Print Thread
K
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
K
Your local library offers a lot of great free resources including internet service, movies, magazines and newspapers, etc. Do you find you're using your local library more than in the past?

The internet has made it possible to "ask a Librarian" a question without actually going to the library. You can get answers to reference questions online through the Ask a Librarian services offered by libraries.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I'm afraid I rarely go into the library any more. I can read most classics online, and do most research online. I'm canceling my newspaper subscription because I don't want to deal with the paper and recycling. We get our movies through NetFlix.

I wonder how libraries are doing in general with the internet having so much information on it. I remember when I was a student that I would panic if I couldn't get to the library to get books to help me with my research for a school project. Nowadays I would just hop on the internet.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Chimpanzee
Online Content
Chimpanzee
A
Originally Posted By: Lisa Low Carb Ed
I'm afraid I rarely go into the library any more. I can read most classics online, and do most research online. I'm canceling my newspaper subscription because I don't want to deal with the paper and recycling. We get our movies through NetFlix.

I wonder how libraries are doing in general with the internet having so much information on it. I remember when I was a student that I would panic if I couldn't get to the library to get books to help me with my research for a school project. Nowadays I would just hop on the internet.

Libraries are well although during times of economic downturns, their services are sometimes the first to get cut. Our library offers Internet, films, CDs and DVDs, books on tape, book discussion groups, story time for children, research for genealogy, and the general things that libraries do. I would be lost without the daily paper. There is more in the paper than on the website and there is something about reading the paper while nestled in an easy chair. I don't like to read books online. You're trapped at the monitor. I like to take it with me - books or my iPod. That being said about the iPod - I do not like to sit in a chair and listen. I get too distracted.

Last edited by Angie; 04/26/09 08:33 PM.
K
K
I love the internet and probably use it far too much but I live in a small town in Italy and the local library has been invaluable to me for learning Italian. Reading is such an essential part of learning a foreign language and books are so expensive in Italy so I'm very grateful that libraries exist and long may they continue to do so. regardless of the advances in technology, there's nothing quite like turning the pages of a book :)

Tiger
Tiger
Yes, I am in love with my libraries no matter where I am. And yes, it would be nice to have internet at home, but right now it is too expensive. Being able to access the internet for FREE is right up my alley smile

Great subject...

Gecko
Gecko
I'm thinking of taking a membership of my local library soon actually.

I love music, movies!! I write at mag for women in free time.
Amoeba
Amoeba
I do, I love it. It's such a peaceful place and I can get a lot done. Though hate it when they have Baby/Toddler mornings where they have craft afterwards at the study tables. I don't mind story time or singing nursery rhymes. Craft mornings [censored] me off as I can't study.

S
S
i like to go to library once a week, read some interesting books, and i feel peace in that place.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
I'm glad to see that you can borrow e-books now and noticed our library has a discount to rent movies and video games. Since we have young kids, the library will still pay off for awhile for us so will use it more for activities etc. for them.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.