L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Not getting a lot of input here in the Japanese forum. frown

Please let me know what type of recipes you'd like to see on the Japanese Food site!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
Is Chop Suey Japanese?

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Um, nope! Chop Suey is Chinese American. Stir-fried vegetables and meat served over crispy noodles?

Yaki soba is a close Japanese version but it uses pan-fried (soft) noodles!

Japanese food, other than sushi and teriyaki bowls, is not too popular, I'm afraid. The number one favorite foreign cuisine in America is Italian, followed by Chinese.

V
VWR Offline
V
In answer to your 'lack of input', I'm not surprised. I traveled quite a few times to Japan when I was stationed in Hawaii. Most manufacturers and recipe authors ignore that tempura is made with rice flour not wheat flower My favorite are sukiyaki, tempura, and gyoza in that order. VWR

Tiger
Tiger
Hello VWR, welcome to the BellaOnline Forum and I am glad to see you have started to post.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I'm not familiar with Japanese food at all. I'm a burger and pizza baby! whistle

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
V
VWR Offline
V
Thank you, Angela. I've been to Japan and points far east several times. I love Japanese and Chinese food. I can't describe the difference between them but know it when I see it! :) VWR

L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Hi and thanks for posting! I was saving the sukiyaki recipe for the fall or winter months as it is a warm weather dish.

Even among Japanese and Chinese cuisines, there are regional differences (much like American cuisine has its southern cooking, Tex-Mex, etc.) but there are major differences between Japanese and Chinese cuisine. It's like comparing Italian to French cooking.

Japanese food, I must admit, is very limited in scope compared to Chinese cooking. But consider that Japan is a series of islands whereas China is a huge country that covers a vast geographic area that has many different food resources.

In Japan, rice is the staple of every meal, including breakfast (traditionally). Small dishes, which accompany the rice, usually focus on seasonal foods. Freshness is paramount in Japanese cuisine, which is odd because the Japanese also have a love of pickled and fermented foods. Servings are small and beautifully presented. Key seasonings include fish stock, ginger, salt, rice vinegar, soy sauce, soybean curd, soybean paste, wasabi and seaweeds. Flavors are subtle and delicate (some say bland.) There is some use of red chili but very little. Dishes tend to be low in fats. Many of the dishes are vegetarian (due to a national ban on meat in past history) or seafood-based (did I mention Japan is an island?) Meat is eaten today but prepared in small portions.

Chinese cuisine depends upon the regional ingredients. In Shanghai, there is a lot of seafood. In the inner regions, the dishes tend to focus on pork or duck. The cuisine of some regions use a lot of spicy hot chilis, while in others, the flavors are mild. However, Chinese cooking tends to use a lot of fat (sesame oil, pork fat) which results in richer flavors. Chinese chefs like to balance flavors with their opposites (hot/cold, sweet/sour, hot/mild) in a dish. Common ingredients in Chinese cooking include garlic, ginger, sesame oil, black bean paste, shrimp paste, soy sauce, hot chili paste, chicken/pork/beef broth, salted turnip, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, 5-spice powder (star anise, etc.) and more. Foods are served family style most often. In large quantities.

In both cuisines, ingredients were chopped into small pieces for quicker cooking (less fuel to use) and easier picking with chopsticks.

The flavors of Japanese and Chinese food are vastly different. Most people prefer Chinese food, perhaps due to the fuller "mouthfeel" of the food. Japanese food is so lightly flavored with little fat that people often miss the point of it which is to enjoy the flavor of the fresh food instead of a hodge-podge of seasoning that mask it. There is an art to preparing and enjoying Japanese food. You eat, savor and appreciate it--and not just goggle it down.

But I also love the sumptuous flavors of Chinese food. I hope you get the chance to try both soon!

Last edited by Chi-Japanese Food; 08/28/10 02:39 AM.
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Sounds like Japanese food is very healthy

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
L
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
L
Yes, walkinggranny. Japanese food is considered very healthy. In fact, the Japanese enjoy one of the longest lifespans among all the races due to their healthy diet. This is changing as Western influences affect how younger generations eat (fast food, meats, simple carbs, processed foods and preservatives).

But most people still like the taste of Chinese food better because it is so highly seasoned with an assortment of spices. And so much of traditional Japanese food is seasoned basically with salty (soy) or seafood (fish or seaweed) flavors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.