Next Thread
Print Thread
#597143 04/24/10 02:49 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I have posted a new article on the Doll Making Site, Dolls With Disabilities. Please read it and let me know what you think. If you have any resources to share on this topic, please do.

Thanks,

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
P
Hi, I think I know what you mean about this type of doll. I'm sure I've seen them in films on tv where a child is ill in hospital etc. I think it would probably be a good idea but one would have to be very careful not to be criticised or taken the wrong way. The child the doll was made for (which is obviously the important factor here) would probably benefit depending on the disability. A tough one to judge. Maybe it would be worth contacting children's hospitals or nursing staff to hear what they have to say. An interesting project. Good Luck.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Hi Helen. Your articles and project really intriques me. I did a lot of research on dolls made by traditional Native American tribes. Quite often, dolls were given to little children as learning tools. For example: dolls made with no faces. This gave the little girl the chance to imagine her doll with the personality she wanted the doll to have; no clothes or a plain dress to allow the girl to design the type clothing she wanted the doll to have; long straight hair not styled so the child could style the hair the way she wanted; etc.

Then I got to thinking that maybe "doll parts and wigs" would be a good idea. Make cloth dolls with just the head and body and let the child attach the arms and legs - or not. Maybe a child with only one leg would want her doll to have only one leg. The child with no hair would choose to have no hair on the doll. All kinds of ideas would come from the child.

Of course, this takes away from our own creativity - but look at the possible creative abilities and therapy it would give to the child.

I remember when I was little, paper dolls were my favorite toy. I could dress the doll the way I wanted to depending on my mood or my wishes.

Giving the child the opportunity to create can be a wonderful and therepuetic tool.

I think the possibilities here are a great opportunity to explore the realm of childhood, disabilities, teaching, learning, and healing. Psychologists often give dolls to a child in order to learn from the child what are their secret fears, desires, etc. This would not only help the child, but, help the parent and doctor or therepist to understand what the child needs or is thinking/fearing.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
J
J
Hi mom, So I just read this article and I found a web site that has accessories for dolls with disabilities. It looks like there are crutches and wheelchairs, etc. Here's the linkBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi jerseygrl,

I had a feeling this was you as soon as I saw the name! Very cool. grin

Please send me the link in an email and I can put it in here.

Thanks, Tweets

hi all i found this site with all kinds of things. By the way i love lookin for stuff so if anyone needs help let me know. Once again i can't post the link so if someone could tell me how that would be great! Elaine

Last edited by charmedp3; 07/15/10 08:00 PM.
K
K
Hi Helen, I'm very interested in making dolls with disabilities. I'm making cloth dolls & thinking of making one like me. I'm missing my right hand from birth & would have just loved this when I was little. As you mentioned in your article, all dolls were blond, blue eyes & "normal". I have green eyes & no hand! lol Not very many dolls like that! Will send pics of my finished doll if interested. Thanks, Lyn

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Lyn,

Welcome to the forum, and, YES, I would love to see photos of your finished doll!

Moderated by  Helen Doll Making Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.