logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#324857 06/26/07 05:45 AM
M
OP Offline
M
My grandmother is suffering from skin disease. Trying to help her find a product she could use to relieve her pain and arthritis, I finally had enough. Nothing seems to work. The worst pain you could ever feel is watching a family member you love suffer while you stand by helpless to do anything about it. Sometimes just the simple act of sitting drove her to tears. So seeing them suffer when they should be enjoying life was very hard to bear. I had enough. I just had to do something about it.
Out of frustration, I researched through countless books and the Internet trying to find out as much information as I could about... I came across this:

Celestone http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3160-s-CELESTONE.aspx is a corticosteroid. It reduces swelling. Celestone is used for many conditions, among them: allergic reactions, skin diseases (psoriasis, hives), breathing problems; certain cancers, blood disorders, and eye problems; arthritis, digestive problems, and for hormone replacement.

Can anyone tell me more about this??

Sponsored Post Advertisement
mexicangirl #324895 06/26/07 09:59 AM
C
Shark
Shark
C
Has she consulted a doctor? It's my understanding that anything with a steroid in it has the potential to be harmful if used too long or too much. The two side effects I've heard of are (1) triggering your body to stop producing its own natural steroids and (2) weakening your bones; but I do not know what side effects Celestone, in particular, might produce. I'd be careful and check with a doctor. A good place to start would be with a dermatologist, if she hasn't seen one already. Dermatologists specialize in skin disorders. Also, I wonder if a neurologist could help--because painful skin could point to some kind of problem with nerve endings. A rheumatologist may be able to do something helpful with the arthritis. Good luck.

cela
My daughter is covered from head to toe with psoriasis and suffering with joint pain as well. This is her senior year and cannot get it under control. Is there any advice to help her through this? She is showing signs of depression.

Someone please help!

Les cry

Leslie R.

For God so loved the world,
that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him
should not perish,
but have everlasting life.

John 3:16
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Using ointments and creams that lubricate the skin (emollients) once or twice a day can keep the skin moist.
Ointments containing Corticosteroids are effective, and their effectiveness can be enhanced by applying them and then wrapping the area in cellophane. Vitamin D cream is also effective in many patients.
Ointments and creams containing salicylic acid or coal tar are also used to treat psoriasis. Most of these medications are applied twice a day to the effected area.
Stronger medications like Anthralin are used sometimes, but they can irritate the skin and stain sheets and clothing. When the scalp is affected, shampoos containing these active ingredients are often used.
Ultraviolet light also can help clear up psoriasis. In fact during summer months exposed regions of affected skin may clear up spontaneously. Exposure to ultraviolet light under controlled conditions is another common therapy.
For extensive psoriasis,such light therapy may be supplemented by Psoralens drugs that make the skin extra sensitive to the effects of ultraviolet light. The combination of psoralens and ultraviolet light (PUVA)is usually effective and may clear up the skin for several months.
However, PUVA treatment can increase the risk of skin cancer from ultraviolet light; therefore the treatment must be closely supervised by a doctor.
For serious forms of psoriasis and widespread psoriasis, a doctor may give Methotrexate. Used to treat some forms of cancer, this drug interferes with the growth and multiplication of skin cells.
Doctors use Methotrexate for people who don't respond to other forms of therapy.
It can be effective in extreme cases but may cause adverse effects on bone marrow, kidneys, and liver.
Another effective medication, Cyclosporine, also has serious side effects.
The two most effective medications for treating pustular psoriasis are Etretinate and Isotretinoin which are also used to treat severe acne.
Taken from The Merck Manual

Rosie L

Moderated by  healtheditor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/26/24 04:27 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/26/24 02:20 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.