#520779 05/14/09 12:00 PM
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
It's easy to get addicted to nasal sprays, such as Afrin and Neo-Synephrine. After all, they promise miracle relief from congestion if used properly for just 3-5 days. The problem is some individuals fail to read the warning on the label, use them more than prescribed and become addicted. If you are addicted to nasal sprays, you can find relief. Read the latest post, "Nasal Spray Addiction," on the Allergies and Colds page at http://bellaonline.com/site/allergiesandcolds
If you have other suggestions on how to find relief from nasal sprays, please post them here.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Allergies and Colds Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Thanks Sheree, I have tried the withdrawal program your talking about from the book "the Sinus Cure" With NO luck at all.
Now I'm trying something on my own, My congestion is so bad, but I'm still trying to beat this nasal spray addiction I've had for sooo long. I have started using nasal spray in ONE nostril only. and only at bedtime. I'm hoping once i can breath on my own through that one unsprayed nostril, I can stop using the nasal spray in the other. I,m desperate to be rid of this addiction.

Rosie L
S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
I hope what you're trying works for you. Keep us posted on how you're doing. If you end up needing other options, you might want to consider yeast syndrome. This problem should be suspected in anyone with chronic sinus and upper respiratory conditions and allergies, runny nose, postnasal drip, mucus in the throat, itchy ears or chronic sore throat, according to C. Orian Truss, a physician, who wrote �The Missing Diagnosis.� Read more about it in my article, "Missing Diagnosis," at http://bellaonline.com/site/allergiesandcolds

Last edited by Sheree-Allergies; 05/17/09 06:50 PM.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Great Article,
Well its a week today that i stopped spraying BOTH nostrils, Only spraying the right one at bedtime. Now the left side with NO spray is only congested now n then. I find myself breathing much better when its not congested or as much congested "am i making any sense"
There still is congestion in the left side but unstuffing more on its own. It hasn't been easy, so many times i wanted to give in and get relief with just a spray. "away" But i haven't given in. I'm still not breathing clear enough to stop spraying the the right side. But i have hope And i will continue with what i'm doing for a while more. I'm trying to help myself, The nasal sprays are so harmfull. And i have a long time addiction to them. Good luck to all who are trying to kick the spray bottle.

Rosie L
Gecko
Gecko
Great articles Sheree!

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Thanks for sharing how you are doing. It offers encouragement to others.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
Well, Its been since May 11th that i started using the nasal spray only at night and only in one nostril, I have to say its NOT working. I have finally made an appointment with a ENT doctor in July, guess i'll have to keep spraying till then. But at least i made the appointment I just want to be able to breath through my nose :o(
(ENT ear nose & throat)
Good luck to every one that is trying to kick the nasal spray addiction.

Rosie L
N
Shark
Shark
N

Ahhh, nasal spray addiction. I remember it well. You really do get worse blockage when you try NOT to use it. I gradually decreased using it by taking a decongestant, Sudafed or Actifed, interally and using Vicks, hot steam over the sink or just sniff the jar. Every once in a while I'd slip and give myself a blast or two but it did take a few weeks to actually STOP using it altogether. I didn't know I had the addiction until I ran out of it once. I went crazy til I go some more. The reason you get blocked worse while using it is called the "Rebound Effect".

S
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
S
Sorry you weren't able to get your nose unblocked. Hopefully, you will find the solution as you keep searching for answers.

Sheree Welshimer
Allergies and Colds
M
M
I was "addicted" to nasal sprays for nearly 40 years before I found a way to kick the habit. I was using a bottle of Dristan or Afrin every week and would sometimes spray both sinuses as often as 3 or 4 times per hour (not 3 or 4 times a day), so here's what I did and it worked. I went to Wal-Mart and bought the measuring medicine cup/eye dropper set you would normally use to give kids cough syrup or other meds (cost was about $2.50). Then I bought a one oz bottle of Equate saline nasal spray. Then I started mixing the saline spray with my regular nasal spray. The first 2 weeks I mixed 90% nasal spray and 10% saline. The second 2 weeks I mixed 80% nasal spray and 20% saline. The 3rd week I went to a 60% - 40% mix and then a week later went to 50/50. Over a two month time span I slowly worked my way to a 90% saline and 10% nasal spray mix. After a week or two of that mix I went to 100% saline spray which I used about 2 times a day. Now a bottle of saline spray lasts me more than 2 months. I only use it first thing in the morning when I get out of bed. The really great thing I noticed right in the beginning was that the pain and severe burning in my nasal passages went away 100%. It's now been almost two years, I still carry my nasal spray bottle with saline in it, but I am completely free from the Dristan/Afrin nasal sprays and I've stopped pulling the bottle out of my pocket several times a day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Sheree-Allergies 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.