriage at legal age is one thing.
I'm with Maureen on this one. People should be allowed to practice their faith according to the dictates of their hearts.

However, I'm concerned because the children of a polygamous marriage aren't given the freedom to choose. I had a friend from a polygamous marriage who was going to be forced to marry an old geezer when she was only 17. She ran away. The sister and brother who stayed behind are living in polygamous marriages.
HA HA... I'm sorry folks, I've watched too many episodes of Big Love. And I've known two polygamous couples (it ended up not working for them). I just don't honestly see how it could work - even if it was legal. Of course that's just me wink I suppose there are people who make it work, or it wouldn't be an issue.

I do believe that people should be able to practice their faith according to their heart. But I guess I've never understood the connection of polygamy to religion.

If you want to have an extra husband or wife, just do it, you don't have to make it a religious thing, right?
I just do not see the reasoning for polygamy. Why not just practice "open marriage" as some couples do?

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
These are really good points Maureen.

We can't just say one religion gets freedom, and the rest don't. So absolutely. On the basis of religious freedom, I agree.

One of my friends used to work in the middle east. There, the men could have as many wives as they wanted with the caveat that they had to be able to provided a home for each wife, and give her a comfortable life.

Though I have to admit, one of the things I like about the show, "Big Love" is that they have a sisterhood. Sometimes it feels like our society cuts us off a bit, and they are always there to support each other.

Originally Posted By: Phyllis, Native American
I just do not see the reasoning for polygamy. Why not just practice "open marriage" as some couples do?

That makes more sense to me too Phyllis. Maybe, though, it's a security thing. The husband working, having insurance, that kind of stuff?
He would have to have one heck of a big insurance policy. whistle

Here is another Mormon link to Palygamy

It has to do with gracing God with an abundant family..... so on so on.....

Oh yes and I LOVE watching Big Love on HBO. I got Vance hooked on it last year. LOL

Ah..... thanks for the link Maureen.

It's all very complex!

And I can't WAIT for Big Love to return! What have they gotten themselves into LOL!

Could *you* live in a polygamous or open relationship?

I'm kinda possessive, needy and insecure when it comes to my man. It would have to be a very special other lady in our lives to make it work.
Or a very special man wink BWA HA HA HA HA!!

I honestly don't see myself sharing my man!
LOL. Too funny, Deanna. But in some cultures, there are multiple husbands for one wife! I can't imagine how that would work.
Originally Posted By: Chi-Japanese Food
LOL. Too funny, Deanna. But in some cultures, there are multiple husbands for one wife! I can't imagine how that would work.

LMAO- let's be honest ladies, most men can't even handle the one wife (emotionally as well as other ways)imagine trying to juggle more than one?

I am open minded as I said but I can tell you this- I don't share!! The thing is that they are around this all their lives so it does not seem unnormal to them.

Can it be religious freedom though in America because there is no religion that actively condones it right now. Sure it's in the Bible but there are a lot of things in the Bible that have gone by the wayside.

I believe the last religion in America to approve a polygamous marriage was the Mormons and they stopped it in 1890. So, if no religion allows it, can it still be considered religious freedom to do it?

I understand your view but is Paganism reconized as a religion by most? Isn't considered devil worship to Christians rather than religion? You know as well as I do that all you need is 3 people to gather to form a church so as a church you would be reconized, correct?
It doesn't have to fall under "religious freedom" but plain freedom. Homosexuality and transgendering are freedoms. If people want to share spouses, aren't they considered "swingers" and that isn't against any laws. Or is it? *shrug*

You're right, Maureen. Most men can't handle one wife. Mine says there is no way he could. He's got his hands full with me.

But my friend's father had five wives. They all lived under the same roof but had separate bedrooms. Most of the wives got along very well, like best friends or sisters. Two did not and that caused problems. But the wives liked being able to share the workload (household and sexual duties).

In Mormon history, the polygamous leaders kept separate houses for most of their wives because of the pecking order issue.

Why would a man *want* more than one wife? Aside from the obvious benefit.
Originally Posted By: Chi-Japanese Food
Why would a man *want* more than one wife? Aside from the obvious benefit.

HA HA.... I asked my husband this, and he said there is no other reason smile

Interesting; why should it fall under religious freedom? It's simply a lifestyle preference, and as long as it "harm-none," then why not. I suppose if a wife got fed up, she could leave?

I started watching a SciFi show called "Caprica" (an offshoot of Battlestar Galactica), and they had some sort of marriage, but I can't remember what it was called. But it was basically just a house full of people (men and women) who all decided to be married to each other. No one seemed to think it a big deal.
"I started watching a SciFi show called "Caprica" (an offshoot of Battlestar Galactica), and they had some sort of marriage, but I can't remember what it was called."

A Harem?
HA HA... no, not a "harem." There were several men, and women, and they were all in one big marriage. A big marriage - that would be a good name LOL!
Or "Open House"?
Or "Open House"?

HA HA HA.... I think I saw a bad "70s" movie about that LOL!
Do you watch "Jersey Shore"? Now there is an open house! - and no privacy either!
I have a couple of reasons why it should remain illegal. I especially don't think it is fair to the women. Could easily cause the women to play up to the man for attention, etc. Must cause low self esteem if not the "favored" wife. I think it is just another way for men to use women however/whenever they want. Just seems very dirty and ugly to me.

Also, spiritually there should only be one man and one woman (probably should have been number 1 reason :)).

I very much am against any arrangement that a woman is forced into - happening all across the globe. Abuse in one of its worse forms, IMO.
Let them do what they want as long as they don't try to push their agenda on others. I personally don't believe in marriage. 2 hubbies is way more than any woman should ever have to endure!

These people just need to be honest about what they really want which is to be able to Firetruck whoever they want without consequences.

Why marry anybody. Just firetruck who the heck you want and stop kidding yourselves about wanting any spouse.
© BellaOnline Forums