Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
Andso, I'm not disagreeing with you. In the sense of parents should know that their children will have to live their own lives. If this means it makes it difficult to care for elderly parents, at home, that's completely understandable. But you do care for your mother in a way, you send her money. You are being responsible for your mother. You would do for her what you have to. You didn't abandon her completely. This is what I mean. You are taking responsibility for your parent in some way. I just personally don't feel it's wrong of a parent to expect to be taken care of by their children. Whether it means, financially or physically. I think that's our responsibility as family. To take care of one another however we can. This is what I meant. Hope I worded it better this time.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
S
Shark
Shark
S
Originally Posted By: Jellyroll

Hell, your parents took care of you and sacrificed, why can't children return the favor? Besides, how could you not feel a responsibility to care for your parents when they're elderly? Everyone with parents has that obligation. Just some are able to care for them on their own, while others can't and have to resort to a home.

Every story is different, but in most cases, people nowadays bring children into this world because they feel like it. They don't take care of you because they are very nice, although may be they are. They are also not doing you a favor. In fact in bringing you into this world they contract the huge moral (and legal) obligation to take care of you and provide for you. They never asked you if you wanted to be in this world. Taking care of you is the least they can do.
Of course if parents do a good job and have nice enough children, the latter may feel the responsability to take care of their parents. (If they can, it occurs to me that when you have children you should be first sure that you can support them, not all children can chose jobs, finances and time to accommodate parents needs)

I thing it is a nice thing when children take care of their old ones. But this is not a give and take situation. The love for your children should be unconditional (at least, that's what you are always lead to believe) You cannot compare the obligations of parents toward their children with the obligation of children toward their parents.

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
Originally Posted By: Solalux
Originally Posted By: Jellyroll

Hell, your parents took care of you and sacrificed, why can't children return the favor? Besides, how could you not feel a responsibility to care for your parents when they're elderly? Everyone with parents has that obligation. Just some are able to care for them on their own, while others can't and have to resort to a home.

Every story is different, but in most cases, people nowadays bring children into this world because they feel like it. They don't take care of you because they are very nice, although may be they are. They are also not doing you a favor. In fact in bringing you into this world they contract the huge moral (and legal) obligation to take care of you and provide for you. They never asked you if you wanted to be in this world. Taking care of you is the least they can do.
Of course if parents do a good job and have nice enough children, the latter may feel the responsability to take care of their parents. (If they can, it occurs to me that when you have children you should be first sure that you can support them, not all children can chose jobs, finances and time to accommodate parents needs)

I thing it is a nice thing when children take care of their old ones. But this is not a give and take situation. The love for your children should be unconditional (at least, that's what you are always lead to believe) You cannot compare the obligations of parents toward their children with the obligation of children toward their parents.

I could not have put in in any better words... Right on Solalux

J
Gecko
Gecko
J
Well then I guess I'm probably the only one here who feels differently. I think it is a give and take situation. I think we are obligated to care for our parents when they age. Is it always possible? Probably not for everyone but I do think it's an obligation simply because it's family. I don't see it as, well, your parents brought you into the world without your consent so if you don't owe them anything kinda deal. I don't feel it works that way. I feel that life is a gift and a blessing. I know many don't feel as I do, but I just don't see how this is a negative way of thinking. I'm not saying parents should force this on their children, I'm simply saying that I don't think it's wrong for parents to expect their children to look after them is all.

A
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
A
yeah... well, thats the beauty with life... countless ways of looking at something... and you know what, we are all entitled to our opinions. I love that. Thats what makes us who we are isn't it? And it's fine... just as long as we don't impose our convictions on others ofcourse. Good for you, and good for me... and we all do what we can. Gotta love diversity.

Last edited by Andso?; 05/15/09 01:22 AM.
J
Gecko
Gecko
J
Andso, then that would apply to those who didn't seem very happy with Mary Tea's answer now wouldn't it? As I was saying there wasn't anything wrong with her asking her children to look after her when she's old. Funny how we were both making the same point, eh? Mary Tea also has her own point of view. Let me make something very clear here, I wasn't forcing my opinion on everyone. I never said you HAD to do what I say. I said I personally believed otherwise. My posts mention that over and over again. If I'm going to be made to seem as if I was forcing my opinion down everyone's throat, then many here are guilty of doing the same. Yet because I continued to discuss it, I get pointed out. I didn't mean to offend anyone and I had apologized in my earlier posts.

I had an aunt and uncle who didn't have kids. My uncle died of a heart attack fairly young. My aunt moved into an apartment and took care of herself into her 80s with a couple of nieces and nephews calling or visiting every day. When she finally became too frail to live independently she moved into assisted living with the nieces and nephews visiting till she, too, died of a heart attack.

Susan Kramer, Learning Disabilities Editor
Ebook Manager
ebooks at bellaonline dot com
Learning Disabilities site
Learning Disabilities forum
My instructional texts
In my own family situation with my parents. My mother died fairly quickly and young at age 58 at home while married to my stepfather who took care of her with hospice coming in.

With my father, my stepmother predeceased him. My single brother moved in to our father's house and took care of him physically till he passed away - he had had 2 strokes. My father had enough savings to support himself and my brother who devoted full-time care to our father.

Susan Kramer, Learning Disabilities Editor
Ebook Manager
ebooks at bellaonline dot com
Learning Disabilities site
Learning Disabilities forum
My instructional texts
M
M
My parents are in their 70s with failing health, I visit once a week and I am always at the other end of a phone, HOWEVER having children does not guarantee you a happy old age and I am not my parents carer. I would not have them in pain but I would not have them live with me either. I have my own life thank you. Has anyone ever been into a retirement home? Do you know how many elderly people living in a retirement home, who have children and who never see them? It is not the job of children to become their parents parent. My husband and I will look after ourselves or the state will look after us (after all we have paid our taxes for a least 40 years (when we retire). Remember the CF are not as selfish as parents as we expect nothing.

M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Oh so sorry I didn't look ahead to see which forum had asked the question!I was just answering the question, that's all! I tell them that because I worked for a long time at a nursing center and I have fear of going into one.
I did not have children for the purpose of taking care of us when we grew older. I am insulted.

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/01/24 01:09 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.