I was ready to print up some of the wonderful Down Syndrome "We're More Alike" awareness posters in the NDSC Poster Contest Gallery today to help celebrate World Down Syndrome Day on 3/21/2010 and discovered that they are no longer available.

I read more about it at Terri Mauro's Special Needs Blog:
Down Syndrome Poster Contest Hijacked by Bullies

The contest featured more than 200 posters created using pictures of individuals aged infant to adult; viewers could vote for their top three choices.

Apparently, an online predator or group of bullies altered posters from the contest and posted them to a forum where they were the subject of ridicule and degradation. Families are contacting advertisers whose ads were carried by the hosting website. The NDSC is considering a variety of actions to take in response.

I feel fortunate that the offensive forum was removed before I saw how the posters were changed, but, remembering the dignity and beauty of the individuals pictured in the NDSC gallery, feel anger and disgust over the incident that must delay my comments about it.

Here's hoping in the next few weeks that there is overwhelming good news to report about World Down Syndrome Day events that will again inspire and delight us all.

Pam W
SE of Seattle

Pamela Wilson - Children with Special Needs Editor
Visit the Children with Special Needs Website