Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Originally Posted By: Shannon L. Wolf
I'm sorry about what happened to your husband -- there seems to be this entitlement-to-terrorize thing expanding in the black culture. And I feel that the pi�ata you described so well is filled...
Some might say that whites have had it coming...and maybe we do, as a race, not necessarily as deserving individuals. Perhaps we have accrued some real bad karma, through our historical treatment of blacks, Native Americans, Chinese and other cultures that we have invaded upon, destroyed, enslaved and refused to help. We are bound to implode...we need to be aware; prepared, but not panic.

Entitlement to terrorize. I'm sorry that you felt compelled to single out "the black culture" when so many are doing the same thing.

I'm also sorry about what happened to your husband, but there are spots even here in Virginia that I don't go to because of harrassment by other races. I agree that we need to be aware and not panic, but we also need to be aware of our own stereotyping.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
As I've mentioned before and I had thought fairly clearly. If you carry out an action, it is the action first. Period. If you're black, white, hispanic, latin american, that's secondary if that.

Here, hands down, 100% it is the black community. The actions are over and over and over again that happen to be done by the black community. They aren't white, asian, Hmung, those races are pretty much getting along and they offer help to eachother. The black community, here, sticks together in a group and intimidate, follow, bully, shout, call names - it can't/wont be brushed under the rug simply because they are black. At least not here.

If it was being done by any other race, you bet I'd be talking about that too.

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 07/27/10 06:02 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
Parakeet
Parakeet
Yes, thank you, Eleise. It's not about singling out black people. It's about honestly discussing our experience with black behaviors and how these behaviors have/are affecting us and the American nation.

As I understand it, this thread is about Sherrod's behaviors...and her representation of black culture in America, in general. From a sentient point of view. We feel hatred pointed at us, and we need to express our feelings. It has become politically incorrect for whites to notice that we are hated by many blacks. But if it's true, it's true. We feel what we feel. Sherrod has been very clear that she separates whites as our "own kind." She said it...before the NAACP, and got amens and head nods when she said she withheld help from a white man. This is racism. We see and feel many ominous things coming in the future with racism as the basis. I was also very clear in a previous post how sad I was that many black people who just want to live peaceful lives will get drawn into a movement against whites.

It is also my distinct feeling that our government is cruel against its own citizens...all races. All of us. Many blacks don't have any idea what whites are subjected to by our government. It's not in the news...and the separation perpetuates by not seeking to learn. We just want it all to stop. We want love and harmony to ring among everyone. That's what self-realization does. But wanting it doesn't make it so. Everyone has to want the same thing in order for it to come to be...but that isn't happening. And it's sad.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Nothing personal ladies, since I'm finding particular comments particularly offense here, I'm gracefully backing out of this conversation.

Have a peaceful evening.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
This is probably one of the most concise posts I've read in a long while on this topic.

Many posts get bauled down with anger and hautiness when it hits too close to home. If you can just say what's currently happening to you what you see or feel coming, how you'd like to make it better, without biasedness , that seems to make more progress.

Personally, If I walked into a groccery store and some white man or woman had a gun, knife pointed at someone else or followed a person of the opposite sex into a restroom and the police were called, and someone posted about this and again with more of these things happening, there wouldn't be one fiber in my body that would find this or a crooked politician's mindset (white or not) offensive. I don't think I'd even blink. I'd just think, what on earth, how do we get rid of these people???

We're living in a community, which in a way is a gift of insight, not a blog or with family and friends agreeing with me knodding their heads, but a group largely diversified that, even if they speak broken english, feel frustrated and seperated from their gov't now that they are here and feel a looming (my word)supression of what they feel and what they are experiencing. Which ironically, because the different races are feeling the same thing, they are coming together. I just put that together...

One man said, "They didn't tell us it was going to be like this. It was better in my own country." I emplore immigrants and people already living here, to bring with them skills of self-relience! there is coming, civil and social unrest. And you're absolutely 100% right, you're not going to find these things in the headlines.

"If it's not in the headlines then it's not true. The one man that is and what he tells you to believe is what the people will prompted to believe is so." It won't be.

I tell my husband not to tell me too much about the news but if there is something that relates to what I'm picking up then show me a picture or the proof - the affirmation basically.

When you see a video with the words streaming out of a person's mouth, research it enough that it's not taken out of context (which is a huge free-bie get out of jail card these days)or walk the streets and live it and aren't true to yourself in at least acknowledging it exists, whether it's something you really want to beleive or not, that's tragic. Because it's there with or without your concent.

I feel strongly the word of the govt. oppose eachother. They may say, they are against racism. I feel they have every intention of making this an agenda of something they not only want byt need to keep alive.

While the passions of the people are distracted against one another, they'll be doing other things that you won't even notice until it's too late. If they keep telling you how much they understand how badly you had it, thowing out a cookie basically, then you'll haven't an incling into researching for yourself, power, evil and greed - whatever color it comes in.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I am sorry Dianne was offended by particular comments in this thread. Last night I re-read each post closely and objectively. Like the President, I'm of mixed races. I had to ask myself if that broadens my objectivity, or clouds it.

