Next Thread
Print Thread
#511091 04/09/09 07:19 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK today I decided to go whole hog and use my own hand made hot oil, then shampoo, then rinse.

To start easy with the hot oil I simply poured some olive oil into a measuring cup, stuck it in the microwave for 20 seconds, and then brought it upstairs with me. It worked fine! It was maybe a little more "tacky" then commercial hot oils, a little less "silky". It's hard to describe things like this. But it coated well, washed off well, and is giving my hair a nice shine.

I have coconut oil here too to play with, and I hear that jojoba oil is also good so I'm ordering some of that. I'll let you know what I think the differences are.

Does anyone else use hot oil at all - either commercial or hand-made?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Elephant
Elephant
I use a commercial silk oil blend. It is a hair oil that has silk protein and miceo ground ceramic. I love the combination and the cationic covalent bonding that happens with silk protein, ceramic and hair. Adds natural shine, strength, and softness all in one.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Zebra
Zebra
I used to use hot oil when I had long hair.

Even though my hair was not "dry", it got dried out on the ends from coloring & blow-drying.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Hmmmm, I've been doing research into silk protein. Apparently it is primarily a coater, so it forms a "layer" over each hair which doesn't wash away by the subsequent shampoo step. Which would make sense smile It appears then the next time you use the silk protein it makes another layer, and so on. So I would need to research how to "strip" those layers occasionally to keep my hair clean and fresh.

The cationic part is the adhesion system, simply that it's positive charged so it offsets static (negative) charges. So that part seems easy!

I'll get myself some silk protein base and try adding that into some of my hot oils, and see what happens after a few days vs using straight hot oil! Thanks for the idea!

Low Carb Forum
Elephant
Elephant
very much so.. the cationic covalent bonding is the pos charge oil to the neg charge hair ;0)

It is also used in treating skin disorders and conditions with light and electro therapy

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I want to clarify that I do like the idea of silk protein! I ordered some and will be trying it out. I wasn't sure if my message sounded a bit critical, I didn't mean for it to. In fact, the oil I was using was also a "coater". When I used it my hair was almost wet looking all day long (like greasy/wet) and even the next day when I just used a shampoo and rinse it was still greasy. It was only the third day when I used a "store" shampoo that I got all the oil off.

So oil is a coater too. So I have to figure out how to use little enough that it doesn't slime the hair, but enough that it helps the hair. And also, I do think for oil and silk protein that every X days there should be a clarifying step that clears it all off the hair so there isn't build up and starts fresh. So I need to research that.

I also want to say that my head and skin all feel AWESOME while I'm using these natural products so it's well worth it even while I figure out the ratios and such.

Low Carb Forum
Hot Oil Treatment with Olive oil-Honey. All you need is 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. honey. Mix and warm it.Apply from scalp to hair. Twist hair with a warm towel. After 20 min. wash hair and shampoo.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Sophie - I used olive oil the last time and it was nice but heavy. I'd worry that it would be even heavier / stickier with honey in it! I think I need to add something into it to lighten it up smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK in the spirit of "being open to new ideas" I did try the olive oil and honey idea. I did NOT leave it on for 20 minutes. I have found at least with my hair that leaving it on for more than 5 minutes doesn't help at all. The hair by that point has absorbed all it's going to absorb and the rest of the time is a waste. I'm not sure that I believe any time would benefit from more than 5 minutes of sitting in oil, but I would have to do tests with friends to show that. A hair strand is only so thick, and oil only takes so long to soak into it. I can say definitively that for my hair, it has done all it's going to do by 5 minutes.

Just as last time, my hair was oily and gross looking afterward. My boyfriend commented that it looked greasy like it hadn't been washed in a week. So I definitely feel that this is too heavy a formula and am going to work on lighter solutions.

Low Carb Forum

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/11/24 04:36 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/09/24 08:32 AM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/01/24 04:43 PM
Springtime Sewing Projects
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/01/24 10:57 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/28/24 05:54 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.