Next Thread
Print Thread
#583567 02/09/10 10:37 AM
M
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
M
About 2 months ago a cat showed up at my house. I was reluctant about taking her in since I just lost my cat of 14 years and wasn't ready for another. However, since I am a "softy" I went ahead and made her a member of my home.

I have a few questions regarding her behavior:
1. She eats like there's no tomorrow.
2. She is looking to go in my closet, or somewhere "hidden."
(This behavior is "new")
3. I don't have a litter box, since I put her out but she has pooped twice in the house (I was not a happy camper since it STINKS really bad! LOL) So, I am thinking about getting one.

I can't tell (since my last cat was a male) but I'm thinking perhaps she's pregnant?
(Right now she is scratching to get into my closet.)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
It sounds like she may be, you could see if her nipples are larger and pinker, that's a clear sign. She also might be very loving, and the increase in appetite and 'nesting' behaviour are all signs - but that would mean she was late into the pregnancy - so you should be able to see a swelling in her stomach.
Get the litter tray for sure, and maybe put it in the cupboard, or near, then see how she behaves. Could you ask your vet BTW?

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
If she's looking for a secluded place it might be to have the babies there to keep them safe. I had 2 cats that gave birth in closets. It's safe and warm for the little ones. You're in for a real treat. I loved watching my cats give birth. My kids got a real education too.

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I would most definitely talk with a vet! Even if she's not pregnant, the vet can see if the cat has changed any vital stats any in the past two months and go from there!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
M
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
M
To be quite honest, Lisa, I don't have the extra funds to take her to the vet. We keep checking for signs to see if she is or not. (One of the reasons I believe she will seek refuge in my closet is to "hide" from my grandson who is seven and living with me. LOL)
She just showed up at my door one day and I decided to let her in. She doesn't like to go out that much, so I'm also thinking she may have been someone's cat. She is trained to go in a liter box.
My boyfriend and I have been looking for "signs." He says she's pregant. (He is a "country boy" and I, one with no experience of female felines, I'm kinda taking his word for it. Perhaps I'm just hoping she isn't. LOL)
My question is: what is the gestation period for a cat? This way if she is...I'm prepared. I've had her since before Xmas.

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
If your cat was in heat and had access to a tom (unneutered male) cat, the likelihood that she is pregnant is very strong. A pregnant queen will show both physical and personality changes which will become more evident around three weeks after breeding. The gestation period for cats runs from 60 to 67 days

From About.com Cats

Granny
Thousands of years ago cats were considered Gods
Cats have never forgotten this.
M
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
M
Thanks for the answer. My daughter and I are trying to figure out the "timing," if you will. She showed up just before Christmas and we are in March right now. I'll just wait and see. However, I am in the process of getting in touch with someone who is very knowledgable about cats.

Michelle Roberti
Folklore and Mythology
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I found a great site for all kinds of accurate information on cats (and dogs, too) when my son adopted a new preemie kitten. She seemed to go into heat about 5 or 6 months later and this site has so much info, alphabetically listed, that I was able to answer many of the questions that I was finding myself wondering.

The site is: vetinfo.com

This is some of the simple information that I needed to know and got it from the site with this as the last part of the address: /catnorm.html (of course it begins with www. ) wink

Gestation - 63 days Estrous Cycle - 15 to 21 days Estrus - 4 days

So this would let you know that if your stray came to you pregnant, then she would have had the kittens within 63 days or by the end of February, so I don't think she was pregnant. If she does go outside sometimes and has not been fixed, then she could have gotten pregnant during the time you have had her. There are places that you can get free or near free spaying done. If you are interested, I can give you more info that I have found.

Good luck. I hope this helps and that you enjoy the site. It is a good site run by vets. smile

BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
I know that the operation (spaying) for female cats is worse than for Toms, but it usually makes them more placid and they don't usually roam as far. Plus, it's better for the cat because then she's not having litter after litter of kittens, which I think is really mean. There was a woman that lived near us, and her cat was pregnant constantly (the poor thing), so we reported her to the Cats protection, they do it free over here in the UK. Because there are so many unhomed cats all over the world, and us feline fans can only take in so many.
She def didn't arrive to you pregnant, she might even already be spayed if she's very homely. You wanna get her checked out by a vet just to make sure she's okay anyway smile

Steven Casey
Horror Movies Site
"Whatever you do, don't - fall - asleep!"

Moderated by  Melissa-Catholicism/Cats 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.