I'm confused as to which comments were particularly offensive. We have shared our personal experiences and feelings based on those. I would hope the statement "his own kind" would be offensive to anyone of any color. A news commentator asked a very good question. "'His own kind?' would that be an American?" For those of us like President Obama who are racially mixed, who are our "own kind?"

I'm not certain there were ulterior motives about societal reactions to this. It started with the NAACP denouncing the Tea Party movement as racist. Apparently their leadership has never attended a Tea Party event, otherwise they would know those in attendance represent all segments of society to some degree.

In any organization or event with a huge number of participants there will be at least a small element who are elitist and/or racist. Sadly, this is part of the human condition and some will not relinquish this mindset. Over the years, the NAACP and its members have made numerous racially charged statements. I live in the Deep South, their comments and activities seem to get a lot of news coverage down here. Just an observation from someone who has lived in SC and GA all her life. One example that comes to mind is their push for the firing of a government official who, based on Webster's definition, correctly used the word "niggardly." There was no racial context in what he was saying. This official was forced to resign based solely on his usage of one word (used correctly) that some found offensive. Not the definition of the word, Not how the word was used, Not the sentence the word was used in, but merely the sound of the word.

The official appeared to be a White American. I use "appeared" as I don't know his ethnic heritage. I "appear" to be white because I look like my Father who is, and nothing like my Mother who isn't. I asked myself back then, had his skin tone been a little darker, would those calling for his immediate termination have actually looked the word up in the dictionary, and defended him for using it correctly. A complete hullabaloo about "racial sensitivity" ensued over the mere sound of one word in the English language.

Perhaps all of us being a little less "racially sensitive" would curb some of this strife. But a reduction in racial sensitivity cannot happen while some leaders continue to use it at every opportunity to consolidate their followers and reap donations. These are the "pot-stirrers." They seem to intentionally blow things out of proportion to keep emotions and racial sensitivity high and donations for yet another racial equality battle coming in.

Racial sensitivity is an internal issue for me. Being a White/Native/Black American I've grown a thick skin and I'm not so easily offended. However, I will not be less sensitive to hypocrisy, racial, religious, or otherwise.

As stated by the person who acquired and aired the video of Mrs. Sherrod's speech to NAACP members, illuminating hypocrisy within that organization was the basis for the video's release. The organization had just denounced another as racist. Yet at its own meeting tolerated agreement and chuckles from its own members as Mrs. Sherrod recalled not helping a farmer to the fullest extent because he was white and seemed to be talking down to her. Comments of agreement can be heard after her saying "his own kind." The point being, prior to denoucing another organization as racist based on the actions of a few participants, one should perhaps check its own members, activities and guest speakers.

The NAACP strongly denounced the administration for demanding Mrs. Sherrod's resignation. However, they were completely silent on the racially insensitive verbage in the portions of her speech that have been released. It makes you wonder what was in the part edited out, and how racially flamable that may have been. If it was appropriate, why remove it?

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
Thanks ICP for taking the time to do, well, the hard stuff and getting personal. It's so fast these days not everyone can or will take the time to do that.

With the "Shriley" thing, my husband first asked me to take a look at a video. I didn't know then it was Shirley. All he said was, "Do you think this person is legitimate or not?" I said, "Well, not for the most part, but have you heard the expression, 'broken open?'"

I wanted to par my feelings with more video if he had it and I saw two partitions. One was where she must have mentioned 2-3 times how a white farmer was acting all suprior to her - well...

Kind of came from a farming community and they talk down to anything that wiggles. If you're a professional, AND my gosh, within the Gov. head of something, at least know the mind-set of the people you are supposed to be there to represent and help and change effectively what it is you may have a balanced vision of improving.

I grew up in a farming community, left only to come back to a farming community that had a judge that took my daughter away from me while trying to get out of a terriblely bad relationship because I didn't fit in according to what they felt the right way to be was to be....want to go up against that??? If I let that and too many other situation to mention define me with anger and pride, then, that is what I'll stand for and be last remembered for - anry and prideful.

I had no intention then nor now to agree or be something that is so stuck full of (here I'll just go ahead and censor this...) it's hard to breath!

I still love the foundation of the farming community, misguided or not and my daughter will find me again someday. That's the hope the openness that has me get up and go forward each day.

I am a mut - mixed breed. Oh well, that doesn't excuse me, not now or in the future and if someone happens, especailly now to be sensitive to racial issues, I encourage them to walk outside of their own city on college campuses and take a good look around. Even at 12 and 13 - they are def. mingling. So whatever the beef is, is losing the battle. But you don't have to take my word for it.

What we'll be seeing in the next 3-5 years will have more to do with immigrants and races of countries than can actually bring the US financing. Mark these words.

Angry music, videos, movies, TV programs, attitudes and races -I predict and advise if you're investing in, not to. They are on their way out! That's regardless of whether or not you chose to partake or not/support or not - they are on their way out.

