Money
News & Politics
Relationships
Religion & Spirituality
Sports
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Newest Members
Manisha Pal, Rain_2014, EmmaIsherwood, fit4fashion, ashjoielee
57316 Registered Users
Forum Stats
57317 Members
417 Forums
113298 Topics
804040 Posts

Max Online: 537 @ 07/02/12 11:21 AM
Top Posters (30 Days)
"Rosie" 719
Connie - ADD/Sandwiches 392
Beetlemess 286
Jana - Creativity Editor 286
Ro Longstreet-Wicca 78
Lisa LowCarb / VideoGames 60
Dorcy 59
Mona - Astronomy 49
Nancy Roussy 47
Linu 47
Ad Income Supports Charity
Topic Options
#597143 - 04/24/10 06:49 PM Dolls With Disabilities
Helen Doll Making Editor Offline

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Loc: Missouri, USA
I have posted a new article on the Doll Making Site, Dolls With Disabilities. Please read it and let me know what you think. If you have any resources to share on this topic, please do.

Thanks,

Add Dolls With Disabilities to Twitter Add Dolls With Disabilities to Facebook Add Dolls With Disabilities to MySpace Add Dolls With Disabilities to Del.icio.us Digg Dolls With Disabilities Add Dolls With Disabilities to Yahoo My Web Add Dolls With Disabilities to Google Bookmarks Add Dolls With Disabilities to Stumbleupon Add Dolls With Disabilities to Reddit
#597160 - 04/24/10 09:47 PM Re: Dolls With Disabilities [Re: Helen Doll Making Editor]
patashoo Offline

Hi, I think I know what you mean about this type of doll. I'm sure I've seen them in films on tv where a child is ill in hospital etc. I think it would probably be a good idea but one would have to be very careful not to be criticised or taken the wrong way. The child the doll was made for (which is obviously the important factor here) would probably benefit depending on the disability. A tough one to judge. Maybe it would be worth contacting children's hospitals or nursing staff to hear what they have to say. An interesting project. Good Luck.

Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Twitter Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Facebook Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to MySpace Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Dolls With Disabilities Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Stumbleupon Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Reddit
#597161 - 04/24/10 10:17 PM Re: Dolls With Disabilities [Re: patashoo]
Phyllis Doyle Burns Offline
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity

Loc: Reno, NV
Hi Helen. Your articles and project really intriques me. I did a lot of research on dolls made by traditional Native American tribes. Quite often, dolls were given to little children as learning tools. For example: dolls made with no faces. This gave the little girl the chance to imagine her doll with the personality she wanted the doll to have; no clothes or a plain dress to allow the girl to design the type clothing she wanted the doll to have; long straight hair not styled so the child could style the hair the way she wanted; etc.

Then I got to thinking that maybe "doll parts and wigs" would be a good idea. Make cloth dolls with just the head and body and let the child attach the arms and legs - or not. Maybe a child with only one leg would want her doll to have only one leg. The child with no hair would choose to have no hair on the doll. All kinds of ideas would come from the child.

Of course, this takes away from our own creativity - but look at the possible creative abilities and therapy it would give to the child.

I remember when I was little, paper dolls were my favorite toy. I could dress the doll the way I wanted to depending on my mood or my wishes.

Giving the child the opportunity to create can be a wonderful and therepuetic tool.

I think the possibilities here are a great opportunity to explore the realm of childhood, disabilities, teaching, learning, and healing. Psychologists often give dolls to a child in order to learn from the child what are their secret fears, desires, etc. This would not only help the child, but, help the parent and doctor or therepist to understand what the child needs or is thinking/fearing.

Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Twitter Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Facebook Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to MySpace Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Del.icio.us Digg Re: Dolls With Disabilities Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Yahoo My Web Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Google Bookmarks Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Stumbleupon Add Re: Dolls With Disabilities to Reddit
#603569 - 06/05/10 07:05 PM Re: Dolls With Disabilities [Re: Phyllis Doyle Burns]
jerseygrl Offline

Hi mom, So I just read this article and I found a web site that has accessories for dolls with disabilities. It looks like there are crutches and wheelchairs, etc. Here's the linkBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

#603627 - 06/06/10 12:58 PM Re: Dolls With Disabilities [Re: jerseygrl]

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Hi jerseygrl,

I had a feeling this was you as soon as I saw the name! Very cool. grin

Please send me the link in an email and I can put it in here.

Thanks, Tweets

#610906 - 07/15/10 11:51 PM Re: Dolls With Disabilities [Re: Helen Doll Making Editor]
charmedp3 Offline

Loc: The Jersey Shore
hi all i found this site with all kinds of things. By the way i love lookin for stuff so if anyone needs help let me know. Once again i can't post the link so if someone could tell me how that would be great! Elaine

Edited by charmedp3 (07/16/10 12:00 AM)

#617792 - 08/16/10 04:10 AM Re: Dolls With Disabilities [Re: Helen Doll Making Editor]
Katzzz Offline

Hi Helen, I'm very interested in making dolls with disabilities. I'm making cloth dolls & thinking of making one like me. I'm missing my right hand from birth & would have just loved this when I was little. As you mentioned in your article, all dolls were blond, blue eyes & "normal". I have green eyes & no hand! lol Not very many dolls like that! Will send pics of my finished doll if interested. Thanks, Lyn

#618003 - 08/16/10 06:49 PM Re: Dolls With Disabilities [Re: Katzzz]

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet

Hi Lyn,

Welcome to the forum, and, YES, I would love to see photos of your finished doll!

Moderator:  Helen Doll Making Editor 

Want to reply? Register as a Forum Member - it's quick, free and fun!
Brand New Posts
Replace one word... (new game)
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Replace one word (Music Titles)
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
Final Giggleween post: Army of Darkness!
by Rick - Funny Flicks
Comedy Movies
What did you SPEND money on today?
by Nancy Roussy
Frugal Living
05:40 PM
What Is Space Weather? *new article*
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
04:50 PM
Word From Last Letter Game
by "Rosie"
Contests & Sweepstakes
04:24 PM
First Letter-Last Letter
by "Rosie"
Attention Deficit Disorder
04:08 PM
Cosmic Halloween Tour . . . If you dare
by Mona - Astronomy
Astronomy
03:51 PM
Ogden garden verse game
by xmeecosmic
Container Gardening
02:00 PM
Daily World Peace Group Meditation
by Susan - Meditation Editor
Meditation
12:40 PM
Register to Post!
Want to post? For security reasons you need to Register as a Forum Member. It's quick, easy and free!
Forum Activities
Book Clubs
Trivia Contests
Who's Online
1 registered (Rosie52), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ad Income Supports Charity

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.