Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#449463 09/03/08 07:54 AM
R
Rinda Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Yesterday I was asking about Sullivan Yarns out of Australia. The funny thing about this pattern was the gauge of 19st=1in on size 5's. Seeing as I couldn't find any yarn with that particular gauge, I took the suggestion to create a swatch with different yarns I already have in my stash.

I noticed that the gauge didn't say anything about using stockinette stitch for a sample. So I knitted up a swatch using the pattern stitch for the body of the sweater and came out exactly at the right gauge. Turns out the yarn is DK (at least my swatch was). I thought that yarn was going to be too heavy, but the "hand" of the knitting felt nice.

Anyway, back to my topic. What makes a swatch? Am I correct to use the pattern stitch if it doesn't specify stockinette stitch? I have seen patterns specify the gauge is using the pattern, this one didn't do that either. It simply said, 19sts to 10cm (4in) using 3.75mm needles. Or is it assumed that one uses the stockinette stitch no matter what?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I believe it is generally stockinette stitch, but in the book When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters (p. 9) the authors suggest that the swatch should always be in the stitch pattern. I suspect and I could be wrong that the swatch on the yarn package is generally stockinette, but the swatch in a pattern in stockinette.

I'm glad the yarn and needles worked out, should be a lovely sweater. Can/will you post pictures as you work on it?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
hi Marge, you might like to look up Elizabeth Zimmermann's book "Knitter's Almanac" about this issue - she discusses it in the chapter about the Aran sweater.

I'm always studying stitch gauges in patterns to see if I can substitute with something in my outsized stash, and 9 times out of 10 if the garment is in a stitch other than stocking stitch the gauge given is for the pattern stitch. This unless you know the yarn in question can make substitution (if necessary) difficult.

I happen to think that garment designers should give both the stocking stitch gauge AND the pattern stitch gauge (and the standard gauge in stocking stitch if a gauge other than standard has been used) but that's just my opinion. Obviously this doesn't matter so much in a lace stole or shawl, but it is crucial in obtaining the correct fit for the garment when the original yarn used is no longer available.

How about we start a BellaOnline collection of related yarn and pattern gauges? I have all the Barbara Walker collections and several Harmony collections and the leftovers from a sweater could easily be converted to a number of pretty dishcloths in different stitch patterns for this purpose! And my knitting usually (though not always) comes out at about the tension stated on the ball band.

Last edited by Gillian - Classical Music; 09/03/08 10:48 AM.
R
Rinda Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I will be happy to post pictures of the progress! I need to get this thing done before the baby goes to college, LOL!

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
Good luck with the knitting, Rinda!

Gecko
Gecko
I will definitely check it out and also Vogue Knitting handbook.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.