logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I am a big user of the Inox Nickel plated circular needles with the black cord. The cord never kinks. I recently for some lace work I purchased Addi turbos lace needles. Now here is the question. Do any of you have a recommendation of interchangeable needle sets? I keep hearing about Denise and Knitpicks Harmony. Would you mind sharing the good, the bad, the happy the sad?

I'm interested in the stiffness of the cord and does the yarn catch at the join, or does the cable ever just come off...Those kinds of things.

Thanks

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
N
N
I just signed up, and have been pondering this very question myself. I'm afraid I am unable to answer your question but hope that someone will come to our aid. I don't know if you are aware that Addi Turbo has interchangeables as well. I only use Addi's, but since I am looking for a set, I'd like the points to be a bit more sharp, I'm hearing good things about the Options set by Knit picks. Does anyone have any information to add? Thank you

Gecko
Gecko
I just ordered a set of Options (metal instead of the wood harmony) and mine are wonderful. I have a boye set and now the Options (that is what I am comparing it to) and the cables are wonderful. The needles seem "slicker" than the boyes, so far nothing catches on anything. The only bad thing I have heard about both options and harmony is that a few have a factory defect but Knit Picks stands behind their product and if you have a problem they send you a new one immediately (which I have also heard they do a really good job of this). A girl in our group has the Harmony set and she just loves them, the only reason I did not order them was because I am a total klutz and figured I would more than likely break them at some point and they are way too pretty. I don't work for Knit Picks but you can always ask them questions before you purchase.

R
R
I have the Boye set. I find that stitches do catch at the join. Especially for the smaller-sized needles or really "fragile" yarns.

I love having all sizes of needles in one compact kit. The Boye set comes with these screw on "ends" so you can create seperate needles with flexible cords if you don't want circulars. My set is now about 8 years old and looks it. The needles' color is scratched off on some of the more regularly used sizes.

I have never looked into the other brands. I guess it is time to do so.

All in all, the concept of interchangeables is a great idea. Whether you use one brand or another is probably an individual preference such as, do you prefer needles that are sharply pointed, do you like slippery needles like the Addi's, that sort of thing. In my book, they are worth the investment once you decide on the type that suits you.

Hope this is helpful.

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I have always loved the idea of interchangeables and have heard, here and elsewhere, that the Knit picks ones are very good. I'm definitely thinking of investing in them.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
M
M
i have heard the interchangeable needles. now that the tips and cables can be changed easily, so i wonder they will come off when knitting. since this case happened frequently. i am not a fan of the brand, i prefer the needles which are cheap and easy to work with. i have received my needles from 8season-knitting.com they have fabulous needles and unbeatable price.

We believe doing one thing, and doing it very very well.
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I looked at the interchageable set on knitpiks.com as this is something I'm definitely interested in. I just completed a scarf using my size 6 round bamboo needles with some vintage wool yarn I found at Goodwill. It's striped in a soft blue and chocolate brown and came out wonderfully.

I was dissappointed this set carried only 2 cable lengths. Is there a set of these interchangeables that has the shorter lengths of cable, like 8 or 10 inches? If I'm going to invest that kind of money, I want the set to be extremely versatile.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I haven't heard of interchangeables coming with the short cables, let me know if you find any. What do you use the shorter cables for?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
I've used my bamboo rounds (size US 6)which are 16" (total length) for baby hats. I transferred to the double pointed needles for the decrease on the baby hats. I've also done a scarf knitted in the round. It came out wonderfully and I'd like to have larger needles to do a few more with different yarns. But I want them to be about 4" wide so I would need the shorter cables.

I poked around on the internet the other day and found the individual circular needles with the smaller length cables. However, it would be great, and maybe cost effective, to have an interchangeable set with a larger variety of cable sizes.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I was poking around on the internet for interchangeables with shorter cables too (after your post), but couldn't find any...I wonder if that could be an entreprenueral opportunity!?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.