People are sick and they are tired - to the point where death doesn't seem like such a bad thing anymore because they want something better. In my profession - I haven't anyone to be loyal to to keep what I'm experienceing, hearing and feeling at a distance or out of the public eye.

As these attitudes become gradually on their way out, there will be casualties. It isn't going to happen over night. Racial wars, social unrest will happen, but the groups that will billow are those that end up using their talents - the goodness, creativety to rebuild and survive.

I actualy see the Native American Indian and the Amish rising to the some extent of the lead with an Eastern financial backing.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Hi ICP,
In answer to your question about what I was offended about, it was the statement "entitlment to terrorize thing expanding in the black community. A few other comments as well but that was the main one.

I am very happy that you're comfortable in your own "skin" as we say. I think that's wonderful. It's really not necessary for you to analyze why I may or may not be offended or upset.
I'm offended by words even black people use about themselves, I think it's deragatory, but it's my right to be offended by it and it's their right to use it.

I guess going away to college when I was younger and being shouted at by people because of my race was not particularly fun and it sometimes will color my judgement, just as the life experience of everyone in this group has shaped theirs. There is a lot more that I could go into that happens to this day, but I chose not to.

Out of respect, I chose not to continue the conversation because everyone is entitled to their own opinion to which I do not have to agree. I'm sure that you are aware that just because one person does not understand why someone is offended, does not make it any less offensive - its all about perspective. No one knows what has happened in someone's life to cause them to have a reaction to statements made by others. I happen to enjoy reading Elesie's columns and posts so instead of getting into a long drawn out discussion on something that I may not agree with, I prefer to leave it as I did and not continue my portion of the conversation. Not that I'm afraid of the conversation - it's an all day reality for me, but as far as this conversation, I enjoy reading everyone's points of few and whether or not I agree, but this is one topic for right this moment, I would rather graciously exit from.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Elephant
That is the perfect statement! I can't spell btw - still see double!

It is ALL about Perspective.

And should the same topic come about a week, months and especially years if not decades later, any single person would have a differnt sensation, let alone opinion.

I think that is why they call it the plane of illusion - free to feel and enact among oppositional forces = life!

Last edited by Eleise - Clairvoyance; 07/29/10 10:06 PM.

Karen Elleise
Clairvoyance Editor
Clairvoyance Site
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Dianne, thank you so much for your response and graciousness. Being a tax practitioner for 20 years, I had the pleasure of many rational, objective conversations with clients of all ethnic origins and nationalities. I'm not certain if you read my post in another thread describing how friends of many years went ballistic on me a few weeks ago when I posed a question about the President.

Our experiences most certainly affect our perspectives. Having those open and honest discussions in the past, it is alarming to see a dramatic reduction in "our" (collective) ability for open, honest, objective discussion about racial issues.

For me, if feels like the pot is being stirred intentionally to keep the populace emotional. And when we are emotional, double standards, hypocrisy, and prejudice add salt to the wounds. It clouds objectivity and restricts effective communication.

It's truly shameful there are so many "spoons" stirring that pot. And it frustrates me further to realize the hands holding those spoons are of all colors. Being completely honest, I too have been subjected to blatant racial intimidation by blacks, only a few, but since a child. I grew up in a moderately rural area and attended public schools historically for, and predominantly of black students. It also happened a time or two in my tax practice, and was squelched immediately. My clients knew, or found out quickly, prejudice at any level was NOT allowed in my office, nor intimidation, or bickering.

All segments of our society have a portion who feel superior for whatever reason and the need to elevate themselves through intimidation, and the threat of violence. For some, they seem to feel entitled to instill fear, and/or be completely devoid of consideration and civility to those who are different. And both of us know how it feels to be subjected to this type of behavior.

What I have noticed in SC and GA is a double standard in the publicity of intimidation and violence. I have suspicions a few of those spoons stirring the pot are held by members of the Press, and agree as well that double standards exist in all societal segments. White on Black intimidation and violence was for decades omitted or downplayed by the media. But in the last few decades this has been reversed. Both of these are wrong. Intimidation and violence should be reported thoroughly and objectively and most importantly prosecuted the same.

I'll be somewhat presumptious in speaking for not only myself, but Elleise and Shannon, in saying our posts were not intentionally offensive. But as you pointed out, there is no way for us to know what may be offensive to another. We shared our experiences and societal trends we recognize associated with these experiences. Speaking for myself, commenting, as objectively as I can, on hypocrisy, double standards, and racial sensitivity at the least may illuminate the issues, but hopefully contribute to a better understanding of different points of view.

My apologies if my posts here are not as objective as they could be. I'm human and despite my best efforts, these issues do affect me emotionally as well.

Last edited by lcp012586; 07/29/10 11:35 PM.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Elleise - Clairvoyance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Trailer for "Limbo" Starring Simon Baker
by Angie - 06/02/24 09:09 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 06/01/24 11:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 06/01/24 04:09 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 06/01/24 08:53 AM
Bandana Essentials
by Angie - 05/30/24 08:26 PM
French Open Tennis Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 05/30/24 01:20 AM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/29/24 05:24 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.