Print Thread
#570256 12/12/09 10:16 AM
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Hi, I about 20 years ago, I wrote 3 romance novels that I didn't get published but it was really fun writing them. I used to read a lot of romance, keeping up with current trends but haven't read any in quite a few years.

I was thinking of trying my hand at it again and was wondering what the current trends are? I remember reading a few years ago it was babies, either the heroine or hero was a single parent, or there was a baby or child somehow involved. What current topics are of interest to romance readers?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Joan

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
One question I have too is - how graphic have the sex scenes gotten to be? I know that when I used to read romances, many sex scenes were pretty tame, then they got VERY graphic, which I didn't care for. Also, it seemed to me that the heroines got more coarse over time, swearing and tough, which I also didn't care for. What are current popular writers doing?

What authors would you suggest I read to get an idea of current trends?

Parakeet
Parakeet
Hi, Joan.

The first thing I guess is for you to decide what you like best in romance, which means you need to do quite a lot of reading. <G> Romance doesn't have a lot of limits these days, and there are all sorts of things very popular, particularly paranormal stories. Do you like paranormal at all? Historical? Contemporary? Romantic suspense? Category (ie, Harlequin/Silhouette)? If you can narrow down the subgenre, I'm sure we can come up with all kinds of suggestions for you to start your reading.

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Elizabeth, that sounds great! I love reading paranormal and I'm interested in historical also. I have a degree in history and have done a lot of local history writing. I had an idea for a book actually that kind of mixed the two genres about a woman who runs a historical society museum, with a mystery from the past to solve, perhaps with the help of a spirit. I planned on using our local historical society as a model for the setting.

I'd love your ideas on books I can read to help me research either in paranormal or historical. One of my needs in the research area is just how much historical detail is needed.

Thanks so much! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Okay. Historical paranormal gives me something to work with. <g>

Try some of Mary Jo Putney's 'Guardians' series. Or Emma Holly's Upyr. Maybe Eve Silver or Joy Nash. These should give you some ideas for detail and setting.

J
joanj Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
J
Thanks so much! I'll check on these.

Do you write romances also?

M
M
Hello, Joan, I've read a few of Danielle Steele's. Most of her books seem to be a trend of hers. Work related romance. Involved in meetings and flying around and meeting men while working. Boy meets girl, date, fall in love, marriage. I like her but just got tired of the same thing. I didn't know who else's books to read. I knew I wanted romance. I don't enjoy reading anything murder related. Just wanted fun stuff. I just fininshed: Someone to Love. by Jude Deveraux. I thought it was a good romance story. Again, boy meets girl while working.

Parakeet
Parakeet
It depends on what you're thinking of. Usually the baby books tend to be Harlequin/Silhouette, and if that's what you're looking at, those books never go out of style.

If you're looking more toward single title romances, paranormals are huge, though the vampires that have dominated the last few years are giving way to shapeshifters and demons, and I've even seen a few more time travels in the past year than in several previous years.

Romantic suspense is still going strong, and in the past few years, inspirational romances have gained a bigger share of the market.

Really, except for the traditional Regency romances, there's not much you won't find on the shelf in the romance section of bookstores these days.

Parakeet
Parakeet
There is a lot of explicit sex, language and all these days, especially since erotic romances gained a foothold in recent years, but you'll still find some romances where the bedroom door closes in your face. <g>

Moderated by  Val FictionWrit/RomanceBk 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.