logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
I've had several people asking by email how to start the process in writing for publication. I would also like to know what interests, questions, or concerns you the most about writing for publication. This includes both nonfiction article and book writing.

I am posting at least one article per week (and maybe more) and would like to meet the most needs in these articles to help get people past writing hurdles.

If you could post your questions or concerns about writing, I'll see which ones to address first. Thanks. Glenda

Glenda Schoonmaker, Nonfiction Editor
Nonfiction Website
Nonfiction Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hey Glenda,

This isn't necessarily a question. But I wonder if sometime you might do an article about query letters, what types of information is the most important to put in, what to leave out and that sort of thing. I have been sending queries out for sometime to magazines and have had some limited sucess with them. I would just like to know how to query better, so to speak.

Thank you...

L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Hi Glenda:

Like Debbie I'm also starting to send out queries, my first ever. I usually pitch to publications I know already, then I write the whole article and hand in. Now I'd like to pitch to national women's magazines, but have yet to get started. I have notes on an idea but it seems too broad.

Any information you can provide on thinking up and structuring ideas would be helpful.

thanks

Leah

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

G
OP Offline
G
To Debbie and Leah,

I think an article about writing query letters is a great idea. Look for it very soon. As I'm sure you already know, they are the best way to open the door for an editor to want to see your work.

Glenda Schoonmaker, Nonfiction Editor
Nonfiction Website
Nonfiction Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
L
Thank Glenda. I look forward to reading the article. I put some notes together for a query letter and posted to a writers group, so I feel better now that I've taken the first step.

LEAH MULLEN
LIFE COACHING

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
Hi Glenda,
I'm looking forward to query letters too.

I'm mostly interested in how to get started once you know what you want to write about.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
I am looking to publish a nonfiction book for my first time but I do not know if its better to go through an agent or go right to the publisher. I assume that there is more then me out there with the same questions about it, would you be able to write an article on this? Im wondering if going in a crtain direction is better for getting pubished the first time. Also maybe pros and cons or a comparision of the two(kind of a agent vs. publisher)would be good ideas for an article

Cavelle Layes
Canadian Culture
T
T
Hi CulturalCanuck. This is teddyeno (Ian). How are you? Go right to the publisher; don't go through an agent because that gets too expensive. By the way, what non-fiction book have you written? Do you like to do any sort of creative, non-fiction writing? Would you like to know about my writing project?

C
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
C
Thanks for the tip teddy smile
I was told that its best to wait to write non-ficition until after you find a publisher (and the opposite for fiction) I dont know if this is true but I was going by that. I have a tonnnnn of notes and little bits started already but was waiting to put it all together. My first book was going to be about opening a dayhome in Canada. I have worked in the childcare field for 9 years and the hardest part was when I opened my own dayhome. It cost me a ton and I was kind of at a loss of what to do. Since the economy slowed down more and more people are opening dayhomes and I thought it would be a great time to share what I learned. I could not find anything to help me out when I starte d so I want to provide a kind of survival guide for getting through the first year alive and not farther in debt then when you began.

I love writing creative non-ficition, writting even essays in school have always been kind of fun for me, even if I dont know much about the subject and research is required.

I would love to hear about your writing project!

Cavelle Layes
Canadian Culture
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Cavelle, if you have a really interesting self-help business story its sometimes OK to just approach the publisher with a proposal and one chapter!

If they like you and feel your success story is warming and could help enough other people they will commission you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 05/27/24 08:37 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 05/27/24 08:26 PM
Outside the Box Sewing
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/25/24 12:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 05/21/24 01:27 PM
Fabric Flowers for Spring
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/15/24 10:40 PM
Review - Animated Illustrations by Jamie Bartlett
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/14/24 02:52 PM
Review - Adobe Animate Essential Training
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Learn EVERYTHING about Creating Repeat Patterns
by Digital Art and Animation - 05/12/24 05:04 PM
Sewing Sheer Fabrics
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 05/08/24 01:27 PM
Moisturizing Winter Skin the Right Way
by gigi333 - 05/03/24 01:58 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.