Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#534906 07/07/09 05:27 PM
E
ejlsew Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Help! I started my first project using circular needles, after about 3 inches I realized my work was twisted (not in a circle_ I don't know How I did it but can it be fixed? Or do I have to start over. Thanks

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
You probably have to start over frown I'm so sorry. One of the ways to avoid it is to work back and forth a few rows and then join. It is really hard to not twist your work. These Knitting help.com videos are generally really helpful. But the easiest way I know of to do it is to join them and pay really really close attention or go back a forth for about an inch and then join the circle (at the end you seam the inch with mattress stitch and the join will be invisible.)

At about.com Sarah White states it the best:
Quote:
So what about that �being careful not to twist stitches� part? That�s easy to handle as well. Before you make your join, make sure that all the stitches are facing the same direction. That means all the little loopy bits from casting on the stitches should be on the inside of the circle made by the circular needle, without twisting the edge. Then you can make the join and knit as your pattern lays out.

Last edited by MargeKnits; 07/07/09 05:40 PM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
BellaOnline Editor
Shark
This was so hard for me...I think it easier to learn on double pointed needles before the circular needles. It kinda puts it in perspective I guess. The first sock I made I cussed through for hours...Then I finally just threw it down and said it couldnt be done these people must be crazy...who would think of such a method....I went back and finally figured it out.

Carla Cano
Walking Editor
J
Koala
Koala
J
I'm doing a hat right now on circular needles and did the same thing. I even knew that I needed to check for twisting but it ended up twisted anyway. I did start over with it after knitting about an inch and was VERY careful when I redid it.

I like circular needles tho and use them for lots of things. I like that the needle part can be shorter for knitting baby blankets and such.

joanj #553713 10/05/09 10:31 AM
Gecko
Gecko
I have found that as with everything, twisting your stitches while working in the round is alway possible, but does get easier to recognize and avoid the longer you do it. The knitting guild I'm in, has knitters of every level, and at our monthly meetings we share, one thing that has become very clear to me is that everyone makes mistakes:

1. Twisted stitches.
2. Twisted rows.
3. Not reading the pattern correctly.
4. Getting the gauge wrong.
5. Necklines not lying flat.

etc.

The thing that seems to me is that it is a process, and sometimes we just have to rip it out and re-do it, and say, "Heck, it is all knitting."

How is that for Monday morning philosophy...off to rip out a portion of a sweater!

Last edited by MargeKnits; 10/05/09 10:33 AM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.